Itching - no rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching - no rash

I am 60 yrs old, 5'10", 170 lbs.  Two weeks ago various parts of my body started itching at various times of the day.  No rash or bumps or redness just serious itching.  Mostly hands and feet but all areas at random times.  Lasts for about 15 minutes to half hour.  Only time that it is repetitious is after a shower.  I walk 4 miles/day and work out some.  It has been hot and muggy here.  I am a cancer survivor and have had chemo and radiation.  This is driving me crazy and any ideas would be appreciated.  Thank-you, Bruce

Since the itching is not accompanied by any rash and the itching is prominent after a shower, it can be due to an allergic reaction. You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.
If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.