Is it an allergy?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Is it an allergy?

Recently, I have these itchy spots all over my body. I first thought it was a normal allergy and that it would fade away by itself. But, it turns out to be more severe. The itchy spots are everywhere. What types of allergy could it be?
These itchy spots can be due to hives. The mainstay of treatment of hives is antihistamine which may be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks).Non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine(Zyrtec) or Loratadine(Claritin) may be needed to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine(Benadryl) is used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment.

If the hives don’t go after 6 wks of treatment also, then it can be a case of chronic urticaria which needs further evaluation as it may be due to auto antibodies. Please  consult an allergist then.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.