Dermatology Expert Forum
Itching in the privates

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itching in the privates

For quite a while I have had this itch.  It started on the bikini line.  It looked like a patch of dry skin.  Over time it has spread to all over the genital area.  The itch is so bad that nothing helps.  I use anti-itch medicine, they only make the area itch worse.  The area will swell and tend to bleed due to itching.  There is no vaginal itching, just on the outside and on the bikini line.  At time it is so bad that I can't keep underwear on.  There have been little dry skin flakes in the pubic hair.  It hurts along the side of my legs if I do not keep it lubricated with some type of cream.  I have been using a product called Bag Balm, which they use on cow udders.  This product I use on my daughter as well, who has excema.  The skin also has a bad odor, it will be wet on the bikini line like there are water blisters being popped if I itch.  As you can see this is a very embarrassing question to have to ask.
Please let me know what this might be.  And what, if any over the counter medicines can be used.
Angie:

I'm not sure what you have.  It may be due to stress, or just a vicious circle of itching and scratching.  You should try the following:  1) Apply Sarna lotion (OTC) as needed for itch; 2) moisturize nightly with Nutraderm lotion; 3) take Benadryl 25 mg at bedtime.  If this doesn't stop the itch in 2 weeks, you should see a doctor.

Best.

Dr. R
Hello Angie,

We tought that we should let you know about this Product that you are using and the place to get the info is:
" http://adultpain.nursing.uiowa.edu/Topicals/BagBalt.htm " and you will be surprised of what they say about this Product.   We have been treating many people who has Psoriasis & Eczema which includes Dry Skin and we have had much succes.   The Natural Products that we used, are Totally for the Body & Home Care and there is no Chemical or Toxic Ingredients in them.   If you would care to read this Web Page on the subject, you will see that we do have a Healing Products.   here is the Web Page Address: " http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/medals.cmms/psoriasi.htm "

Good Luck & Best Regards

Joe & Ghislaine Lefebvre
Distributor of Totally Natural Body & Home Care Products
for a Company called: Druide Laboratories Inc.
from Montreal, Canada
I had the same thing, or so it sounds. It started as a little friction-induced rash on the inside of my thigh and right up next to my scrotum. It then became a moist area which turned a paper towel a brownish yellow color. It smelled pretty bad. The appearance was RAW, pink, skin. The border of the region was just peeling away.

Eventually I went to a doctor. He prescribed an antibiotic, thinking of course that I had a bacterial infection. He told me to continue putting athlete's foot liquid (tolnaftate 1%) on it, as I had done prior to seeing him. After a week, nothing had changed. He then noticed what he called "satellite lesions". These are apparently fungi induced. He then told me to pick up some OTC LAMISIL. This stuff is awesome! Took the rash right away. Only a few days and I was back to normal.
Wow, what you just described is the exact same as what I have.  It just came one day out of the blue.  I am so happy to know that there may be something out there that will help me.  The product that you mentioned, did you just pick that up at a drug store?  I have tried the itch creams, the GoldBond Powder, and none of these have worked at all.  There is nothing worse than itching yourself raw, and not having anything to take the itch away.  I will try what you said.  Please if you ever read this, let me know what place to get it from.  I need help fast.  Thank you so much for the advise!!
OTC (OVER THE COUNTER, I GUESS)LAMISIL - I DON'T HAVE THE SAME ITCH BUT MY IRRITATION LIKELY CAME FROM WASHING A STAIN OUT OF MY WHITE SHIRT WITH BLEACH.  IF HYDROCORTISONE 1% DOESN'T WORK I'LL SWITCH TO LAMISIL. SMALL CONCENTRATION OF RED BUMPS W/RASH ON GENITALS. 1% SEEMS TO BE WORKING. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
my husband has been fighting a "rash" around and sometimes on his genitals for years. the dr. diagnosed him with psoriasis but the prescription meds do not work. he scratches himself raw, sometimes in his sleep! it sometimes spreads to other body parts but not as severely as around his genitals. he's tried soaking, wearing gloves to bed, everything. it's not contagious but i don't like to see him suffer. i am a nurse & i have tried everything in my power & medical knowledge. the only thing that seems to sort of work is a medication called psorcon; it's a prescription ointment you rub directly onto the affected area. i would recommend asking your dr. if nothing else works!!!
That sure sounds a lot like "Jock Itch" that I had in high school. It was wet a lot and smelled very bad and the secretions would soak into my underwear with a yellowish color. I used jock itch spray on it daily for a week or two and it disappeared. Burned like heck from the spray though. Good luck.
Go to the nearest Feedstore and get some "Bag Balm".  Should do the trick.  $ 6.-- for a ten year supply! It is greasy tthough.
I tried the Lamisil that another person mentioned.  IT REALLY WORKS.  My problem is gone.  I can't thank him enough for spreading the word.  I know of Bag Balm, used it and it did NOTHING!!  But, it does work well for excema problems.  And you can buy it at Wal-Mart.