Itchy, flaky, and dry scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy, flaky, and dry scrotum

Dear doc,

I am 32years old with a very dry, itchy scrotum causing a lot of discomfort and urge to itch many times during the day. I bathe twice daily and sometimes also apply off-the-shelf moisturizers to ensure that the area does not dry out. I do not use harsh soaps too.  I have also tried to leave the area dry after bathing as opposed to moisturizing it but makes no difference.

At times i tend to scratch a lot to reduce the itchiness leading to white powdery flakes falling off and the area also turns reddish and tender.

Please tell me what to do.

thank you,
Shyam

Your symptoms are suggestive of tinea cruris of the groin. It is caused by fungal infection of the groin. Wash the area and then dry thoroughly by pat drying, not rubbing. It is important that the skin is not damp because the damp skin is an ideal site for fungi to multiply. Also wear cotton underwears and change them twice a day.

Also apply topical antifungals like Lamisil or Monistat once the diagnosis is confirmed.  Severe cases may need oral antifungals for which I suggest you to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I think the Dr. is jumping to a more serious diagnoses than the symptoms indicate. The most common diagnoses is eczema, and this sounds like what you have. Doctors will tell you not to bathe twice a day, but that seems to help me when the itching gets bad in the evening. Cremes seem to dry out after several hours, and by the evening contribute to the flakiness. A shower washes it off, then you can apply some fresh creme or ointment that will help until your morning shower.

I myself have these symptoms, as do several other posters on this site: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Dry--Very-Itchy-Scrotum/show/244816

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/dry-skin-down-there/show/243374

I believe eczema is what I have, although nothing topical seems to help much, and many times the different ointments/cremes I've used make the itching worse, sometimes to the point that I wash it off in the shower. I did find that Triamcinolon (Rx only) helps me more than hydrocortisone.
I've also had eczema on my body most of my life, but just in the past 2 years or so has it become a persistent problem on my genitals. It's also become a persistent problem on my hands since about 3 years ago (I'm 44 now).