Dermatology Expert Forum
Itching from sun

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itching from sun

I have read the other questions posted about itching from being in the sun, however mine is a little different.  I am from the Midwest and 2 times during the past 1 1/2 years I have gone to Florida.  While there, both times after a few days out in the sun (I used a sunscreen of 4 and was out in the sun for long periods of time) I wasn't really sunburnt and I didn't have any sort of rash but I developed the most unbearable itching almost all over my body.  It was so intense and there was nothing I could do to ease the pain.    I was unable to go out into the sun after that.  I have never had this happen before except when I went to a tanning bed, I only went about 5 times and twice developed this itching so I have not gone in over a 1 1/2 years.  During the last year I was able to be out in the sun in Chicago and did not develop any reaction.  I am going to Jamaica in 1 month and am terrified my vacation will be ruined.  What is causing this and what can I do to prevent it from happening again while still being able to enjoy the beach and the sun?
  • Sudden Sun Sensitivity (3 replies):
    I am 43 years old and have never had problems being in t...[more]
  • Sun rash (23 replies):
    I have had a problem for a number of years and have had ...[more]
  • sun rash (9 replies):
    Hi Dr. Is it possible to develop an allergic type of ra...[more]
  • Sun Poisoning (8 replies):
    I am a medium toned redhead. For the past5-6 years, whe...[more]
  • Sun Rash (1 replies):
    as past 5 years i have always developed a rash on my fac...[more]
Not sure, Katie.  You may be describing some sort of sun hives or allergy.  The best advice I can give you is to use a sunblock with SPF 30 (not 4), one with UVA plus UVB protection, and ask your docotr ofr a prescription for an antihistamine that won't put you to sleep, like Claritin or Allegra.  Take this (or Benadryl if you can't reach your doctor) a couple of days before your vacation, and every day during.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Avatar n tn
I am so glad to hear that someone else has experienced this Katie!  If I go to the tanning bed, it will feel like my nerve endings are on fire even if there is no rash or redness.  The only thing I can do is lay on ice packs for two days until it is gone.  Everyone I have mentioned it to looks at me like I am crazy.  Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.
A related discussion, SKin ithing after sun tan.... was started.