Itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itching

I have a constant itching in a  specific spot.  There is no rash or redness. This is one spot on the bottom of one foot. It is one specific spot. I have had this problem in other areas. It will be a localized spot and then after time it will go away.   It is very  bothersome because it will sometimes wakes me up at night to have it scratched. This has been going on for several months.
Hi Bill,

I JUST posted a similar comment. My spot is in the center of my back. I'm not sure if its stress related or not. I usually feel it during the more stressful times of my life. It started in 2007. I too have no visible signs of rash or bumps. Just a constant itch. I also shared in my comment that I have a friend that passed away in 2007 from a skin cancer called Mycosis Fungoides. Her symptoms started out about 7 years earlier as a consistent itch on her hands. She thought she had contracted a fungus of some sort from the gym. As the years progressed, and continually being told it was Eczema, her body became overwhelmed with more itching, dry skin and finally tumors. She was eventually diagnosed with cancer. That is my biggest fear. Cancer. Hopefully you and I are suffering from bad nerves and can treat it with a simple day at the spa or a pill. Good luck to you.
One of the possibilities in your case is contact dermatitis to the material of the socks. When a foot is hot and sweaty, the sock sticks to the foot. The sock and foot then rub against each other and it may cause itching. Wear shoes that fit properly and keep feet as dry as possible. Change socks regularly and use foot powder to help keep your feet dry.

If the symptoms persist then other possibilities like fungal infections, atopic dermatitis(eczema),contact dermatitis, neurodermatitis(lichen simplex), pompholyx and internal diseases like diabetes,kidney or liver diseases have to be ruled out.

Please get your blood sugar levels evaluated. Also consult a dermatologist and discuss the above possibilities with him. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.