Dermatology Community
Is tumor visible on removed skin layer
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is tumor visible on removed skin layer

I had small black bump removed by dermatologist, and waiting 2 weeks for biopsy.
Until biopsy is done it's hard to diagnose, but could anyone tell me is it possible distinguish between melanoma and benign lesson based on sectional view of removed bump, by naked eye?
Dermatologist said that it doesn't look like there is layer of possible tumor cells on removed skin under bump.

In case of melanoma excision, are tumor cells on removed skin visible to naked eye?
When tumor cell thickness is 1mm, is it visible on removed skin?

Thank You
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Melanomas are usually >6 mm in size,with irregular borders ,asymmetrical and dark in color.  Melanoma has an irregular border, is asymmetrical,uneven color and increasing in size. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. Regarding the appearance of the layer of the lesion that is removed by biopsy, According to Clark's level (involvement of skin structures) and Breslow's depth (measured in millimeters) and published in Wikipedia, the preferred surgical margin for the initial biopsy should be narrow (1 mm) in order to prevent the disruption of the local lymphatic drainage and malignant cells if any can be seen in this biopsy after staining under a microscope.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Blank
Thanks.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703