Itchy, flakey, dry,red, scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy, flakey, dry,red, scalp

I have Red patches, itchy, scaly, on my scalp it itches and it gets kinda of red and the white dry skin is behind my ears and now in my ears I have had it since 83 thats when I notice it. It seems to stay right at my hair line. I have it know where else. But my head and behind my ears and in my ears, I have to use hair spray because my hair will not hold a hair do without and that seems to make it worst. I try to use one that doesn't have a lot of alcohol. But it is hard to find. What do you think I should use for treatment you had a person ask a ? about  the same thing and you suggested Nizoral shampoo 1% twice a week, do you think I should try this??  Thank You for help   Debbie    

This discussion is related to Scaly, Flakey , Itchy at hair line.
  • itchy scalp (1 replies):
    My scalp itches, my hair is falling out and it's very dr...[more]
  • Sour Scalp (1 replies):
    I sweat (nerves) and my scalp sours very easily. What c...[more]
  • scalp problems (1 replies):
    i have had a problem with my scalp for about a year now ...[more]
  • dry scalp (1 replies):
    my son is 28 months he has eczema and I discover he has ...[more]
  • Itchy scalp (1 replies):
    How do you treat a severely itchy scalp?

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination if your symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.