Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy, bumpy rash???

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itchy, bumpy rash???

I have had what I consider a rash for about 1 1/2 weeks.  These small red (some are translucent) bumps seem like tiny mosquito bites or small chicken pox because they itch a lot and appear all over my body.  I have not started taking any new medications, eaten strange/new foods, or worn new clothes that I could have reacted to, or gone somewhere (woods, grass) where I could have picked up something from fleas or ants.  The bumps dry up after a few days, but more are popping up.  
Where could this be coming from???  There are no dermatologists that are available for weeks, so what can I do to reduce this problem or even better--cure it!
Thanks!!!
I'm afraid I'm not sure.  Perhaps you have a virus in your system, manifesting as generalized bumps.  If so, it will resolve on its own.  It surely does not sound like insect bites or an allergic reaction.  My advice is to keep your skin moist with any lotion you like, set up an appointment with a skin doctor, and prepare to cancel it if the rash goes away before you get there.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
My daughter and I both have similar symptoms.  Itchy red, chicken pox like bumps all over our bodies.  They itch and eventually dry up and form a little crusty scab over the top.  We are not allergic to any thing, have not changed detergent, etc.  Our doctor first treated this w/ Eurax cream.  After two weeks, our symptoms continued to get worse.  Then the doctor said it was foliculitus, or infection of hair folicals spread by scratching originally caused by a mosquito bite.  He has us on ammoxicillian for treatment.

It has been four days and we are both still miserable and are seeing new bumps daily.

Any suggestions on what this is and how we should treat?

Thank you.
I also have a rash of sort.  I looks like mosquito bites and chicken pocks.  It is concentrated around my extreme lower back and upper buttock area and has spread around my hip and to my upper thigh area.  It itches like crazy.  Can't seem to get much relief.  I thought it was caused by me being out riding our 4-wheeler in the woods, may have gotten into some poison ivy or oak, but the dermatologist doesn't think so.  It looked like a big mosquito bite at first - but it has spread.  Did I mention that it itches like crazy? If you have any suggestions on what this could be...I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Sounds like chigger bites. I went hiking last month and had a very similar thing happen. Just a thought.
Just to let you know I am experiencing the same symptoms (itchy small bumpy rash areas on my chest, back and lower torso) and I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea. There is a ton of information on it on the web.  It basically has no cause (not caused by medicine, stress, food, etc) and last for about a month.  It disappears on its own eventually.  Hope this helps your problems!

If the problem you discribe in your daughter & yourself has not fully gone away I would suggest you start looking at zoonotic conditions (carried from animals to people).  Do you have dog, cat, poultry or rabbit in your environs? It could be a friend or relative's animal.  Mites are very often transferable.  Although animal mites cannot live on  human hosts forever they certainly can have a bite, leave some fecal matter & wander around before leaving.  Very annoyingly for the afflicted these critters are quite difficult to visually id as skin scrapings are most often
negative.  It's not so easy to find their location of the moment.  Also, mites in particular are not equal opportunity attackers.  Most people in contact with the affected animal will show no or fleeting symptoms while one person, in fact usually female child or adult will show symptoms. And, since the bites very often itch like mad she's told her scratching is the problem.
In any event let me know how your condition proceeded.
And if you are curious(itchy) take a look at veterinary sites for mites.  Some medical sites cover zoonotics and/or mites.

Ta, Bea
I was wondering if you could provide me some information. Just a few days ago, I was on a 2 week sick leave because I had lesions in my body which the doctor first diagnosed as chicken pox. I had the ususal symptoms, fever and spots all over my chest, my back and my head. I took the usual chicken pox medication and felt better. Then after 2 weeks, I get the blood test results saying I had not been infected by chicken pox and my vesicles were due to another "unknown virus". I would like to know if you know of any other virus which has similar symptoms as chicken pox and please do send me more information as my wife is getting terrified of the idea that I have an "unknown" virus.
My son has bumps kinda like tiny chicken pox on his inner thighs and a slight fever, he is ichy but otherwise fine and wants to play ect. ---- i have been told by his school nurse that its " fifth disease" ---- so i checked it out on line and it looks nothing like that ----- i havent the money to take him to the doctor espically when the doc will just tell me tylenol and benadryl!-------my son isnt  in pain or major  discomfort and it sounds very similar to the above comments --anyone have a diagnois from a doc yet? ----or  any idea what it is? ----i  do have a family history of allergies so  maybe its just that? -----i dont know does anyone? ---like i said hes  fine and the fever was there for a small bit of time and now no fever ?? -------help me if u can ty!! danie
I had a itchy rash for 6 months and was treated by a dermatolgist for it. He had no clue what it was. It was dermatomyositis. This is a muscle diease. Its rare and starts out with a rash, then muscle weakness. Its not cureable but treatable.
A related discussion, red bumby itchy rash was started.
A related discussion, Awsome Cream for Itchy Rasy was started.
A related discussion, itchy rash was started.
A related discussion, These looks like bug bites along with a rash was started.
A related discussion, Little itchy bumps on skin after beach was started.
A related discussion, bumpy itchy rash was started.
A related discussion, Rash that looks like bug bites or chicken pox was started.
Yea chiggers do sound like that. Don't squezz them. It will make them worse. Chiggers leave bumps like that when they leave there host and leave a Stylostome. The explaniation is too long so just search stylostome on google an a bunch of articles will come up. :) keep me posted on how you guys are doing. Good luck
A related discussion, mystery rash was started.
A related discussion, bug bite like rash was started.