Itchy, dry patches
I have had itchy, dry patches all over my upper chest, neck, and upper back, with a few extending to my underarms, lower back, and lower abdomen for over a month, almost a month and a half now. They were very red when they started, a few of them tan-ish, and not near as itchy as they are now. Now they are smaller patches, pinkish, and very itchy. They change a little very day. I have tried antihistamines and cortisone ointment, but that didn't help at all, so it isn't an allergy. The only thing i can do to soothe them is use calamine lotion and cool compresses. Heat irritates them. I have never been allergic to anything -yet- in my life. I gave a blood sample a few weeks ago for blood allergy testing, I am currently waiting for the results. I am a teenager, have fair skin and red hair. I have not changed detergents, shampoos, soaps, etc, before or sice it began. I had sensitive skin when I was younger, but it's been normal since i got older. My doctor is scheduling a visit with a dermatologist, but i'm looking for a few other opinions. Any help?
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.
I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist. Nummular dermatitis and ringworm have to be ruled out.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Thanks for the opinion, I'll get it checked out.