Itching & swelling around anus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching & swelling around anus

Recently I observed that it had started itching alot around anus & also swelling was observed. The swelling more looks like small gland but does not pain when pressed. There are three glands about the size of peas. Is it something very serious & how can it be cured. I don't even know whether to approach a dermatologist or a lower abdomen speacialist. Please advice
Avatar dr f tn

Have you been having difficulty with your bowel movement? Hemorrhoids are swelling and inflammation of the veins in the rectum and anus.  Increased straining during bowel movements, hypertension, obesity, pregnancy and excessive intake of alcohol and caffeine can cause hemorrhoids. External hemorrhoids can be felt as bulges at the anus. The presence of stool and constant moisture can lead to anal itchiness and discomfort. Sometimes there is also bleeding and pain when stool passes. Hemorrhoids usually are not dangerous and in most cases, hemorrhoidal symptoms will go away within a few days. However, it  is advised to have it evaluated by your doctor or surgeon and to rule out other anorectal problems, such as fissures, fistulae, or abscesses. Increased fluid and fiber intake in the diet may help. You can read more about this through this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhoid
Take care and keep us posted.