DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Itchy, peeling, skin
by angel302, Jun 12, 2009

I have been dealing with something on my face (mainly surrounding my mouth) for about a month now. The area is somewhat discolored, and it constantly gets dry and peels. There are no bumps at all, just a little discoloration, the area is a shade lighter than my normal skin tone but some affected areas blend easily with my skin. It gets so tight that it feels like its a mask. Once I think that it may be healing, the peeling starts over again. I also noticed that once the skin peels, it is also shiny and sometimes red as if it were irritated. Recently, the same problem has been spreading to other parts of my face, mainly on and around my nose, and my forehead and now it seems as if it is spreading to my neck too. Its also getting more and more itchy. I am making a appointment to the dermatologist soon because at first I thought this was just dry skin but now I am not so sure. Has anyone else experienced this?
Member Comments (4)
by angel302, Jun 12, 2009
Everyone,

I would also like to add that this also effects my lips. Thanks to anyone who replies.
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Jun 13, 2009
From the symptoms,it sounds like eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).Also use good quality moisturizers on the area.
If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

by angel302, Jun 13, 2009
Hello! Thank you for replying, it is very appreciated. I have thought it was a fungus so I have been putting some anti fungal cream on it and sometimes it seems to work but it not working that fast. Could I possibly aggervate the skin more when I do this? Its funny that you say this because do notice that when I take my OTC allergy meds at night, I feel a little relief when I get up in the morning.
I will try this method and let everyone know how it goes. I think I may have been doing too much to my skin, fearing that it was a fungus. Thanks again!  :)
by isabella814, Aug 21, 2012
i have that same problem but my spot is under my lip maybe 1 or 1/2cm in diameter and its dark it gets very dry and i put eucerin on it but it barley helps i wont to get rid of it fast because i start school in a week and im only 15 so i need to get rid of it fast its been under my lip for 3 months now and i really need it gone so please help