Is it possible to transmit anal warts to baby?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I'm hoping that a doctor can answer my questions about anal warts and the risk that they could be passed to my 10-month-old baby.

My husband has recently been diagnosed with anal warts.  This came as a huge surprise to him and me as we have been together in a monogamous relationship for 16 years (since we were 16 years old) and when we met he was a virgin.  The doctor mentioned that warts can easily be passed from skin to skin and if it wasn't from intercourse (which he insists it wasn't), that they could have come from my or his finger.  I don't know if I have HPV -- I have no warts anywhere on my body, so this notion that they could have been transmitted to him from my finger confuses me.  The worst part of it all is that this possible "transmission route" has me beside myself with fear that one of us could pass them to our baby when we change her diaper.  If we both have the virus, does it live on our hands at all times?  Neither of us have warts on our hands, we wash our hands constantly (including before and after changing her, etc., etc.), but is it possible for us to pass it on her?  A typical diaper change involves wiping down her diaper area with a warm cloth (which we ring out with our washed hands) and then application of diaper cream with a clean finger before putting on a clean diaper.

Thanks for your expertise.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers