Itching on groin and scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching on groin and scrotum

Around two months ago, I noted some little scattered scars on my thighs that looked like some peoples had crusted.  Upon examination, i noted they they were concentrated on the left side.  I ignored the but two weeks later, they started itching and spreading outward.  I went to a GP and they ordered a blood count and told met that my body is not reacting to any infection.  The gave me some anti-bacterial cream (Fucicort) and said that it looks like bacteria infection and the same should sort me.  Things didn't improve and two weeks later the itching became too much spreading to the scrotum with the skin now turning dark, then peeling off like sunburns but leaving a reddish rash.  I consulted a dermatologist who told me that it is yeast infection called Candida and prescribed a cream called Travocort and some tablets to be taken for fourteen days (one in a day).  I will confess that the cream seemed to sooth the place and the pain eased.  When I stopped applying (as directed) after two weeks, the itching resumed.  I went to a hospital now and the casualty doctor ordered a number of tests including blood sugar, STIs, urinalysis, blood count and urethral swap but everything came negative.   He prescribed more of the same tablets for 14 days and some shampoo to be used twice weekly.  Seven days after this, the itching still goes on and the tongue seems to be having some itching with what appears to be an invisible pimple but the tongue itself seem to have a white layer.  But general, I feel strong and healthy.  The Penis has been spared from all this malaise save for occasional itch in the urethra.  Not discharge or lesions.  My partner has not raised any concerns for symptoms and now am so confused.

What could be my problem?
What you seem to be having is fungal infection of the groin and the tongue. When fungal infection of the tongue occurs, it is called oral thrush. Thrush appears as white patches in the mouth. Usually they can be seen on the tongue, inside the cheeks, under the tongue, and in the back of the throat. I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done of these white coatings.

Nystatin (Mycostatin) liquid is used by swishing a bit in your mouth several times a day and then swallowing the medicine. Throat lozenges can also be used. If the symptoms are severe then oral antifungals may be needed. For fungal groin infection, you need topical antifungals for groin infection as well.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers