Dermatology Expert Forum
Is this dermal atrophy permanent?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Is this dermal atrophy permanent?

I recently started going to a dermatologist for the treatment of a keloid scar caused by acne. I've gone twice and both times he has used laser treatment (Cynosure Long Pulse V-Star Dye Laser) and Cortisone (Triamcinolone/Kenalog) steroid injections. I've recently noticed a depression or whole in my face in the treated area (right under cheek bone). I've had it for over a month and the doctor assures me that, in his words, it will "spring back up" and that is not permanent, but I'm very concerned that it is and that the injections have caused permanent muscle wasting. I'm afraid this will require surgery to fill out or elevate the skin. Is my doctor right, or do I have permanent damage?
Injections of cortisone can cause atrophy (depression of the skin), but this is not permanent.  It generally takes up to six months for the tissue to come back, but it does.  

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff