Itching back, no rash
My back has been itching for about 4 weeks now. The itching is limited to both sides of my lower back. It's not spreading, and there is no rash. It itches very intensely sometimes, and other times it is bearable. I have tried putting cortizone cream on the area that itches, but it doesn't seem to help...any ideas? I don't have insurance right now, otherwise I would just go to the doctor!
Without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be contact dermatitis, friction rub with clothes, hives, dermatitis (atopic, contact, allergic), heat rash or excessive sweating causing sweat dermatitis.

You may try calamine lotion on the rash. You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl (causes drowsiness) or Claritin to relieve itching. Also apply calamine lotion and mild steroid cream on the rash. If the rash persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.