Itching during pregnancy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching during pregnancy

I am 23 weeks pregnant and for the past one month I have been suffering from severe itching all over my body. A caterpillar bite made things worse and now the itching is intense on the soles and palms. Is it normal? I am hypothyroid on Eltroxin 50microgram/day.
Tags: Pregnancy
It is common to find some itchy rashes in pregnancy but they are specific for pregnancy like pruritic urticarial plaques of pregnancy( PUPP). If you have generalized itchy skin, it can be due to the thyroid condition also. PUPP is characterized by small red bumps and hives, and when severe, the bumps form large patches. This rash usually develops on the abdomen, and spreads to the thighs, buttocks, breasts and arms. Slight itching from PUPPP may cause mild discomfort. However, PUPPP does disappear after delivery.

Anti-itching topical medications, antihistamines and topical corticosteroids can be used to control the itching but they are to be taken after consulting a gynecologist. Even application of calamine lotion is helpful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.