Itchy, burning(sometimes)splotchy red rash on neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I developed a rash on the side of my neck that spread around the front. I stopped using my new facial wash being that in the past I have had allergic reactions to some, but in this case after a month it is still there. Today it has actually started to burn around the neck line and my throat is a little itchy today but I am not sure if it is food or what? I am thinking more of an allergic reaction to something and my Dr said to use cortizone cream for  5-7 days but it has yet to go away - any ideas?

This discussion is related to Itchy Rash on Backof Neck Below Hairline.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or insect bites.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination to rule out scabies or any other cause.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.