Itchy, red bumps on legs/ankles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy, red bumps on legs/ankles

About a week and a half ago, I noticed the bottom half of my calves were covered in small red spots(they were barely bumped up, if at all). Then, last Sunday I woke up with incredibly itchy bumps(so bad that it's actually woken me up at night) on both of my ankles, and at this time the other spots were gone. Now, I still have the itchy bumps(which don't seem to have gotten any better) and the small red spots on my legs have returned.

I've pretty much ruled out allergies, since I haven't been in contact with anything different than normal. Same with bug bites, especially since they don't appear to look like a bite at all. I'm completely puzzled...any help?

Pics: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/xostarshinexo/legsores.jpg
You need to see a dermatologist, or your regular doctor. Your spots look a lot like vasculitis, which can be from an allergic reaction to something or a medicine (especially if you've taken a new medicine recently, or something different than normal - even ibuprofen, etc.), or sometimes caused by something more serious - or, like me, a case that affects the skin only for no reason. It does definitely need to be looked at and monitored by a physician, if only to identify the cause if there is one. Please be sure to have it looked at right away if you haven't already.
ok i have been reading these all night and no one can help me, i haven't been swimming, or had new medicine, and my allergies aren't acting up, but i have these little mosquito like bumps that started on my feet, then spread on my legs, thighs, arms, back, shoulder, and ankle they itch very badly, and some look almost like pimples but are not, the only thing i have done differnetly is been walking to work(about 7 blocks) in the sun, but im wearing a polo and jeans (uniform) they are growing worse and worse everyday and i'm strarting to freak out because no one knows what it is please help someone, i just need to know if its serious or if i can just take some benedryl to make the itch go away and maybe the bumps will too...
I just went to the beach this past weekend and i have similar bumps on my calfs... every one in my party has the same... and the only thing we can figure is some type of sand mite or something... the bumps have been itching for days now and it all started we two of my friends were digging and sturring up the dirt... ***@****
i have the same problem. I woke up in the middle of the night with these small, red, ITHCY bumps along the top and sides of my feet, around my ankles, and going up my legs/calves sporadically. Rescently went to a high school football game with flip flops on. My whole family went, but I;m the only one affected by this. Chiggers maybe? No. I don't think so. They are not fluid filled. But the itching is driving me crazy!!!! Please help.

Itching in Arkansas
I have this too; off an on for years.  There is nothing visible, it itches like crazy usually at night, then it looks like bites.  All around my ankles and a few up my calves.  They itch like crazy then scab over. Any answers?
i have the same thing and i have nooo clue what it is. Mine act up at night also like you said and thats usually when its worst. Maybe its dry skin??? I have no clue
I have atopic eczema and I have had it all my life.  I found that when I do go out into the sun for a long period of time, at night I am itching like crazy.  It happens to be heat rash around the sensitive areas, like my stomach, around my bikini line and around my arm pits.  I found to take a shower after the beach or being in the sun and after the shower I lather my body with baby oil to trap the moisture and then I put cortizone on the really itchy areas.  IT is very annoying and uncomfortable, but it usually goes away in a day or two.  My dermatoligist said I am pretty much allergic to everything.
i have had these itchy red spots on my feet,ankles and legs,they are driving me crazy...... i started a job as a carer about 3 months ago and first doctor said scabies they didnt clear up with treatment,then 2nd doc said athletes feet thet didnt clear up then 3rd doc said flee bites....it still havent cleared up i have tried all sorts of cream but nothing working ...i goto go to 4th doc next week but i dont think they will know what it is...im going nuts scratching especially in the night,anyone know what i have got???   B....
I too have had really itchy pimples around my ankles.  It started several months ago with one and know have two or three around each ankle.  They are itchy for a week or two then subside leaving the skin darkened where the pimple was.  I think that they may be caused be resulting from a bacterial or fungal infection.
I too have the same and my skin has gone exceedingly dry also.  I have just moved to London ( v cold) so my skin has  gone quite a bit drier.  Once I moisturise (use Shea Butter formula) the itching goes and they seem to subside.  I think it’s a reaction to temp which can affect people with sensitive skin.  Just moisturise and exfoliate twice a week to get rid of excess skin and it will help heaps.
Have had these very itchy bumps on the upper surface of the foot, ankle and lower calf.   Usually only in the winter months, but the most unusual symptom (along with some of the other posts) is that the itching occurs at night and has woken me on occasions.   Sometimes the scratching will severe and cause surface abrasions.  

Also as biged44 describes, when the bumps stop itching the bumps fade to dark spots.   Whereas I don't know for certain what the cause is I HAVE FOUND A CURE.   After washing with soap or after  a bath rub Nappy cream containing zinc oxide all over the area.   You'll find you get some relief on the first night.  Wash and reapply every day for a week and you should be OK.   Then if it recurs do the application of zinc oxide cream straight away and the bout of inching will be minimised.   Post back on this thread if it works please.    

That would make you think it is a fungal infection, but the way it happens at night sounds a little like Demodex mites.
Errr.. weird, because I only have red bumps on my right ankle and slightly above it, and near my hip [right side].
I noticed I got them when I was walking around in the street for a couple hours, then coming home and noticing them when I took my socks off. [I was wearing shoes that day too.]
I only noticed I had some on my hip a few hours later. I haven't gone to the doctor yet since it was only recent, so should I or will it just fade away overtime?
Forgot to meantion, after I scratch them for a bit, they tend to swell very quickly then go swell down quickly as well. (Woke up scratching, whoops.) It went down in minutes.
I have these bumps right now...I have had them before and my wife does not....This is all I have gathered: She works in the A/C and I was working in sun yesterday and it was 100 degrees. I didn't work long so I didn't think I was too dirty and ended up falling asleep before I could get a shower. She took a shower....Anyways I noticed my feet smelled pretty bad from that day and when I woke up most of these bumps were around my ankle, all of which had pimples on them and itched badly. My take is that this has to do with being dirty, sweaty, stinky and that is what is doing it. Now with that it could be (2) more things. There could be bugs that are hopping on during the day that could be microscopic and you don't see or feel them or it could be a reaction to the heat. In any case I suggest taking a shower at night before going to bed and wash around your ankles and feet especially!
There are posts about this all over the net.  I've been suffering from it for the last 6 weeks.  ankles and intenst itch everywhere during the night.  It's not scabies because my dogs don't have it.  It's not bed bugs because they're visible to the naked eye.  I also have it in the webs between my fingers.  It has been passing between my brothers and my father and myself with no apparent lengthy connection.  Just quick visits. It also seems to come from the couch for all four of us.   We are all treating it differently.  Tea tree oil, hydrocortizone cream and lindane lotion all seem to have varying positive effects with nothing substantial from any of them.
in may i got a few itchy red bumps on my right calf, they started spreading and when they healed the pigment in my skin was gone. in september they were still there so i went to a dermatologist and the piopsy revealed that i had a "fixed drug erruption". i had become allergic to something i had been taking. so i quit taking OTC pain reliever. after a few weeks it was still there, so i realized my multi-vitamins were doing it too. that didnt make sense until i talked to someone at pharmaca, he said i'm allergic to the fillers they put in generic pills, they add something so they can produce massive quantities. since i quit taking everything i havn't had any problems. hopefully this helps someone out.
Are any of you Diabetic?
I've had these same itchy bumps on my ankles off and on for the last 6 months or so, some times they itch and sometimes they don't.  I work in a shop 9hrs a day with no climate controls, and I wear leather work boots with tall socks.  I think it has something to do with dampness being held by the sock around your foot or ankle, however that dosent cover the people who were in sandals. What I have noticed like tonite, I was in my work socks/boots from this morning till 10PM working, when I took the socks off they started itching almost instantly.  This could be why it seems like it happens at night.  Most nights I'm out of them at 5PM and have showered.  The other thing is if they start itching don't scratch them, the will only itch more, raise up, and hurt.
It's real simple you have wats called chigers they get in the sand and at times in sertain bushes you can put nail polish on them and they suficate but if they are every where then go yo your doc and tell him you have chigers.
Yes, I think you're right about the vitamins/herbal supplement idea causing red, itchy bumps.  After I read about your experience, it hit home with me because I take a lot of vitamins and herbal supplements everyday.  As an experiment I haven't taken anything for 3 days and all my itchy bumps have disappeared.  (thank goodness!)  Now I will try gradually re-introducing these things one at a time in hopes of pin-pointing exactly the "bad ones."  Thanks!
Besides the idea that itchy rashes can be caused by vitamins and/or herbal supplements, here's another possible cause - when I changed detergents, my husband's under arms and lower arms started itching and showed a red rash - when I went back to the old detergent, his rash went away.
it's not chiggers. chiggers do not get under your skin as they are too big. they eat on your skin and the saliva that is left behind irritates your skin and causes pimple like bumps.  there is no cure except time. your body has to get rid of it on it's own. if you itch it spreads it causing more bumps. you can use an anti itch cream to help but finger nail polish does nothing except remind you to not itch. you can get rid of chiggers by taking a warm soapy bath and cleaning anything you have been in contact with,  like clothes or blankets,  as there could still be some chiggers on it.
Im having them right now.they are big and they appear on both of my feet and undernieth my right knee. My boyfriend is having them  *** well,but only on one foot on the back of it. I cant help but  to scratch them ( unfortunatelly;(( ) and afterwards they become kinda swollen and little holes become to appear in them.They ar enot single bites. Its 3 to 4 very close to each other. Have no idea where we could get them from. we are not allergic to anyhing,havent been taking any herbal etc. stuff... Im so annoyed with the look of them bumps and at the same time worried that i got bitten by sth more dangerous...
I have these red itchy bumps on my legs for almost a year now. It started when I migrated here to Canada. They come and go, come and go all of a sudden, with or without me putting topical cream for temporary itch relief. Once a bump disappears, another one appears. During winter, the bumps are only in my legs. Now that it's summer, there are bumps all of a sudden in my shoulders and even in my armpits. They itch really crazy during the night. When I scratch, it makes the bump swell easily and even spread out and become a bigger bump --it's itchier!!!! It's not a bite, it's not bleeding. During summer, I seldom go out so it's not caused by heat from outside. Our house is pretty air conditioned. When they do heal, they leave dark scars. The bigger the bump is, the bigger the scar is too. That's also annoying. I've used 3 creams so far but they're not effective at all in treating the itch most importantly. Please help.
My boyfriend and I went to Rehoboth Beach, DE last weekend and he has an itchy rash on his waist, ankles and thighs. I have red bumps on my ankles and knees. Some of my bumps are raised and seem to be filled with liquid. He went to the doctor but could not get a diagonosis because doctor sen't sure what it was and prescribed a cortizone cream and antihistimine. Mine seem to be going away. We are thinking his could be scabies and are afraid to sleep together as it could be contagious. The hotel was not too clean where we stayed and one person who stayed there said they had bed bugs in their room.
Hi there, I have been getting itchy red bumps on my knees for 5 months now. I saw a pharmacist and he said it looked like eczema. He gave me dom hydrocortisone cream and it disappeared but reappered after a month. This has been an ongoing problem! I now also have dome purplish red spots on thighs which are more noticeable after shaving and baths.Please offer some advice as I am quite worried! !
for those of you who are itching only at night, there is a bed bug epidemic right now...   as for me, the bumps started at night and have continually gotten worse over the last week.  It started with  what seems to be a large spider bite on my inner thigh and now i have probably 15 or so smaller bumps that itch like crazy and swell bigger when scratched.  could this be a reaction to the spider bite? calamine lotion helps temperarily benedryl does not seem to help.  i actually have bruises all over my legs from trying to scatch through my jeans!
Have any one ever considered bed bugs they have been infesting every thing the past few years ...only need to feed once a year min and usualy bite in clusters mostly 3s (breakfast ,lunch ,diner )there nocturnal so mostly bite at night.
If the baby kittens have fleas wash them with dish soap n water wrap them in a towel to blow dry them and take the fleas off manually with a flea/lice comb
Here's what I don't have:
Diabetes
Vascular Disease

I have not been outside, used a new detergent, gone anywhere new, no fleas, no bed bugs, eaten anything new, no chiggers (had that before and this is definitely not that), not chicken pox (had those really bad as a kid and know the difference)...

I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I've had it since I was 16 and never once have I had anything like this. The red bumps go from the tops and sides of my feet all the way up to the crease in the back of my knees and the tops of my knees. They are not fluid filled at all, and are bumps ranging from the size of a pen head, to a pea in various spots. They itch very much. I was woken up by scratching them. I went to bed 4 1/2 hours ago with no issues, and woke up with them there. I have new sheets (clean & washed in the same old detergent I've used for 3 years now, non-perfumed, none-dyed meant for sensitive skin), and I've had my mattress for 6 months, brand new, without any problems. My husband was asleep right besides me all night long without so much as a bump on him. It's all just me. We've checked the bed thoroughly. Nothing there though. I have no food allergies, but do have regular seasonal allergies. These bumps are NOT clustered except for the occasional two side by side. They are absolutely worse on my right leg than the left. That leg was right up against my husband all night long, and again - he's bump/itch free. He has been outside, and even worked in the garden two days ago in the early morning. He went to work yesterday, but works indoors, in a temperature controlled office - no chemicals. Around each little bump, in the light, you can see the skin is very white, like pressing on your skin and releasing to see the skin get white (the blood drawn away from the skin surface for a moment).

That is all the information I can provide. Usually I can figure out whatever is wrong with me, but this one has me stumped.
On the 6th of this month I started itching on my right arm..then it got really bad on my legs but nothing was visible. It was just really itchy and I even itched on my legs until it bruised as well. My doctor just told me to take allergy pills but it doesn't seem to be helping..tried calamine and it helped for an hour but then it doesn't seem to be doing much now. Two nights ago I noticed red bumps on my legs and calves (and I became super itchy around my ankles!)..some were the size of dimes and then I wake up in the morning and they are gone and then reappeared last night and disappeared this morning. I have no idea what's going on with me-this has never happened to me before. I don't want to go back to my doctor because she doesn't seem to know what's going on..wish someone could help!
My girlfriend has "itchy red spots" on her thighs, stomach, arms, upper back and occasionally on her hands.  All of the symptoms on here sound so familiar, but she doesn't have bed bugs, nor does she have scabies, as she has been treated numerous times for this.  

She does have Grave's disease, but nobody seems to think the two are related.  She is very clean, and relatively healthy.  As with most everyone on here, they seem to get worse at night.  It isn't the medication she is taking, as she had them before she was diagnosed with Graves.  It is either an allergic reaction to something, or a virus as  her white cells are up, but then that could be from fighting Graves.  

Calamine seems to control the itching, but that is all.  She did say that the spots just suddenly appear.  She will get up in the morning and notice nothing, then on her way to work she will look down and there will be two skin colored spots, that is how they start out, on her arm that weren't there when she woke up.

Let's play 'House'.  From now on, we rule out scabies and bedbugs, and bites, ok?  This has got to be something else.  Cancer, virus, disease?  I am not thinking the worst, but lets broaden our thinking just a bit, and work together.  Everybody get their white boards out and some new dry erase markers.  
Same itchy sometimes, not itchy others red spots. Sometimes bumps, sometimes not. Why doesn't anyone know what's going on. It's not bugs. I have had flea invasions before and this is totally different. Chiggers is the closest i've seen but it's not chiggers; the spots are different from chiggers. BUT... WE JUST TOOK IN AN ABANDONED CAT FROM OUTSIDE WHICH WAS INDEED INFESTED WITH FLEAS!!!!!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF FLEAS!!!!!! ******But, like I said; I've delt with flea infestations and bites before. MAYBE,,, we used flea shampoo and flea spray on the cat and I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was either the night before or the night after that I noticed the wake me up at 2-4am itching. I plan on going to a GOOD doctor soon if it does not go away. I will keep you posted.
You mentioned something other didn't.. something that I have noticed too. They begin as raised skin colored bumps THEN turn itchy later in the evening. I have had this two time (second time right now). Now here's my deal.. last year (about the exact same time of year) I was cleaning a nasty repo home. I would notice the feeling of a tiny "bite" or "sting" but nothing was there. I was worried about all the things mentioned above ie. bed bugs and chiggers. Last year they were much worse and they were mainly around my ankles but seemed to gravitate higher on my legs, a few on by stomach and sides and one or two on my arms. I tried the clear fingernail polish idea, it stung bad.. some then became filled with fluid pimple looking and then dried up.
This time, again I have been cleaing and painting an apartment - eviction- in bad shape. Nasty.. meaning fithy humans and they didn't take care of their pets. So again I felt tiny bite like or tiny stinging feeling... like something you just want to slap away but not a big deal. Well they started the evening I was in this apartment for the first time. Now I have approx 10 of these "bites" on my left ankle and tonight my right ankle started up and here we go again. UGH!! After reading some of the thoughts on previous posts I decided to try a new theory of a fungus/yeast/bacterial infection and bought some 'vagisil" to see if it is a more of a yeast bacteria. The itching stopped almost instantly. I wish a Dermatologist would chime in here. I have to say there is a common denominator for me... the season, cleaning and painting a trashed home for the next tenant and the stinging feeling... anybody else have any thoughts?
Ok.... so the roommate has had absolutely no signs of this. The roommate also slept in the same bed as the flea-bitten cat. I slept on the couch where the flea bitten cat first spent most of her time. I'm either thinking that I'm one of the 60% whom are allergic to flea bites and he is not, or the only other differences between the two of us is that I have been "fighting what I diagnosed as athlete's foot" for about 2-3 weeks prior to the mysterious red-itchy spot/bumps; AND I went out in the yard barefoot to wash the dog's bed-pan off with the garden hose shortly before the itching (can't remember the exact time frame but I want to guess that same day or before).

*Mysterious red spot/bumps which look very similar to chigger bites
*Itchy mostly at night (2-4am)
*Located on ankles and on front of legs (about 7 spots total)
*Itching Lasts app. 3 nights

Conclusion:
These are chigger bites.
Compliments to MEDICINENET.COM
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/hp.asp

What are chiggers?

Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).

Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival.

What do chiggers look like?

Chiggers are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch). They are red in color and may be best appreciated when clustered in groups on the skin. The juvenile forms have six legs, although the (harmless) adult mites have eight legs.

How do chiggers bite humans?

Chigger mites infest human skin via areas of contact with vegetation, such as pant cuffs or shirt sleeves and collars. They migrate on the skin in search of an optimal feeding area. A common myth about chiggers is that they burrow into and remain inside the skin. This is not true. Chiggers insert their feeding structures into the skin and inject enzymes that cause destruction of host tissue. Hardening of the surrounding skin results in the formation of a feeding tube called a stylostome. Chigger larvae then feed upon the destroyed tissue. If they are not disturbed (which is rarely the case because of they cause substantial itching) they may feed through the stylostome for a few days.

The chigger's mouth and feeding structures are delicate and are best able to penetrate the skin at areas of wrinkles, folds, or other areas of skin that are thin. Most bites occur around the ankles, the crotch and groin areas, behind the knees, and in the armpits. Barriers to migration on the skin such as belts may be one reason that chigger bites also commonly occur at the waist or at other areas where their migration is prevented by compression from clothing.
I have been getting these small itchy spots lately. At first I assumed they were insect bites but became a bit weirded out when they kept appearing for more than a couple of days. I've had them, going on, four weeks now. They're not that big a deal as I only get 1-3 new ones a day and by that point the ones from the previous day have stopped being itchy, and the ones from previous days have begun to disappear. Most, around 90%, of them occur on my legs and the top of my feet. I have noticed that I only seem to become aware of them when I am feeling a little hot in that part of the body. But I'm not sure if the heat is making them itchy (and they were already there) or if that is what is causing it and I'm having an allergic reaction to something. I generally notice them around 10pm-12am and have done so at both my home and my work (I work night shift)

Does anyone have a clue? As I say, it's only a couple of new itchy spots a day. Is that even a big deal? Think I may take some allergy tablets, starting tonight, and see if that stops it.
to me it looks like flee bites
I have the same bumps, and just like Smoran they mainly show up on my right leg, near the ankle. I have been applying alcohol thinking that would help it dry out, and have had nod luck. Just started a cortizone treatment, still waiting on results for that.
I started getting really red itchy bumps (only on my legs) about a week ago. They do swell when i scratch but eventually go away, they itch really bad and i have been even be using my hair brush to scratch (i clean it afterward).....I dont have medical insurance so i cant go to the doctor to find out what it is...I just hope i dont get sick from it, i can tolerate the itching till it goes away.
You all are describing me & 3 of 6 members in my household! We were prescribed permetheren .5% (for scabies) but that has been ineffective. They feel similar to mosquito bites, (which I always have success removing the itch after applying rubbing alcohol). I ruled out mosquito bites because a) they continue to itch even after alcohol & b) the "bite" occurs under clothed skin (like my feet if I sleep with socks!). We have an apt. to see a dermatologist tomorrow... any diagnosis out there yet?
Why not try the treatment I mentioned?  Apply zinc oxide cream after washing the area.  Post back if this works.  BTW I haven’t had any attacks this year but they usually come back in winter.  The symptoms I described are very particular.   Itching of the upper foot, ankle and lower calf (nowhere else).  Severe itching occurs at night.   Small red raised spots appear after the itching and resulting scratching.   Spots fade to dark spots when itching subsides.   If you have symptoms like this I would expect the zinc oxide cream to work.
You both mentioned autoimmune diseases (Graves and Arthritis) and I have FSGS which is a kidney auto-immune disease. I think we're on to something here that these are a symptom of auto-immunity that flair up. Thoughts?
Yesterday I noticed my knees were itching.  This morning I woke up with my entire lower leg itching.  I didn't think much of it, just thought it was dry skin and just scratched the itches and put on some lotion. The itching was intense and scratching was not alleviating it but making it itch worse.  So I started looking at my legs more closely.  There were little red bumps clustering more tightly around my ankles and spreading out the higher up my leg.  I've had chiggers,  heat rash,  and mosquito bites and it didn't quite resemble these.  The thing it most closely resembled to me is when you take an anti-biotic and put a portion of your body (like lower legs) in a hot bath and it turns red and bumpy but I hadn't been on anti-biotics.  Due to my symptoms and the symptoms on this page that sounded like they were similar to mine,  fungus made the most sense to me.  
When I went to the store and was looking at the anti-fungal medication and all of it was marketed to stop the itching I felt like I was on the right track.  I purchased the anit-fungal powder and cream.  The itching was relieved the instant I put the powder on.  
I still don't know how I picked it up but I'm just glad I got rid of that ITCH!
Hope this works for you guys - that was miserable!

I have had mine for over two years, it started with my left leg  from the knee down,  looking like the inside of a wartermelon,  the entire leg was red and pimply, the itching was so intense that many nights I awoke scratching and crying. and I wqas 72 years ol at the time
I spent my work ife working outside in construction,wearing jeans,
but the day this happened, I wore shorts, and cleaned and disinfected the public bathrooms for the city of seminole fl
I blamed it on the nasty condition of the restrooms but three doctors said no,
alergy (allergy),  dry skin,etrc. etc.  take your pick
all tests done, no conclusion,
was finally sent to a dermatoligist   prescribed  TRIAMCINALONE
0.1%
WORKS IMMEDIATELY, THE PIMPLES RECEDE,AND NO ITCHING
i DIDNT5 REALIZE SO MANY PEOPLE HAD THIS,  (MUST BE ALL THE CHEMICALS  WE ARE BEING FORCED TO INJEST!!!!!!
hii everyone, i have the same, but on both of my legs right at the top in the inside, there really itchy on a night:-/ i dont know what it is, the doctor did treat me for scabies about a month ago cause i caugh them, every since the scabies went these red little bumps came up, god know what it is, im scaredd cause i dont know if its just me that has them or anyone else?????
OMG! After I read this, looks even more helpless.
It drives me crazy at night, i can't sleep, i have all kind of thoughts, i'm jumping at night feeling that something is crawling on me, but can't see anything.
The first time i noticed a couple weeks ago, i had my first 2 itche bumps after i woke up in the morning, so i didn't pay much attention, but then i got 2 more, and now 2 weeks later, i have a quet a few, yes the older ones disaprear after itching like crazy. I tried cortizone, anti-ich, plain borage oil, nothing works.
I did have fungus-like herpes on my ankle before, but after i took some super lysine, it totaly helped, but now it doesn't and i think its something different, cuz its not clustered togehter, i have a few on my thights, behind my knees, on my belly, couple on the back.
I'll try calamine lotion.
Anybody else has tried anything?
Thank you! And good luck to all of you!!
I'm back again.
Just wanted to drop by and tell you what worked for me.
First of all, thank you to all of you, on your discriptions I decided what make most sense to me.
So, I applied Lamisil on my bumps, took couple tablets of grapefruit seed extract 3 times a day and drunk a lot of water. The first night I slept so much better, and didnt have new bumps. Now 3 days later I feel fine, but I will continue this treatment for a few more days just to make sure.
Good luck to you all!
I've found the cause of my hellish itchy welts! To everyone on this forum, regardless of you current diagnosis, I have a few suggestions:
-IMMEDIATELY invest in "protect a bed" brand of mattress & box spring encasing. Do not get sticker shock & try to justify any exceptions. They are an investment, but they are of reliable quality, & that will save you money in the end! They will reduce both allergies & bedbugs, which if you don't have both now, you most likely will eventually if you live on earth.
-Invest in PURE white sheets. Inspect them daily for clues.
-vacuum weekly, or more if possible. Especially the cracks & crevices of your sleeping places with the vac hose.
-I suspect MANY of your descriptions sound like Bedbugs. Especially if you have had house guests or traveled recently.
-Bedbugs are an epidemic, but the public is horribly un-informed & misinformed. Even my dermatologist & allergist were clueless!
-I will gladly be your resident expert on the topic.  I don't know everything, but I'm learning quickly!
Best wishes for a peaceful New Year to us all!
Hello. Well I had red bumps almost all over my legs. Some were big and some others were little. They were mostly from shaving but they itch so bad and were so red. My friend told me to get CORTIZONE 10. It is a lotion to prevent the bumps from itching and becoming bigger. She also told me to get a capsule called Zyrtex. You can get them any where. I bought mine at CVS. In about a week every bump was gone and all my redness was gone. They are pills that you take once a day. They really worked for me. Hope this helps.
Well I am 13. I don't know what's wrong. It started as 2 bite like bumps on my feet. I put benadryl on. This was in septemberish. A few more appeared. Ten they became red. Then they were one flat long bump. Then it started under the bandaids flap I had over it. Then I got a bunch of red blotch dots that randomly appear throught my legs. I have no clue what's wrong and I'm scared. Please help. :(
-Okay I'm 13
-bout right inbetween medium and large
-pretty sure I don't have diabetes
-don't think I really have any diseases
-have been around my dog who hadn't been washed since right before October.
-freinds cats
-freinds dogs
-out side
-no meds besides small things like ibuprofen and tylonel.
-started as a spider bite looking thing but got redish and spread. Small bumps itch after shower and occasionally at night.
-The first out breaks area turned into a flat not long but lineular shape. And then it spread.
-red blotch dots around the ankle foot and calf area. It all started on my right foot.
-it started between September to October. Not sure.
PLEASE reply or something because as I said I'm only 13 and I have no clue what's wrong with me. I afraid to ask my mom to take me to the doctor. I really don't know what's wrong. My mom doesn't know so she tells me to put benadryl on it but it barely even helps for the itch and this is still spreading. And you know me and how I get paranoid I'm kinda scared I'll die. I have a huge dimented imagination. So. Yeah. So PLEASE reply. My mom doesn't know so she is just brushing it off and I already have so many things wrong with me I'm falling apart I'm just sick of everything so someone please reply. If you read this thanks.
It kinda sounds like Molluscum contagiosum for some of you...just google it and see if the itchy bumps look/sound like what you have. My neice was just diagnosed with this. Very contagious, and can last in your system for up to 3 years!  Others, I would say have bedbug bites. Hope this helps!
Don't use dish soap on the kittens, it is very harsh. A natural shampoo, diluted or a pet shampoo, also diluted 1:10 and make sure you rinse it out. Don't get water in the kittens ears or eyes.
I'm a 22 white male, and I've had this issue for about 3 months. small red bumps that seem to spread in order, weather up and down, or side to side, itch horribly, and some aren't even noticable. I can feel the bump, but you cant see it. They started on my left knee, went to my theigh, to my groin, up my side, then went to my right theigh, my hip, to my backside down my leg, and up my sides. Not too many on the side, majority of itching is on my backside, groin and theighs. Within the last few days I've had several show up on a few man parts that actually got me really worried about this.

I am sexually active, and since this has started happening, I've had sex with 3 girls. All 3 are clean(medically checked) so no std's. Also I have asked the girls, being blunt asking them if they gave me anything, proof etc, and they haven't had anything. Ruling that out.

I went to a dr who though I had scabies or Chiggers back in October. They first just started itching on my knee, and I got some cream put it on, and it helped. After a few months went by, itching started getting worse, but didn't moved but up and down my left leg. It slowly kept getting worse and worse, and in december started driving me crazy. I started using cortizon creme whiched helped but didn't fix it. Now I just moved recently to germany about a month. Hearing the rumor of bed bugs before I flew over. I washed all my clothes, aired my bags and checked to make sure that wasn't the case. So now I'm over here where it has gotten 10x worse. To the point now where it itches so bad, I cant sleep and scratch so hard that its breaking them open and i'm rubbing my skin raw.

I saw my Dr this morning, and he seemed slightly confused on the location of a few of them and had a look at what was going on, but at the same time he was pretty sure it was still Eczema. I work with the guy, so he's really not going to BS me. He prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, plus a couple antihystamines to help me sleep and not itch during the day. Then prescribed Eucerin which is a moisterizer for the skin.

He was concerned that it could be something more serious(not life threatening) but for us to try this first for 3 weeks then after that, we'll see how it goes. If need be, do some test, etc.

He also said it wasn't scabbies, bed bugs or any other bug and he knew i had chiggers before.

So I'll keep ya'll updated how this works. I'll take some before and after pictures. Hopefully it'll be a start.

I'd still suggest people to go see their dr, as all conditions and symptoms could be different, and some more serious than others. Plus the stuff I got isn't over the counter. So for it to really work you'll probably need the Rx stuff.

PS: Grape fruit pill guy...That still working out for you? I'm willing to try a natural means of beating whatever this is if I can.    
im a 18 year old male and i have these little red spots/bumps all over my body like in the inner thighs, hands, legs .feets. i have noticed them for awhile now about at least 1 month now and they dont seem to be going away cant figure it out switched soaps and cleaned everything. i have no pets, but it seems like the more i itch the more it spreads. i dont think thats it is scabies bucause i already had the before and i no what to look for i've baan searching on the internet and nothing as really been answered.. but i do no that my ex girl friends mom had bed bugs but i've searched for the signs but still dont no and the other people that live in the house has no signs of anything so can somebody help????
And they seem to get worse in the morning...........
I've been getting these strange red bumps that are small and croweded together. They appear mostly on my arms, hands and ankles. I have had them for roughly about four or five months, about the time my neighbors moved in upstairs.

I thought they were origonally bedbug bites, (we had them before but managed to get rid of them, got rid of furniture and doused the house to rid of them, it worked) my boyfriend and I searched the couches, our bed but found nothing. We have taken different "powered cleaners" that are supposed to dry the bedbugs out (still unsure if we have them or not) it still hasn't helped.

We have a cat, but after inspecting her, we found nothing.

My sister and I believe it could be an allergic reaction to marijuana, my neighbors moved in upstairs roughly about the time I started getting these strange red bumps, they smoke marijuana in the house and it manages to come down into my house through the vents and into the laundry room. I get major headaches, feel dizzy and nausated, and become very, very itchy when I smell drug.

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to hopefully pinpoint this down! I'll come back tomorrow and see what happens... If I find out what it could be, I'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as possible!
I itch my lower calves and then the next day it has about 20 small red dots. Some of them have scaps over them. Also, when I start itching I can't stop. I am not have new medicines except I have an Emergen- C about everyday but I don't think it has eventhing to do with it though. I don't know what to do or what they are. Please help.
Yeah, here too. I've had this problem for years, except the past few years it's gotten a lot worse. I use to be able to wear tang tops sleeveless tops at least. I would cover my embarrassing excuse for legs but at least I was proud to reveal my flawless smooth tanned skinned arms and whatever else I could show off without getting ticketed for public indecent exposure. But now, well now and for some time now I've had to cover my arms down to almost my elbows in order to still feel sexy when I go out in public. I hate when summer time comes around. Everyone's havin fun, girls in there short shorts and bikini's with good skin. I don't hate them, I just wish I could do the same like I remember that I would back in the days. I don't know if there is anything that will really truly make this situation go away. I mean I have small scars from scratchin so much through the years. What's gonna fix that? If anyone truly has the answer, I mean without a doubt have the solution, please let me know. I wish you all luck on here. I know what you all are going through.  
Just today, I woke up itching like crazy in the middle of the night. I ended up falling back to sleep but when I woke up in the morning, I had big and small red itchy bumps on my lower right leg. I took some Benedryl and put on some hydrocortisone cream, that helped for about two hours to relieve the itch, but after that, it came back. I did the same treatment but it didn't wok the second time. I was loking at pictures on Google, searching Chiggers since that is a main concept on here, and one in particular looked just like mine, here is the link:
http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/1050/100/982/002/bad_bugs_s17.jpg
I am also itchy on my lower back and upper neck near jaw. My sister is Diabetic and my mother has Chron's, but I don't think that means anything. I haven't used any different soaps,makeup etc. but I did eat a food that had Almonds and coconut in it, and my brother is allergic to nuts so it runs in the family but my leg definitely looks like chiggers. My mom is taking me to the doctor soon to get it checked out. Also, at the beginning of the month, I had the same looking bumps on my lower back but I doubt that is related.
Well mine is abit different.... the last few days i have noticed that my feet get really really itchy (under them), red spots top and bottom of feet (not the calf), also under my feet are all of a sudden really dry.
I am thinking that because i am able to wear my slippers all day and not have a problem....then put on socks for a couple of hours and take them off to itch sore feet, that i am having some kind of allergy to socks!!!!
weird thing is that under my feet (where they itch and dry) it aches.... anyone else had/have this?
Especially for those with auto immune conditions, you might want to consider that your itchy rash is related to a gluten sensitivity also known as dermatitis herpetiformis which is an indication of celiac disease. check out http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/whatisceliacdisease/a/DermatitisHerp.htm  FYI - many people with celiac disease have NO other symptoms than this and ultimately this is how they are diagnosed.
I'm 13 and for the past week I got little red pimple like dots on my legs, arms, ankles, and back. They are not that itchy and new ones show up almost everyday. It isn't allergies. It might be scabies, bed bugs, or chicken pox... but I don't think so. If anyone can help figure out what they are I would be really happy!! :D
also they are not fluid filled and i was checking my bed for bed bugs when i realized I had two tiny red bumps on my finger
ok here is my update....i started with red spots/rash on my feet....then on calves...they seemed to only come up at night to start with.   They then travelled right up my thighs and then it went onto my hands and arms.  This time it was there during the day too.  Went to the Doctor to finally find out that I have HIVES!!!!! how we are unsure.  I went on 40mg prednisone for a week and they all disappeared.  As soon as the prednisone finished they came back again....so I'm back on the prednisone and heading back to the doctor tomorrow..... you can get hives from Food, changes in medication, pollen etc....i have counted out food and medicine and can only think of pollen, as u wont get it from laundry powder or soap etc.  I have never had this before and dont know why it keeps coming back.
Look up Hives in google and check out the pics to see if that is what u guys have.  Best of Luck
Happened to me.....  after being to the beach ... sand flies. the little buggers get under your trousers and inside your socks .. no problem, but they cause havok, but don't live long away from the beach .. uncomfortable and bloody irritating...
One day i Wake up n i feel bumps dat r red n itchy as it become night tyme they begin to be painful on my legs to where it feels like i can't walk dats how much it hurts sum people say Its bed bugs some say hives other say an allergic reaction someone please help me
so does any of yu guys have the slightest clue as to wat it is?! i gots em too and id like some answers!
I have these bumps that look like pimples only on one leg some are spread some are together. They are really itchy and they hurt. New ones are starting to come out. HELP!!!!!!
i have these red bumps on my legs. the weird thing is that my mom had them about a month ago in the same exact place, on the front of the shins. i only found that i had them because it felt like a bruise and slight itching so i lifted up my pant leg and there were about 10-15 different red pimple like red bumps on the front of my leg. they are not anywhere else on my body though. they're not even on the back of my leg. and it just feels itchy and discomforting. it's really disgusting and i'm not quite sure what it is. i think it might be heat rash or bed bugs or something but i don't see how either of those are adequate. what are they!?
I have almost read this whole post..
-22 Female
-Started a few days ago while at work
-Khakis, polo, socks and shoes (which I wear everyday)
-The red bumps varry in size
-Started around right calf now on both legs and feet
-Look like mosquito bites
-The more I itch the bigger the area becomes
-I have tried different lotions thinking it is dry skin
-I read about people talking about the heat but I'm in A/C all day

-I am at a loss, the itching is soooo bad it is distracting. I think after work I am going to go buy calamine lotion and hope that helps (even for a bit)

*Thanks all*
My sister and I had something similar when we were younger. We went to the doctors but they couldn't do anything about it, they just said it was an infection/disease called foot & limb and that it was nothing to worry about. They also said it could have been caused by using the same towel as someone else. It's still worth getting them checked out by your GP though going off past comments.
I read all posts on this thread and it appears that some people have different conditions than others (although all have red itchy spots). I've had a problem with dime-sized red itchy circle dots, and even one the size of a quarter, that ONLY appear on my legs (from above the ankles to below the knees; shins and calves). This is the 2nd time I've got these dots (last time was about 1 year and a half ago). I remember a few days ago that my legs got a itchy/tingly sensation after I had exercised and were sweaty. I didn't worry because I thought it was just my leg hair, the sweat, and the humidity (which could be the case and just makes it worse). The next day (2 days ago) the red spots appeared and the extreme itchiness began. The last time I think the itching began because of wearing football-length socks (again the hair, sweat, etc.). These dots are not bumps so I haven't really seen any online that look like mine. Mine are flat with a tiny bump in the middle. They start out red, then as it heals on its own begins to get darker (purple-like color), and then after about a week or two the itching stops and the marks get smaller (but the marks from the last time are still there, though smaller and a lot less visible, especially since I have darker skin). I am not diabetic nor have any other disease that I'm aware of (although I do get allergies occasionally during the summer). I have 5 spots on my right leg (none touching each other) and 2 on my left (these are close and are somewhat connected shown by red on the skin that connects). The last time I had more on my left (I think because I slept on my left side) and this time I have been sleeping more on my right side and now I have more on my right leg (The itching gets really bad at night). With all the evidence given I think it is either chiggers/hives which can be caused by excessive sweating according to this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001848/ or I think it could be bed bugs (and sweating just makes it worse) because it's worse at night (and the whole more on the right from sleeping on right). Still not sure why it's ONLY my legs. I've contemplated shaving my legs because my hair seems to aggravate it when anything touches my hair anywhere near the mark (even if its not the hair on the mark). Also hot water makes it worse, while cold water and ice makes it better. If it's bed bugs, wouldn't my arms be affected too since it's bear skin also? (although I sleep on a couch and so my arms might be harder for the bugs to reach). I wear socks to sleep so my feet wouldn't be anyway. I might start wearing pants to sleep and see if it continues. The closest resemblance are these that someone posted: http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/1050/100/982/002/bad_bugs_s17.jpg. But again, mine are not that widespread (only a few on each leg) and I have darker skin so it's hard to tell if they are the same because mine aren't that bright (though still very noticeable). Also the person that posted it (hollywoodgirl9213) said they got it in other places too, and mine are ONLY on my legs.I am a 19 year old male. I know this was a long post, but I have an idea of what caused it and it might be the same thing that affected others that said that it only appeared on the legs.
Okay so here is my story... I just got home from my family vacation, a friend of mine came along with us. She and I have both gotten these small red bumps that started on our ankles and now the first ones are dried up and we both have new ones poping up out of nowhere. We both feel the itch before we see the bump. It itches for a day and then dries up. We both have them on out ankles, toes,behind our knees, elbows, inner arms, and a couple upper arms. We are both in the medical field and we are cluelessas to what this is. Nothing in our diets have changed nor our detergents. No one else on the trip got these bumps. We are lost....
Hi Fellow Sufferers

I read this entire post a few weeks ago since I have been having this problem seasonally for 3 years now and thought it was an STD lol I found the culprit one late night

*********  ITS FLEAS  **********

they are extremely hard to spot as they are cunning and wait till 4-5pm when its quiet and dark and youre not moving before they move in on your heat/CO2 source

********  TRUST ME IM RIGHT ON THIS  **********

It can reoccur when you take out unwashed summer/winter clothes from your closets

bites start on ankles legs and spread in groups common around the waist barrier (boxer shorts etc) but also hit arms legs hands torso...

itch for a few days then fade to smaller purple dots for a week or so? Yep its fleas. Some people are more allergic than others

WIKI fleas for how to blitz them... its hard... 1 female can produce 250 thousand offspring in a month :/ and the baby fleas are tiny when they come... dont give her a chance to breed you only have a few days to act!

Good Luck!!  your welcome...

Jon
i have these blistery bumps and started getting them 2 years ago. look up polymorphic light eruption. it is a sensitivity to sunlight.people usually get this in their early/ mid 20s.  once you get this reaction it always comes back. and if these little bumps are clustered DONT SCRATCH or it will spread- that there is heat rash. sweating and hot temps will cause that. i have had both. cortizone 10 sunscreen, beta carotene, calamine lotion and not taking hot showers or baths help very much. it is an annoying thing and very inconvenient- but you'll live. reactions dont last too long but if they do see a doctor so they can give you a steroid cream which makes it go bye bye real fast in about 10-14 days. thats all i got on info pretty much. hope it helps
I too work in tall leather laced boots with tall socks. I don't even notice the itch until the very moment I take off the socks after working all day. Then BAM, mad itching. Mostly cannot even see red bumps until I try to scratch them off my ankles and the tops of my feet. So far the only thing I can find to relieve the itch is Aloe Vera with Lidocaine. Still doesn't fix the problem, only covers it up. Really would like to know what it is. No new detergent, don't think its bugs either.
put some herbal oils like tea, peppermint, lavander etc.( i used 7 different oils) in small quantities into a cup of alcohol ( i used spirit alcohol by the way,  98 % alcohol) , mix them well and rub it to the red spots without hesitating to scratch the area. In one day or two the bumps fads away and the itching wanishes. but you have to do the practice even if the area is healed to make sure that there is no trace left.  I also ate garlic which do the healing process from inside by blood flow to the area. i am suspecting that this condition is from some kind of candida. Right now i have the same condition and aplied my concoction and ate my garlic :) at the same time. the itching wanished minutes. but i am trying to find another way to escape from the bad smell of garlic in the morning. i found out a mixture as well. anyone interested i can share. my best wishes.
ZINC OXIDE CREAM works!
It doesn't get rid of the cause of bumps (bedbugs, dust mites, or whatever), though it definitely stopped itching and turned red rashes to brown in 2-4 days. Thank you for your advice.
Thank you for your feedback.  There does seems to be a mix of different symptoms described on this thread so, to make it clear, the itchy bumps that I and some other describe have very precise symptoms.

Itching often wakes you at night with intense desire to scratch.
Only top of feet and front of calf are affected.
Tiny red bumps can be seen following the first attack of intense itching.  
The red bumps fade to dark brown over a period of weeks and can persist for a month or so even when they stop itching.

I suppose it could be described as a type of Folliculitis possibly fungal or bacterial in origin, so in my view the Zinc Oxide Cream seems to relieve symptoms and reduce the period of the attack by destroying the fungal or bacterial infection.

Itching that worsens at night along with red bug-like bites that spread to other parts of the body and lasts for several weeks or months, could be scabies. It's best to see a dermatologist.
Of course some people posting on this  thread may have scabies.  The symptoms I described, and which others have complained of , are very specific and are deffinitely not scabies.   Seeing an expert may be worthwhile but you may note from other posts that in most instances this has been tried but with no success.  
Look up chiggers. Usualy get them from grass,  tall grass.  If you haven't been in grass then maybe a pet.
Some people posting on this thread may have "chggers" but  The symptoms I described and which others have also mentioned are not like any type of bug or mite bite.  They are probably a fungal or bacterial folliculitis and that is why the Zinc Oxide cream works.
Molluscum contagiosum--google it.  My 13 year old has symptoms--red hard bumps that itch. On her thighs, spread to knees, believe it started on her inner arm by the elbow.  Just went to doctor,,,yep it is.  Steroid for the itch, Cerve lotion for the dryness, and prescription to help it go away.  But will take awhile.  Can last up to 4 years.
I have the same exact thing as many of you are mentioning here. It started on my feet I had small red bumps that almost looked like pimples and it moved up to my lower leg. Most of the bumps on my feet have gone away but the remaining ones have turned a deep, brownish color. They are SO itchy and when it first started I could not sleep at night. I started to used a dry and itch lotion that works really well, it's like a store brand version of Gold Bond lotion. But it doesn't last for very long and it makes me feel cold.
I went to the doctor and he told me I had a Staph infection (GROSSS) he was incorrect though, thank God. I went to my dermo and he said it looked like chiggers. They're not chiggers, there is no fluid and my grandmother had chiggers and they looked nothing like this. I was on a steroid for an allergic reaction to a medicine the staph infection doctor gave me and the red bumps were going away. Well I stopped the steriod and woke up today to red bumps all over my entire legs, my arms and now on my face by my eyes! I have been dealing with these bumps now for over a month. After reading the posts and seeing that it was going away while on the steroid I think it may be something with my vitamins. I take many vitamins and had just started a new bottle of Vitamin B complex right before this started. I have always purchased this brand and type of vitamin B but apparently they can be made in different facilities or change the fillers. I am going to try not taking any of my vitamins for a few days to see if this helps.
my son ritwik 18 months old is having itching red bumps which soon dries up if applied antiseptic cream left untouched.
it appeared only on one leg below the knee.no aalergy,/side effects of drugs./no detergents/no mosquitoes/bugs.all these alredy checked.
suggest treatment

manohar mehta
people keep saying chiggers/fleas like they just found the answer to cancer. might be true for some symptoms, but its not an a cure for all the symptoms listed in this thread because everyone is listing pretty different symptoms.

mine starts with a light itching. after reflexively scratching it, it turns into bumps, and i later form symptoms much like what wobblesox put out:

1. itching irritates the skin and later forms bumps
2. continual scratching at night eventually turns into scabs
3. scabs are still very itchy, and takes several months to heal
4. instead of skin healing completely, the skin turns dark.
5.areas affected are only the top of the feet, shins, and calves
6. seems like it happens during winter; ive had this the year previous to this, went away, and this winter, it strikes again. so evidently, something seasonal.
7. it itches at all times, but most noticeable during night when im sleeping; most likely due to the fact that im too busy to notice the symptoms while im working.

- i can effectively rule out fleas/bed bugs due to the fact that only selective areas are affected. i also had chance to move around a lot and change my sleeping areas, with symptoms not going away.
- i can rule out allergic reaction because my intake of food/supplement has not changed.
- i can rule out fungal infection because due to the nature of my work, i usually end up taking showers 2-3 times a day, with healthy application of foot powder. application of fungal medicine does not help.

every time i had an outbreak (both this year and last year), i always suspected it was due to ant bites. now that the symptoms have come full blast, i am not too sure that was the case. i wonder if it has something to do with how my body handles stress and causing hormonal imbalance which severely irritates the skin and prevents the white blood cells in repairing it quickly.

anyways, last year i visited the doctor, who had no concrete answer for me. he ended up prescribing me a cream lotion (probably zinc oxide) to subside the itching. i remember i would get rubbing alcohol every morning and night and then apply the cream. it took about 2 months before it went away, leaving lots of dark spots where the itch spots were.

and now i got it again. fark my life. hahaha. looks like its back to the drawing board, but i would really like to figure out thecause ofthis.
I just returned from a business trip to Puerto Rico and St. Croix.  On Puerto Rico I did have time to walk on the beach near the hotel, and in a public park.  I did not do either in St. Croix.  We returned from St. Croix on Friday, spent a lot of time in the airport in San Juan, then back to the USA.  I go over this just to mention the climate changes.

Friday night, before undressing or getting into bed, I started itching my ankle and found a small bump.  I dismissed it as some kind of bug bite.  By bed time, I had two or three just on the one foot, so I removed my socks and got ready for bed.  
By morning, I had six or seven bites [hives, red spots, whatever] up my same leg as the ankle.  The bites are very itchy, very red, and resemble mosquito bites, but on the very small side unless I scratch.  Then they get larger or swell.  The older ones are small and harder in texture.  The itching gets worse in the evening, and is almost unbearable over night.  I think the heat in bed irritates them.  In the morning I notice more of them.

So far, I have them on both feet - only 3 or 4 per foot, both legs, but only from the knee down, and a few on my left arm from slightly below my elbow (one bump), to up the back of my arm from elbow to shoulder, about 3 bumps.

I have been using Lanacane Maximum strength anti itch cream, which I discovered after gettin spider bites camping a few years ago, and it is not really helping.  I will try zinc oxide to see if it works.  Otherwise I am off to the allergist and dermatologist.  

I think the fungal/yeast thing may have some merit, as long as it is not some kind of viral thing like chicken pox/shingles.  
Feet and ankle red bumps are probably chiggers, but anywhere else on the body - arms, hips, chest - in today's world you must consider bed bugs because they are rampant throughout the world right now - hotels are full of them - don't bring your luggage in the house after travel without fumigating - these blood suckers are going to get you at night while you're asleep and they are close to impossible to eradicate - lots of stuff on Google about the problem. Many libraries are closing for fumigation because they are in borrowed books (people read in bed).  In many cases if other bugs are ruled out, it could be bed bugs.
Let's keep this thread about the unexplained small red spots that itch at night and affect the upper feet and shins and than turn to larger spots after scratching and then turn to brown spots which take a long time to fade.

I only speak from experience when I say zinc oxide cream seems to work.  Wash the affected area and apply cream as soon as symptoms start, and any attack should be cut short.

It really is not bed bugs or chiggers or ants or fleas.
The past few weeks I've been getting these weird extremely itchy bumps on my calves.  They appear between 10 pm and 2 am and are gone when I get up in the morning.  At first the itch was mild but its been increasing every night.  I know it's not the fabric of my clothes as the pants I've worn are all pants I've worm many times in the past and are made of mainly cotton (most other fabrics irritate my skin with prolonged exposure).  I've also ruled out insect bites as if they were, they wouldn't be gone in the morning, they'd still be there.  Besides, I've had so many ant and mosquito bites through out my life that I'd know how to identify them.  The only major change that has happened is that I'm now living in a far colder environment then I ever have lived in.  However, I'd assume that if it was caused by the temperature, they'd show up when I was actually out dealing with the weather instead of late at night.  I tried hydrocotrisone cream on them last night and that seemed to stop most of the itching but I still want to know what the bumps are and what could be causing them.  (They look kinda like large hives).
i have the same thing, im wonddering also, my parents say its ring worm, that what we may have, im not sure go to the doctor. i will in a couple of weeks if it can wait that long!
I've had red blotches quite a while on my feet, now climbing up my legs.

Only one big spot on one foot itches, which can wake me up some times.

When it itches, it feels so good to scratch, that I can't hardly stop, sometimes breaking the skin.

I've learned not to scratch, although it's madding not to be able to.

So, I found another way that is equivalent to the sensation of scratching without touching the skin.

