It is boils or HS?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

It is boils or HS?

my sister has a chronic, debilating condition.  She has reoccrring boils.  It does seems to run in her family.  But it is very debilitating and painful.  She had two in the groin area.  She had to have surgery but the doctor never said what it was.  Three weeks later more reoccur on her buttocks.  She feels very depressed and run down and sometimes even feverish.  Can you help?

This discussion is related to boils.
Tags: boils
A boil is a skin infection that starts in a hair follicle or oil gland. At first, the skin turns red in the area of the infection, and a tender lump develops. After four to seven days, the lump starts turning white as pus collects under the skin.Most boils are caused by a bacteria called Staphylococcus.
If you frequently get boils, your doctor may want to do a blood test to see if you have diabetes.
Warm compresses on the boils can reduce the pain and hasten the expulsion of pus.
Hidradenitis suppurativa or HS is a skin disease that affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands and hair follicles.
THe treatment for both would be Incision and drainage followed by a course of anti-biotics.
ref:http://www.emedicinehealth.com/boils/page7_em.htm
HS is amazingly common, but the suffers are embarrassed.  This post is old but just wanted to add my voice to it.  I hope your sister is feeling better about it now.
I have HS. There is no cure, but some seem for their blemishes to go away or stay dormant with what they eat. About 2-3 months ago I became vegetarian. My HS has been silent. I haven't had any flare ups and it is wonderful. I am currently using vitamin E oil to help with scars.