Dermatology Community
Itching... Bites or Allergies? Please Help!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Itching... Bites or Allergies? Please Help!

Hello Doctor,

I started having what I suspected to be bug bites on my body about a month and a half ago.  I am the only one in my household with the "bites" however.  The itching is intense causing bleeding and bruising and generally is at night or mornings.  I notice it is better when out of town or even in the guest bedroom and others have slept in the same bed or sat on the same couches and had no problems where I have.  I've been told by a nurse it's not scabies and looks like bedbugs.  I had an exterminator come out and spray who said bedbugs are a commonly but mistakenly blamed.  I have not seen signs of bedbugs and others who have slept in the bed have not been bitten.  Is this an allergy?  Please help!  Antihistamines do not seem to work and the lack of sleep is taking a toll!

Thank you
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis and without investigations we cannot completely rule out scabies. From the symptoms scabies is an important possibility. Scabeis is an infestation of the skin with the Sarcoptes scabiei mite. It is characterized by intense itching, usually at night and by small insect-type bites lesions on the skin. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank