Itching that will not stop

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching that will not stop

I have had a problem with itching on my left shoulder and upper arm for almost a year. It is an intense itch that nothing relieves not scratching, not lotion, not otc medicines or prescriptions. I have been to the dermatologists but what he gave me does not help. The itch wakes me up from a deep sleep, keeps me from sleeping, and disrupts my whole life. I have little bumps that come up and that is what seems to itch the most but it itches everywhere and I scratch to the point that I have sores. I wake up with blood spot on my pillow and sheets from scratching at night. When I scratch my whole shoulder catches this burning itch that feels like it come from way down deep in my shoulder and the more I scratch the worse it gets. Has anyone ever had this or knows what it is or how to make the itching stop? Thanks for any help I can get.
  • itchy arm (1 replies):
    my right arm is driving me mad it gets inflamed burns an...[more]
  • Itching under the skin (3 replies):
    For the past year I have been experiencing the worst itc...[more]
  • help (2 replies):
    My brother, sister and I suffer from the dreaded arm itc...[more]
  • Itching (1 replies):
    I have a constant deep inside the inside of my arm. Ther...[more]
  • itchy arms (1 replies):
    For the second time now i have been experiancing a horri...[more]

Your symptoms are suggestive of brachioradial pruritis.It is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.

The cause is not known, although there are a few lines of thought on what causes it.The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished.Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol,capsacain or local anesthetic creams,amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and
electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

Pls discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

I have had that kind of itch in my right arm for 21 years.  Then it slowly started moving from my hand, up my arm and now into the other arm and my neck.  I saw a neurologist.  I have some nerve damage in my shoulder and also a herniated disc in my neck.  They told me it can show up as pain or itch.  Nothing helps it except for ice packs.  I feel I will go crazy someday.  All the meds I've tried don't work.
I have had this condition for many years on and off I can not isolate a time of year because it can be any time. Mine stopped for a couple of years after going to a dermatologist who said it was neuro dermatitis and he prescribed sinequin this was instant relief.But after getting sunburned two months ago it has returned, with severity.The medication has not helped this time. My mother suffered with this as well and the sinequin helped her.After reading many stories the same as mine I have decided to go to a chiropractor to see if my spine needs aligning this seems to be some peoples answer to the problem and at this stage I am willing to give anything ago. I also get relief from ice packs. Somebody out there must have the answer we all crave