Itchless rash on arms and hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchless rash on arms and hands

I just recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy almost 2weeks ago.. I noticed earlier today that my hands and the back of my arms feel so dry and there is a rash forming in those places.. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it? I don't know if it's from the cold weather, I'm from FL and recently moved to NC, or if maybe it is something caused by the medications I am taking (high dosage of Motrin, stool softener, prenatal vitamins). Please help! This has never happened to me
  • facerashwithdryness (1 replies):
    whatcaniusetomakeitgoawayfaster This discussion is rel...[more]
  • Dry Skin (1 replies):
    Everytime I wash my face, I get dry, flaky skin. I have ...[more]
  • dry skin (1 replies):
    i have dry skin and i am using dove soap only but my ski...[more]
  • dry skin (2 replies):
    hello i have some dry skin on my penis and on my testic...[more]
  • dry skin (1 replies):
    hello, i have suffered from dry skin in the past but rec...[more]
From your symptoms it looks like dry skin or xerosis. Too much soapy water, exposure to harsh chemicals  and cold weather, the normal aging process and certain types of skin diseases are some of the causes of decreased amounts of protective skin oils which in turn causes dry skin.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

If still the symptoms persist then possibility of eczema has to be ruled out. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.