Itchy, raised, slightly purple underarm rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

About a month ago, I noticed what seemed to be a bruise on my right underarm.  I remember scratching the area vigorously a day or so before but I forgot why.  It turned red and the skin was raised.  A week later, the same spot, while there were no changes in size or shape, was still itchy and slightly raised, but has now turned a mute shade of purple.  I thought it might be my deodorant but I have been using the same one for months and I've had no problems.  Also it's only on one side -- my right underarm.  It's extremely itchy and I have to fight every desire to scratch because it just seems to make it worse.  The patch is about the size of a golfball, and is raised to a uniform level throughout; to about the height of how a keloid would be.  I've never seen anything like this before.  I feel as if I've searched all dermatitis-related topics out there but mine does not seem to fit any descriptions I've come across.  Please help.  
Hi! After reading some of the posts here on the dermatological site,I came upon yours. I've been searching sites to find a rash similar to mine.Yours describes it pretty close. My rash spreads all over my body (like a self contagious) rash. Even the bloodied areas itch immensely! Cortisones, steroids, creams, you name it don't work for this girl! A,d to top it off, they scar! I just recently found out about a bloodtest ANA(antibacterial antibodies) which attacks the immune system like mine. ( I lost my spleen due to a blood disorder). The tests didn't come back yet, but I'm hoping that they will push me in one direction or another. I HAVE FOUND OUT, that the site FREEDERM.COM that I guarantee will help your discomfort until you get the answers you're looking for.I will keep in touch! Good luck!   Cindi

Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

This could be an allergic reaction to some unknown substance or dermatitis or eczema or sweat or friction.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.