Dermatology Community
Is radiation for basal cell safe?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is radiation for basal cell safe?

Dr. Rockoff:

My daughter who is 31 years old has a nodular infiltrative basal cell on the side of her nose.  We have seen numerous mohs and plastic surgeons, all of which believe that with surgery she will ultimately have a flap done from her cheek (her basal cell is on the nostril and her dermatologist believes it will probably be deep).  While doing research on the web, I discovered that there is an option of radiation.  We went to the Chief Plastic Surgeon at the University of Miami and asked him about the possiblity of radiation.  After examining her, he agreed that due to the severity and location of the leision, that radiation may be the way to go.  He requested the slides of the biopsy, which we are awaiting at this time, and is sending her to a radiation oncologist for an opinion after review of the slides.  We know very little about radiation and after reading one your your answers on this site, I understand that there are some major risks.  What may those be for a 31 year old.  Are there many treatments involved, what about scarring?  I asked a friend who had radiation for breast cancer and she said she did not have any scarring on her skin after the radiation.  Is that also true for the nose?  I would so appreciate your opinion on this and what are the advantages of one over the other (mohs)?  Why do most dermatologists suggest Mohs over radiation which is less invasive?
Thank you.

This discussion is related to Radiation vs surgery.