DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Itchy, red, irritated vagina
by rachel825, Dec 13, 2010
I have been having serious vaginal irritation for the past few days. My vagina, at first, was very sore and itchy, but when I itched it, tender red cuts formed (almost like a paper cut). Now it is very uncomfortable to just sit normally and the entire area is bright red and extremely sore. I am not sexually active, nor have I been in the past. My discharge is relatively normal (maybe just a larger quantity of it). When I pee, it sometimes burns.
Help! What is wrong with me?
Member Comments (2)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Dec 17, 2010
Red itchy vagina can be due to a number of causes. First of all it can be due to allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to your undergarments, sanitary napkins or tampons, soaps etc.There is no change in the colour or smell of discharge in this case.

Secondly, It can be due to STD’s like Chlamydia or thrush(red,sore,itchy vagina along with pain during sex and slight increase in the vaginal discharge may be present), Gonorrhea(Itchy, red, or swollen vagina and Pain during intercourse, urinating or abdominal pain may be present),Trichomoniasis(red, very itchy vagina along with greenish, frothy discharge is present) or Lichen sclerosis which is a non-infectious inflammatory skin disorder which affects the vulval and perianal skin(Symptoms include itchy, sore and inflamed vulval skin which cracks, causing additional pain and stinging and treated with a strong steroid cream).All of them except lichen planus can be transmitted after oral or vaginal unprotected sex.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

by justwondering63, May 04, 2012
Wondering how long after unprotected sex would herpes or gonorrhea present itself. My whole girl area is swollen red and itchy, no sores or any bumps ....jusst been itching like crazy! Help!