Itching all over my body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching all over my body

Hi Friends/Community/Experts,

1. I am 25 years single male and I never had any skin problem until last month...It just started itching all over my body and I smoothly itch and itch and can't stop myself from itching.....I started to take Zyrtec for few days according to doctor's guidance.....It does not itch that night and until next day.....When I stopped medicine after 3 weeks, it started all again...uuuhhhh.....I went to doctor again...this time i had my blood test and it came back all normal....so confused whats going on.......once I stop medicine after taking course......it starts again.

2. I have been suffering from itching from 2 months, it is itching suddenly on any part of body in below steps.

3. I started to monitor my skin.......I found several times that.....this is happening now......
    3.1 skin is normal initially...
    3.2 suddenly on any part of my body, I see redness.......shape varies all the
          time.....long...short....redness......then after sometimes.....I feel itching on that redness.....It keeps
          happening on my hand...sometimes on neck....sometimes on leg....u never know when it will be
          next...sometimes i do on my scalp...(hair) too....
    3.3 I itch smoothly.....because it is so sweet and I can't stop myself....
    3.4 After an hour......the redness automatically disappears........and skin looks/feels like absolutely normal.
    3.5 If in case....I scratched hard then long lines of redness appears on that part....
    3.6 Its all normal after an hour or couple.

4. I never changed my lifestyle...nothing new...no roaches.....as usual.....I stopped using soap because of my
    doctor's advice.

5. Except the digestion trouble sometimes......I don't think so anything is going worse with me.

Please guide me or help me.....

Thanks,
Mr. Patel
It looks like urticaria skin or hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

You can find easily an over the counter over-the counter antihistamines (e.g., loratadine, desloratadine, cetirizine, fexofenadine) which can be used to help with symptoms. You may also use over the counter smoothening, antipruritic agents to get relief. Also use mild soaps and calamine lotion which helps in soothing the skin.

If the symptoms persist then you may need topical steroids.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I'm very sorry to hear about your itchy skin. I can complete relate! About 14 years ago I had severly itchy skin for about 2 years. It would normally start itching when my air hit my skin. So for instance, when i would get home from work and be in the process of changing my legs would go crazy. When my back or butt cheeks itch I get welts when I scratch. Anyway, zyrtec did the trick then. I took it every day. I ran out one day and realized that itchiness was gone!

Now it has come back. I've been itchy for about 2 years now unless I take zyrtec at least every other day. I've been to an allergist - I'm allergic to lots of stuff so that could be it but it doesn't matter where I'm at or what I'm near so I'm not so convinced. For me....my guess is that it's some sort of autoimmune disorder or it's neurological. I would suggest a trip to rheumatologist, and allergist and a psychiatrist! Forget the psychiatrist for now. If the itching continues.... though you'll need one!
Sorry to hear that you were also passing from the same stage......

In my case, I am not allergic to anything until now......this seems like something else.....

Waiting or your any professional reply guys....

Hi Bhupinder,

I appreciate your answer to my question.
I am taking zyrtec since 2 month.....is that antihistamines type? Do the use of it will make me addictive?

What are the treatments for hives or urticaria skin? Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhaval Patel
Zyretc is a type of antihistaminic. You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine.
If the symptoms persist, then you can consult an immunologist. He may start with immunosuppressive drugs.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you very much Bhupinder.
Take Care...