Is this herpes or an infected pimple?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Is this herpes or an infected pimple?

For the past years, I've been trying to treat my acne.  I've made great progress recently but now....THIS had to happen.

On sunday night, I felt something painful on my lip.  I looked in the mirror, it was a whitehead.  The next day, Monday, the whitehead got bigger and it looked like a huge zit.  It really hurt.  My mother looked at it and figured it was a huge white head.  She squeezed it and pus came out.  It didn't hurt anymore.  The next day, Tuesday, I looked in the mirror to see the whitehead was still there but smaller.  My mom squeezed it again, got some pus but no seed.  Then the next day, Wednesday which was yesterday, I felt something hurt on my lip where that zit was.  I looked in the mirror, it got red and swollen and it looked like something was there.  Later in the day...it looked like a cold sore with all these lesions or blisters on my upper lip where that zit was and it hurt.  Today, it still looks at it did yesterday only now more visible.  My mother said it looked like a herpes.  I went to my University clinic and did a blood test for HSV 1 and HSV 2.  Results would take two days.  The Nurse Practitioner said it was a cold sore but she didn't see what it was before where it looked like a huge whitehead, a zit....

WHAT HAPPENED?!!

Everything was going up and up and THIS HAPPENS??!!  I don't understand,  it looked exactly like a whitehead, it wasn't a blister to begin with.  My mom and I know what a blister looks like on the lips but this looked like the whiteheads I've been getting with acne on my face...I don't know if the blood test would be reliable now if it said negative...Do I now have to worry about herpes or is this somehow a zit that turned into that since a seed didn't come out?
From the symptoms the initial lesion sounds like an infected hair follicle but the blisters can be due to cold sores due to HERPES 1. Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down. You need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for replying Dr. Kaur.

To keep you updated, I haven't gotten the results yet from the blood test.  Right now, it doesn't hurt.  I can barely feel it, it's kind of like dry skin and it's barely noticeable.  This is the fourth day since the blisters.  There's something red there so I don't know if it's open,  I've been told left and right on how it is herpes, how it's not.  My acupuncturist gave me something to help and I guess what it looks like now is a result of that.

I am still trying to figure out how I could have gotten this if it was recent.  I'm not sexually active, never had sex.  I don't have a girlfriend so I haven't kissed anyone except family but on the cheek.  I didn't share a drink with anyone or share a towel with anyone.  I didn't touch a cold sore.
The test results came back positive, said my antibodies was greater than 5.  Must've gotten it a long time ago.  Oh well....
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers