Itching arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching arm

I have had this problem for quiet a few years.  My mom used to get it.  My nephew had it once.  Its an itching arm! The itch is severe. I had a skin biopsy about five years ago and i was told that it showed no allergies.  My mom believes its stress related.  I have tried creams, pills and the only thing that helps it is ice.  I don't have this 'condition' year round.  I try to associate it with my eating habits or stress, etc.  I cannot pinpoint the cause.  My arm is scared and i scratch until it bleeds.  It is so severe.  
What is it?
This itching can be due to brachioradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found. The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol, capsacain or local anesthetic creams, amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for replying to my question, It is such a relief to know I am not just crazy! Wish there was a cure, in the meantime i will continue using ice. My moms arm has started in again after several years no problem.