I USED A HAIR DRIER!  

For a few seconds it felt extremely good like I was scratching, then the itch went away as the skin kept getting as hot as I could stand it with the drier held maybe an inch from the skin.

With me, the anti itch creams never worked.

The extreme hot air on the skin did the trick in less than a minute, and I noticed the itch doesn't come back for a week or more after that, where before it was every single day.

Maybe it is indeed something alive in there that don't mind warmth, but can't take near scalding heat.

Had dat same scratchn, mine started in 2yrs back, it was terrible, the scratchn started from d sides of my feet, then my ankle n my knees, but after a while it spread to my hands n sumtimes my neck n face. D scratchn is usually terrible in d nights when I am about to sleep. Use dettol antiseptic with a strong antiseptic soap which helps for a while. But just got a herbal ointment by d road side n for 1mnth since I have been using it. I haven't scratched. Thank God.
I have the same problem, mostly at night I itch and after I get the red blotches, raised bumps. I shower in warm water and then liberally rub myself down with avon skin so soft oil which seems to make the itching stop for a while. Don't have bed bugs, did not try anything new. but it feels like something is crawling under my skin faintly, sometimes i jump at night thinking a bug is on me, or something, itches to the point where i cant sleep.
they're might be a spider or some kind of bug in your bed if you don't believe then wear knee-high socks to bed and if there are red bumps on your knees or above the sock then there are. What you need to do is put bug bight cream on it for a few days and they should go away if they don't you need to see a doctor. They also might be scabies which are a highly contagious skin problem that are caused by itch mights they are also raised and red and itch. If they are on your back then it might be grass mights. I hope this helped and if not I'm sorry but I have the same thing and I have no idea what they are.
If it's Chiggers, the following site has a huge article on exactly what they are doing to you, and the method they use to do it. It says they don't like heat above 99 degrees, and 42 degrees will kill them. Also tells what natural remedies work, and what doesn't.

The hot, and cold makes sense in my case i.e., the itching went away using my hair drier, and on the flip side, it went away with a small bag of ice applied.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/avoid-outdoor-pests/chiggers
Sounds like a lot of people have this. Mine broke out after a session of hot yoga. My friend had an awful rash that he couldn't help scratching and scabbed over ALL over his arms, back and legs. I wonder if I got it from him initially because i helped him apply topical things that did not help him. That was almost 3 months ago though. They started on my forearms and appear to form in 1 to 3 bumps per group. Not all of them itch but I probably have somewhere between 20 and 40 bites between my arms, neck and legs. All appeared in less than 12 hours after noticing the first ones. I showered after hot yoga. Have applied cortisol, zinc oxide and fragrance free lotion after showering two more times since I've noticed them. SO WEIRD!
The only thing that has worked for me so far (arms and neck) has been anti-biotics. Done two courses and both reduced the lumps and stopped them itching immediately. Also killed all the pimple like ones with liquid heads but unfortunately they have reappeared twice now fairly quickly.

I'm have it down to 3 possible causes.
-Some bug or fungus I got from Thailand/China holiday recently (came up first soon after I got home)
-Greatly increased exposure to sun and recent bouts of pretty bad sunburn
-Bed bugs or similar parasite that could really have come from anywhere but probably some dirty girl i brought home recently.

Its worth noting that I have never really been allergic to anything (especially in my skin) and generally have a great immune system and very fast metabolism. I'm a 24 year old male.

Doctor gave me scabies treatment, did nothing. Then an extremely powerful cortisone cream, did close to nothing. Finally out of frustration I told them to put me on anti biotics again but it seems to only suppress the symptoms.

So after reading all this, first I'm going to fumigate my house with excessive bug bombs. Then im going to try the zinc oxide cream which several people recommended. If that doesn't work im going to ice my arm until it turns blue and frost bitten. And finally if all that fails I'll try anti-fungal meds or a DIY amputation (not really).

I'll let you guys know what, if anything, works. Wish me luck
I have the EXACT same problem!! you literally described my situation. no allergies, nothings changed, and i keep waking up with small red bumps that kinda itch, and get worse the more i itch. Benadryl cream helps a little. mine are also mostly on my legs, and  worse on my right leg. My bed is only 4 months old as well as my sheets, and when this started happening two days ago i immediately washed my sheets. Still getting bumps. help!!
My feet looks like someone spatter painted them with red paint. The itching comes, and goes in different places on the feet.

I recently saw a little bit of result by using a product called "Chigger Away".

I smeared it on my feet, and by my own idea, slid plastic grocery bags on with my socks holding them in place. I never itched all day at work with them on, and it helped my dry cracking feet by holding in the moisture.

The next morning, I noticed my feet wasn't so much bright red like they were.

The product is called Chigger Away, which is supposed to be the number one product used in the field by the military. Contains Sulfur which is something chiggers can't stand.

http://www.chiggaway.com/

All that being said, I'm still not sure if its chiggers that I have. I don't know if it was the product that helped, or something about the plastic bags cutting off air.

Maybe it was both in combo. The product, with the sulfur ingredient did not have an offensive smell, and my feet did not have an offensive scent using the Chigger Away product.

It was suggested on another site that they would when sulfur is used inside shoes as a repellent. I actually think it prevented it while wearing those plastic bags with no air getting to the sweat. Maybe the bacteria in the sweat didn't like it either.

Does what you have look like the examples in the below site? I don't have it that bad yet.

http://www.medhelp.org/dermatology/slideshows/Pictures-of-Common-Skin-Rashes/136
this sounds a little like hives, how long have you had them and did they go away?
I have been dealing with this for 10 years. I went to a Dermatologists years ago. He game me a prescription for Betamethasone Dipropionate. Get extra refills. When you get the itch starting wash foot and apply cream. It will stop the itch for a couple of weeks, I tried all the other cures, allergies, detergents, change boots, different socks, athletes foot meds, soaking my feet, nothing worked. I do believe it may be with my diet. I have truly felt it was coffee and hot tea. Too much caffeine, working long hours in work boots and the itch would start. I switched to decaf, which has helped. If I have a couple coffees the itch comes back. I'm not 100 % sure. I also starting to think too much sugar or even early stages of diabetes?? I'm going for a physical again, last time all tests were Ok. I'm 42. It's tough to give up coffee!!!
yes why?
yeah why?
Yea, Ive been having the same thing...itchy red bumps mine first started out on my feet and gradually worked their way up now i have them on my arms. At first i thought it was a pimple (so i popped it) and some clear liquid came out, after it started itching real bad. I recently started using different soap but switched back after i thought it was the soap. However, my family members are getting them as well, so i am thinking its the laundry detergent. I know its not insects/bugs because i bought some bug killer bombs that kills fleas,mites,spiders,bed bugs and such. Ive had mine since the end of summer.  Ive been looking on the internet for a while and i have not found an answer. My guardians also refuse to take me to a hospital until it gets progressively worse (which i think will be to late at that time). Anti itch creams help sometime, but still itch. The bumps only seemed to form when i sleep or take a shower. I have had pets in the same room, however i bathed them and de-flea'd them. I don't go outside much so i can also exclude chiggers/other outside insects. I believe its an infection but im not sure yet. The bumps itch a lot, to the point where i only feel relief when i start scratching and it bleeds. I'm fairly hygienic...1-2 showers a day, wash my laundry/bedsheets every week, i vacuum once or twice a week. I have not been traveling anywhere, only school to home.  And yes, i sometimes feel like a bug crawling on me, but when i check, there's nothing there. Once it scabs up it still itches, however i have some that have healed and they have turned into dark purple-ish spots. I am fairly healthy, no infections/diseases (that i know of), however, i have also been experiencing stomach pains all of a sudden and dizziness now. But i believe thats due to someone getting me sick at school.
Rub fecal matter on the bumps.The smell will help u forget about the itch.
As I've read these I'm seeing two different things. some experience the red "blotches" and dark spots afterwards and some just the itchy red "bites" around ankles and groin.  I'm having the "bites" on my ankles that come and go.  Itching at night mostly and no sign of bed bugs or any bugs for that matter.  My husband occasionally gets them on his ankles and my daughter woke up one morning with them all over her groin area.  We've started drinking alkaline water as a family a few months before this all started and I wondered if that was true of anyone else?  The other idea I'm leaning toward is a fungal infection. our bath tub doesn't drain well and water fills about ankle high during showers.. any thoughts?
Holy cow, after having this occur every two or three years in the winter, I think the zinc oxide just might be the thing.

I think some folks may be confused by your "nappy cream" term: in the States it's called diaper rash ointment.  I bought a tube of the Walgreen's version of Desitin and it looks better after 24 hours.

Again: I am only talking about the apparently seasonal occurrence of red bumps that show up ONLY around the ankles and lower legs, you scratch them and they feel hot, they leave dark blotches/scars that take months to fade.
Suffering from this too, if not the same, then something similar. I get small red pimple marks on my lower legs that slowly begin to itch. When I touch or scratch them they get very irritated and soon after notice small bumps in the same area, but that aren't visible like the pimples. If I pass my fingers over my leg, I can feel the small scabs from scratching and the bumps on the skin.

This has happened before, then suddenly stopped and has now reappeared. I also go a few of them on the sides of my stomach and some on my left arm near and above the elbow. Tried some antihistamine pills and didn't help, neither did cortisone cream. I'm using some calamine cream as that soothes the itching for a while. Not sure why I keep getting this from time to time. I will go and see a dermatologist next week as I'm fed up with this. I promise to post any conclusions I may find.
I used Desitin 40 % zinc oxide and then Psoriasin gel.  Both from Walmart.  They work. Bumps are gone,
itch has stopped, darkened skin is gone.
Apple Cider Vinegar...hold a soaked cotton ball on bite for a minute, or place a bandaid over the soaked cotton ball over night.  The bite will disappear and the itching will cease.  Not sure why, or what it is...but this just works and it is natural.   HAve been fighting these for the past several months...nob ody else in the house is effected.
u have scabies the symptoms of being between your fingers are a dead give away. the couch is probably how its getting spread. promythral 5% is the cure and wash everything in hot water and vaccuum spray mattresses and repeat in 7 days.
I have been to so many doctors, and none of them know what my problem is. I also have red tender, itchy lumps on my right leg, muscles soar, have taken 2 different kinds of antibiotics. Now taking ibuprophin for the pain, my knee is swollen, i can't hardly walk. as the days go by, it seems like its getting worse. I need help.
OMG... Hoped to find some help here but it scared me even more...
I have them right now.

I thing it can be because of: 1. Sun exposure, 2. Allergy, 3. Or stress... :(
Mine finally went away. Legs and feet are not red any more. The only thing I did was rub some CHIGG-AWAY® on my feet when I had to wear shoes and socks. All other times I  would just wear sandles without socks and would never have an itch flare up that way.

Mine could have been chiggers, because I cut a lot of grass and rake tons of pine straw That's where chiggers (known as red bugs) live. Funny I never saw them, and never felt anything crawling on me.

So it was either the Chigg-Away that it couldn't tolerate inside my socks, or maybe it was just my body that eventually found a way to get rid of the invasion by itself.

Whichever it was, I'm glad it's gone.
fleas
fleas
Just for further interest I have found the Zinc Oxide cream, sold in the UK by Johnson and Johnson for Nappy/Diaper rash, also works for Seborrheic Dermatitis if left on overnight and washed off in the morning.   After about a week the itching and scaling will have gone.   Because we know that the Diaper/Nappy rash and Seborrheic Dermatitis are caused by the same fungus it looks like the ankle rash we are discussing in this thread is also fungal in origin.  

Deffinitely not chiggers or fleas.
Scabies.... Often easily misdiagnosed.  May come and go and only appear onyour legs, inner thigh, armpits, waist line, places of higher body temp... Etc.  looks like little pimples or mosquito bites.  Early signs, the. After month it could get worse..... Permethrin cream will help, rub it in and problem should be solved.  
I have had these same things except mine looks almost like a rash but the itching is driving me crazy i cant stand it. These rash type bumps are only on the inside of my right calf. To give a description its multiple bumps in a 1 inch by 1 inch circle shape anyone know wht this could be
I'm 14 years old. Healthy as far as I know and I noticed these red bumps/possible bites on my lower right leg in a cluster as they've been getting worse. They are only slightly elevated and to me they look like bites with a darker red spot in the middle. When I first found them there were only a few but now there's about 16 clustered kind of near each other. And now I'm noticing a couple new spots on my lower left leg, about 5 now. There's a bunch of spots and I just noticed them yesterday. I put cortozone cream on them with no real help. They kind of itch but not so much that I think about it constantly. It might just be the fact that I'm concerned about them but the more I think about them the more I want to itch them. I haven't taken any new medicine, checked for fleas or bed bugs but doesn't seem likely. They don't look like chigger bites, plus the last time I was around grass was about a week ago and chiggers usually start around feet or ankles and then work their way upward but these are ONLY on my lower leg (not near ankle or knee just in the middle) and these spots just appeared the other day. It can't be from shaving because I noticed them before I was about to shave my legs in the shower yesterday I saw them. It had been about 4 days since I had shaved so I don't think that could've caused anything like I have. I've asked family what they think but they're aren't exactly sure. An allergic reaction? I'm not sure. I changed detergent about 2 weeks ago because I'm staying with my grandma but I've used her detergent in the past without any problems. I've researched online a bunch of related things to what I have but it seems they are all different from mine. I'm not sure what it could possibly be from. Anyone have any ideas? Please help. It would really put my mind at rest if I knew what they are from. I'm surprised how much they are multiplying and I'm not even scratching them!
You've described my itchy rash exactly; I was always told that it was "sun poisoning" caused by the sudden exposure to lots of sun, and I've always had it in the summer, so it made sense.  But now, I have it on my lower calf only on the right leg!!  I'm going to try the zinc oxide suggestion, and let you know how it goes.  I'm very light skinned, and I look like I have leprosy or worse right now...can't wear shorts at all.
i have the same thing im only twelve im very lightskinnned and ive been kept up for the past week iching and i got it when i was in my house playin video games a 1PM can anyone help
Day before yesterday I also broke out in bumps on my feet and now two days later they are spreading to upper thighs to belly and now I woke this morning there is a new on on my shoulder. I been reading all the post and it seems the doctors are not hitting this straight on. I have put alcohol  on and calamine lotion on and washed everything I have come I contact with. My mate is a big outdoor person I think it is something he has brought into the house and I think it is seasonal . Sandmite or chiggers or some other insect that has a  seasonal  outing to migrate or to breed in the grass and everywhere. Everyone has had success in different methods of relieving the itch my thought is to do trial and error. Keep washing everything and dry in dryer or get a indoor bug spray that is non toxic to humans and animals and spray on floors and carpets and take clothes right off from outing outside and put in washing machine or laundry hamper that has a disposable bag to throw away after you get a load to wash. The more you walk around with clothes you just walked in outside the more you are spreading into the house. I think cats and dogs can bring the mites into the home if the are let out from time to time during the day. So it is going to be a constant battle till the mites go into hibernation. Try looking thur your dryer lint for signs of critters if you find something take to your local outside person like a Earl May Store and ask who you can get ahold of to find out what your dealing with . Good luck all. When you look at your dryer lint look with tweezers and magnifying glass.
I have had like a sick feeling. And I woke up with bruises all over my arms and legs and I got sick and I thought I had the flu but then the next day I felt Better but that night I. started to brake out. with these little red. bumps that are crazy itchy I have been getting them for about 2 weeks now I thought I had cancer then thought I had a Bacterial infection while I still kept getting them itchy as hell I just moved into this house about two months ago and the carpets stunk like cat **** soon bad so I vacuumed and steam washed the carpets and washed all the linen in the house bombed every room and everything seemed fine for about 2 days I felt great I thought it was gone til last night I woke up with itching and tons more iTunes bumps so I looked under the light and in the bumps was like a piece of hair is what it looked like so I pulled it and looked really close I can accually see these tiny black and grey bugs coming out of them its discusting when you scratch them watch really close under light you'll see them coming and going in and out of your skin ewes worst thing ever there all over your house there on the floor they look like bird feathers and strings of hair with curl I thought they where like elastic on my pants and clothes like they where worn they look like hairy egg like **** there's grey ones that look like lint and black ones that look like thin worm's its the worst I gotta get rid of them there building lines to each bump like tunnels I'm horrified I don't know what to do! I wish I never moved here!
I am at a lakehouse and I to have red bumps all over my body and there really close together and it like mosquito bites and they are mostly on my calves but there's some on my arms I have no idea what to do they itch so badly and mostly thee is one spot on my right calve that is covered more so than the rest of my body and it has like 100 red some bigger and some smaller bumps!
I have been researching and comparing myself to my fiance which doesnt have this issue and we do everything together.  I have looked at 25 different causes to something similar to this condition and nothing that is an exact match yet.  
Sand Jiggers or chiggers seem to be the closest match so far.  It must be some micro-organism that is in the same family or close to chiggers because it starts at the ankles and works its way up.  It has to be something living in the grasses.  My only thought that sticks in the back of my mind is how come there isn't many stink bugs anymore.  Was something released by our govt that is causing this reaction to certian people like us?
for all known causes that i know of, sand jiggers,chiggers,hives are the only things that come close to describing this new condition.  If its not one of these 3 it is must be treated as unknown.  It is important to take care and make sure no infections sets in one of your sores.  If so consult your doctors asap.  I am like most of you in the fact that I dont have much money and cannot afford testing so I am experimenting in the hope to find fixes and or reliefs.

Funny you say you have autoimmune issues. My sister has Lupus and she told me about a sudden appearance of the same exact thing you described. Her derm. doc doesn't know what they are, her regular doc doesn't know what they are. I am not sure if she ever asked her Rheumatologist.  Well lately I have been feeling like my immune system has been compromised. and today all of a sudden while I was warming up to work out little red, itchy bumps popped out randomly on my feet, ankles and calves.  My sister told me her doc called them "inside out Mosquito bites" because the look and feel like one but they come from the inside. I bet if you and I researched more others with Autoimmune related illnesses will say they experienced the same thing. I would think a rheumatologist would know but sometime patience doesn’t report these kinds of symptoms to that doc thinking it’s a derma logical issue.  Sorry I can help but I can confirm and see a possible connection.  
how would being diabetic effect it? I got bumps just like these decriptions 3 days ago and they wont stop itching im going crazy.
I am, why? :/
I have the same symtoms (symptoms) as you. I tried the zinc, and have gotten temp relief. aloe vera gel also helps. Have you found the source of the problem yet?

Thanks,

Jim
I have also experienced the bumps around my ankles and lower legs. I've tried the zinc, it works as you say. I also tried aloe vera, which also gives good results. Woblesox, have you found the source of the problem?

Thanks,

Jim
Not really found the cause, but it seems likely to be a fungal or bacterial folliculitis.  For best results with zinc, wash the affected area at night and rub in the cream each night for a week.
Fleas-Fleas-Fleas

Sand fleas, ones getting in through vents where cats are elsewhere, etc.  Sand fleas like o jump up and bite you a lot.  They are exactly like most of the above described.  lasts a few weeks.  I would like to find cure myself, besides time and not itching.

Poor animals!  Imagine what they feel like.
Hey guys, i wanted to share my experience with these symptoms because it may be the answer to some of your problems as well. I started getting small red bumps that were very itchy on my legs, stomach and arms. I knew it wasn't fleas because i had experienced that before and at first i thought it might be scabies but after a few days the bumps went away and so i knew it couldn't be that either since scabies doesn't clear up on its own. i started thinking it seemed like it could be some kind of reaction to something i was eating so i thought back to everything i had eaten the week before that i didn't normally eat. the only thing i had that i normally didn't was frosted mini wheats cereal so i looked at the ingredients and found something called BHT. when i did some research on this i found that it is an preservative used in many cosmetics and foods and is thought to be dangerous to consume in large doses. in fact it is apparently banned in most countries other than the US because it is known to cause cancer. to test my theory i tried eating some more of the frosted mini wheats and sure enough i started getting the bumps again. now i read all of the labels on my food to make sure it doesn't contain BHT. even if i chew a few pieces of gum (most of which contain BHT) i will get a few itchy bumps shorty after but if i am sure to eliminate BHT from my diet completely i don't experience them at all. the only thing that confuses me is that i used to eat foods with this preservative all the time with no problems but from the research i did i think maybe it was building up in my body and now i get a reaction every time i eat it. i know this may not be the problem for everyone but maybe you should try eliminating it from you food for a while and see what happens. two other preservatives to avoid are BHA and TBHQ as they seem to give me a similar problem. even if these don't affect you it is worth researching and possibly avoiding since it seems wrong that it would even be in food in the first place. hopefully this helps :)
If any one here notices symptoms within a few days of being exposed to cold of unusual intensity or duration I believe you may have some form of chilblains. for the past few years I have had to live outside and every winter when my feet get cold and stay cold for long periods they begin to itch intensely. chilblains usual affect toes and fingers and the smaller extremities because these get gold easier and can be subject to diminished circulation. In my case the worst symptoms are in my heals because my toes are towards the fire and keep warmer but my heals never seem to be warm enough... especially my right heal. So it always start to itch first.
This year though I got my knees wet and they stayed cold for way too ling.Sure enough its been about a 3 days since that and the red splotchy bumps with painful itching started up. I have not changed cloths for a long time and had not looked at the itchy knees until today and sure enough it looks like chilblains... But the odd thing is I had that word in the front of my mind all nite and this morning. As if some one was helping me find an answer. Maybe my mom... maybe God?

