Isotretinoin (Accutane- low dosages) and its effect on the epiphyseal plate.
Hello Doctors,

I've just been recently prescribed by my dermatologist Isotretinoin (accutane) and am on my 4th day of treatment. After  doing extensive research on how accutane affects growth, it really concerns me as I'm currently only 16 years and 8 months old and hence am still in the growing stage of my life. My dermatologist however has prescribed me a very low dosage of 10mg per day for 7 consecutive days, after which would be switching onto a 30mg PER WEEK dose. My body mass is currently 65kg and am significantly below the minimal dose of the suggested 0.5 mg/kg/day boundary. Will the dose of accutane I'm currently prescribed compromise the development and growth rate of my bones?

Thanks in advance.

Ky
Hello,I can only quote a reference which finds no such relationship between isoretinoin and bone .Do consult your doc.

Conclusion
The use of isotretinoin for 20 weeks for the treatment of severe acne vulgaris does not appear to have any substantial adverse effect on bone mineralization.

Arch Dermatol. 1996;132:769-774

Best wishes.
Thanks for the prompt reply, however many reports by users and researches conducted have proven otherwise. In one case, scientists have administered accutane dosages (isotretinoin) to hamsters and have concluded that it has caused the closure of the epiphyseal plate. A big handful of patients have also claimed little or no growth at all after completing their prescription for accutane. It is also quoted on wikipedia, that isotretinoin acutally promotes stunted growth.
Children exposed to high doses are at risk for premature epiphyseal closure,is something I know about. But then hyperostosis of temporal bone in a couple of cases on long term therapy in adults has been reported.
This may not apply to everybody, but awareness pays.
Best wishes.
Thanks, I should keep that in mind. I guess the dosage I am currently on is considered low in medical standards. I've already put my dosage on hold for 2 days now as I'm still unfazed about what accutane can do to my bones. There is a very minimal amount of research done on low dose accutane and it's side effects including that on epiphyseal plate available on the net. I guess it's a relatively novel thing?
Quite so.There are quite a few side-effects like teratogenicity which occuopies the scientific mind more than these leeser known!