This year I may finally have found a diagnosis and that is a very good feeling. I can try thr things that help others with chilblains. I am going to try to keep those heals warm and all of me warmer.
here is a description:
======================
Chilblains also known as chilblain,
======================
Chilblains also known as chilblain, pernio and perniosis are small, itchy swellings on the skin, which are not painful at first, but can become painful - they are acral ulcers; ulcers affecting the extremities. They are a localized form of vasculitis that occur when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold. Exposure to the cold can damage tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the skin, resulting in redness, blisters, itching and inflammation. The itching, swelling and blistering red patches may occur on the toes, fingers, ears and nose.
======================

There are some links here at medhelp.org about chilblains
Chilblains - Search - MedHelp
http://www.medhelp.org/search?utf8=%26%23x2713%3B&query=Chilblains&camp=top_nav_search
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/chilblains/show/1143134
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Foot-Care-Podiatry/Reccurring-chilblains/show/731642
I have little red bumps on my left leg/ankle that have been coming and going for years.  They only itch sometimes, but they look so ugly, the bumps near my ankle are the reddest and most visible.  As you go up my leg they start to disappear but I can still feel slight bumps where they are.  Idk, it's really weird and I have no idea what is causing them.  I just know when I used to live in the south and was tanner I never had this much of a problem with the bumps on my skin.
Mine also started after a spider bite--took antibiotics for the bite.  Also at about same time I had been staining my deck and thought I got into poison sumac - but that wasn't it --- have had this for over 3 years now and like the others here, it itches more at night.  Also started a new job about 3 years ago too and am around a lot of elderly and some from homeless shelters - treated for scabies just in case - but that didn't help (should have known since the dr. told me that it didn't look anything like scabies.  Have been to 4 doctors with 4 opinions and no solutions
PLEASE HELP!!! I live in the UK and am currently working out in Abu Dhabi for 6 weeks, as of last week I noticed some little red dots on the back of my leg, just thinking nothing more of it as it was a fly bite, a few days later there were more and were becoming itchy, (and as most people have said- more in the night time) I thought I was just having a reaction with something in the local air and in the sand, so I went to the local chemists and got some FENISTIL cream (for the local treatment of itching in skin diseases,insect bites,) & also some (CLARITINE loactadine tablets) hoping this would sort it out! its now been a few days since I have started with this, BUT it still seems to be spreading and not going down...? with being away from home and not due back till March 13th, IM AT MY WHITESEND!!! please could anyone suggest anything I could buy from the Chemist which would help... please & thank you, R
I've struggled with all of the symptoms everyone has written about and nothing worked since 2002.  Last night I tried the hair dryer and although the heat was difficult at first to handle, it's true that when done my lower legs went numb.  I put alcohol on my legs, then Neutrogena which has softened the dry skin within 3 days.  Tonight I felt an itch starting, used the hair dryer, this time moving it rapidly over my legs so that it was less painful and again numb.  I just cleaned the skin with alcohol and moisturized with Neutrogena.  For the last 6 months approximately, last night was the first night I didn't wake clawing at my legs.  I'm optimistic tonight will be the same!  Thank You bud47
Did you ever find a cause? The same thing happened to me and my father, only his was on his chest and mine was on both ankles and calves.  But then a few months later, he had a life threatening blood clot in his chest and I had one at the exact same time... Behind my knee.
If it is a ring worn it will resemble an almost perfect ring. At time it will itch and when scratched will rise even more.
-Not at all a small red spot
It's been nice to read all these comments, but a bit confusing too.  Seems like we are all over the map, but there are a core of folks who describe exactly what I have going on with no reason as to why.  My "rash" started on my achilles tendons and then surrounded my ankles with the most agonizing itch, flariing up mainly at night from 10PM to 2AM.  Then the little red bumps spread up my leg and a little around my lower back.  Tried everything.  Went to two docs.  Last dermo gave me advanced benadryl and some steroid cream.  Didn't touch it.  Actually benadryl makes it worse.  Ice water works the best for my feet.  Switched to an alkaline-based diet and after a week things seemed to get better.  Freaky thing is, it all came back suddenly.  Still on the crappy diet.  Back to searching the Internet and found this thread.  I wish I knew the cause so I could change something, and I wish I knew a cure.  Pretty healthy overall and staying  on the straight and narrow ... Just sucking air like everyone else, going to work and relaxing on the weekends.  ... then all of sudden, bam!  Most horrible itch around my ankles for an unknown reason.  Live north of Seattle.  Some freaky new NW pollen??  Seems like I'm screwed...  Maybe it's my attitude ... does a cynical attitude cause itchy bumps around your ankles?  
please consider the possibility that you have accumulated years of damage to skin that is related to low temperature exposure. I sit at a computer for hours and I live in a steal shed with only a heat lamp for heat most of the time. I get the itching now quite readily after only a few hours of cold, or rather cool exposure. see chill blaines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilblains
scabies get rid of the couch clean house vacume all carpet and throw out vacume bag wrap it in a plastic bag tape up good and put outside wash ALL bedding and clothes in HOT water use borax if you can get it. Dogs don't get scabies they get mange sarcopagus mange people get sarcopagus scabies (how ever it is spelled) you get the point if you dont do the above things you will continue to have these little buggers in your life the key is clean clean shower every night before you go to bed and maybe you will get rid of them most likely you will just keep them in check but soon as it gets war, temps outside and or you fall back to your old ways of not cleaning cleaning showering evwry time before you go toi bed the little bastards will be back stronger than the last time you had battled with them it is never ending so get used to it
You just described, to a T, what I have going on.  Did you ever get an answer?
It is fleas , you have fleas I am 100% sure
Fleas
I know, basically I went for a 40 min walk around the block well I felt something hurting(NOT ITCHING!) So I stopped half way and token my boots off to check what the hurting was (underneath my foot) and on my left foot I saw two red flat big dots, so I looked at my other foot and I saw nothing! So I looked at the side(end) and I saw one little red dot on each foot(they were in the same place as each other, just on a different foot) any help?
I have been getting 3 - 7 small, barely raised, red, extremely itchy "spots" on my feet/ankles, more so on the R at this time.  My 12 yr old twin boyz have also been getting a few of them recently, one wears socks to bed, the other doesn't.  I have no clue where they came from, see no bugs in or on our bed, they itch on and off for a few days then go away... then come back!!  I have no pets, I live on the ground floor of an apartment.  My boyfriend of 7 months does not have a single bite/spot. Someone has to know what these are!!!!!  
If you have between the webs of the fingers, it IS Scabies, almost certainly.
Could be as simple as fleas in the conditions you describe.
I was having the same problem...I had little red dots look just like insect bites...I really believe they were bed bug bites. I itch so bad it was driving me crazy!! I needed help...went and got some hydo cream..what a joke!! don't waste your money...I could not afford an emergency room bill.

So I went to walgreens an ask the Pharmacy to help they told me to get some Benadryl...I went home and took that it did not help so I went to another Pharmacy...and he told me to get some Benadryl Gel...and he told me to take a oatmeal bath. hmm..

LISTEN CLOSELY:

I PURCHASE SOME STUDIO (frangance free) NATURAL OATMEAL BATH TREATMENT from walgreens...for dry , irritated skin. I ran a bath water as hot as I could stand it...added the oatmeal bath...it was so hot...I put my feet into the water up to my ankles....OMG!!!! OMG!! I can't explain the feeling...it felt to good to my itchy feet it was better than sex. I was yelling it felt so good and it was such a relief so I added the other feet...ooooohhhhh it felt so good...so good and the itching stop!!! it was over just that fast...I rub my legs and feet in that water I did not get my whole body just my legs and ankles and feet. It was over....do this and it will stop itchy for good.  I had to come back and share.  Good Lucky I am healed!!
I have had watery blisters pop up on my feet and ankles from time to time, they're extremely itchy, feels like I was attacked by an army of fleas... I have come to believe the blisters are linked to an ALLERGY TO MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE. It happens consistently when I've eaten Chinese or Japanese food with added MSG, and within a half hour I'm scratching like mad. The only antidote I've found is soaking a cotton ball in HYDROGEN PEROXIDE and applying it to the blisters for awhile. Settles down the itching, and the blisters go away much more quickly. Hope that helps anyone who has suffered with the crazy itching like I have!!! Aloha from Hawaii.
Put a thin coat of monostate cream on it for the itch it works great.I have to use it on back of my legs because it itches so bad,only thing that works,good luck
Please be careful with clothes, shoes and linens that are MADE IN CHINA,They add a chemical to their cheap material that is causing a bad reaction on human skin and can turn into severe skin cancer.Do you own research on that.
I read all the comments but. It is more then this... Let me describe it better .. All of a sudden my side started to burn, itch.   ,, hurt. Not dry. Not diabetic nerves, dr say ,, you see the itch, burning, hurting,  and under  the skin you could feel the bump.. This could go on for weeks, then lines and noticeable bumps, and clothing bother me on my skins.. But the pain, itching. And the bumps were there with the red lines....when dr see this they don't know why.... This time it was on the side and the same thing happen on the ankle ...  It never appear in the samelaces , it could take place from  maybe a year , 3 month , 6month. Never know when it will happen .. Yes they came out and I am uncomfort,,, tried benadrial  and cream  Cutrell for dry skin.. Confuse
I have been to every doctor and I have the same thing! The itching is very bad and I bleed from the itching! I have tried everything. Now I am not using any soap when I wash in the shower, to see if it is soap scum collecting at bottom of legs as the cause.
I've seen mention of the red spots and bumps happening when it's cold.  Mine come only on my feet and ankles after the heat of summer has begun, and the reason could be from the deteriorated skin on them from the effects of high blood sugar, mostly many years ago, and other wear and tear that those lower extremities have endured, like too hot showers and standing up too long.  I haven't ruled out jiggers or fleas also being involved as instigators.