Itchy, red bumps on legs/ankles
About a week and a half ago, I noticed the bottom half of my calves were covered in small red spots(they were barely bumped up, if at all). Then, last Sunday I woke up with incredibly itchy bumps(so bad that it's actually woken me up at night) on both of my ankles, and at this time the other spots were gone. Now, I still have the itchy bumps(which don't seem to have gotten any better) and the small red spots on my legs have returned.

I've pretty much ruled out allergies, since I haven't been in contact with anything different than normal. Same with bug bites, especially since they don't appear to look like a bite at all. I'm completely puzzled...any help?

Pics: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/xostarshinexo/legsores.jpg
Day before yesterday I also broke out in bumps on my feet and now two days later they are spreading to upper thighs to belly and now I woke this morning there is a new on on my shoulder. I been reading all the post and it seems the doctors are not hitting this straight on. I have put alcohol  on and calamine lotion on and washed everything I have come I contact with. My mate is a big outdoor person I think it is something he has brought into the house and I think it is seasonal . Sandmite or chiggers or some other insect that has a  seasonal  outing to migrate or to breed in the grass and everywhere. Everyone has had success in different methods of relieving the itch my thought is to do trial and error. Keep washing everything and dry in dryer or get a indoor bug spray that is non toxic to humans and animals and spray on floors and carpets and take clothes right off from outing outside and put in washing machine or laundry hamper that has a disposable bag to throw away after you get a load to wash. The more you walk around with clothes you just walked in outside the more you are spreading into the house. I think cats and dogs can bring the mites into the home if the are let out from time to time during the day. So it is going to be a constant battle till the mites go into hibernation. Try looking thur your dryer lint for signs of critters if you find something take to your local outside person like a Earl May Store and ask who you can get ahold of to find out what your dealing with . Good luck all. When you look at your dryer lint look with tweezers and magnifying glass.
I have had like a sick feeling. And I woke up with bruises all over my arms and legs and I got sick and I thought I had the flu but then the next day I felt Better but that night I. started to brake out. with these little red. bumps that are crazy itchy I have been getting them for about 2 weeks now I thought I had cancer then thought I had a Bacterial infection while I still kept getting them itchy as hell I just moved into this house about two months ago and the carpets stunk like cat **** soon bad so I vacuumed and steam washed the carpets and washed all the linen in the house bombed every room and everything seemed fine for about 2 days I felt great I thought it was gone til last night I woke up with itching and tons more iTunes bumps so I looked under the light and in the bumps was like a piece of hair is what it looked like so I pulled it and looked really close I can accually see these tiny black and grey bugs coming out of them its discusting when you scratch them watch really close under light you'll see them coming and going in and out of your skin ewes worst thing ever there all over your house there on the floor they look like bird feathers and strings of hair with curl I thought they where like elastic on my pants and clothes like they where worn they look like hairy egg like **** there's grey ones that look like lint and black ones that look like thin worm's its the worst I gotta get rid of them there building lines to each bump like tunnels I'm horrified I don't know what to do! I wish I never moved here!
Go to friends hospital they cured my sister
I am at a lakehouse and I to have red bumps all over my body and there really close together and it like mosquito bites and they are mostly on my calves but there's some on my arms I have no idea what to do they itch so badly and mostly thee is one spot on my right calve that is covered more so than the rest of my body and it has like 100 red some bigger and some smaller bumps!
I have been researching and comparing myself to my fiance which doesnt have this issue and we do everything together.  I have looked at 25 different causes to something similar to this condition and nothing that is an exact match yet.  
Sand Jiggers or chiggers seem to be the closest match so far.  It must be some micro-organism that is in the same family or close to chiggers because it starts at the ankles and works its way up.  It has to be something living in the grasses.  My only thought that sticks in the back of my mind is how come there isn't many stink bugs anymore.  Was something released by our govt that is causing this reaction to certian people like us?
for all known causes that i know of, sand jiggers,chiggers,hives are the only things that come close to describing this new condition.  If its not one of these 3 it is must be treated as unknown.  It is important to take care and make sure no infections sets in one of your sores.  If so consult your doctors asap.  I am like most of you in the fact that I dont have much money and cannot afford testing so I am experimenting in the hope to find fixes and or reliefs.

Funny you say you have autoimmune issues. My sister has Lupus and she told me about a sudden appearance of the same exact thing you described. Her derm. doc doesn't know what they are, her regular doc doesn't know what they are. I am not sure if she ever asked her Rheumatologist.  Well lately I have been feeling like my immune system has been compromised. and today all of a sudden while I was warming up to work out little red, itchy bumps popped out randomly on my feet, ankles and calves.  My sister told me her doc called them "inside out Mosquito bites" because the look and feel like one but they come from the inside. I bet if you and I researched more others with Autoimmune related illnesses will say they experienced the same thing. I would think a rheumatologist would know but sometime patience doesn’t report these kinds of symptoms to that doc thinking it’s a derma logical issue.  Sorry I can help but I can confirm and see a possible connection.  
how would being diabetic effect it? I got bumps just like these decriptions 3 days ago and they wont stop itching im going crazy.
I am, why? :/
I have the same symtoms as you. I tried the zinc, and have gotten temp relief. aloe vera gel also helps. Have you found the source of the problem yet?

Thanks,

Jim
I have also experienced the bumps around my ankles and lower legs. I've tried the zinc, it works as you say. I also tried aloe vera, which also gives good results. Woblesox, have you found the source of the problem?

Thanks,

Jim
Not really found the cause, but it seems likely to be a fungal or bacterial folliculitis.  For best results with zinc, wash the affected area at night and rub in the cream each night for a week.
Fleas-Fleas-Fleas

Sand fleas, ones getting in through vents where cats are elsewhere, etc.  Sand fleas like o jump up and bite you a lot.  They are exactly like most of the above described.  lasts a few weeks.  I would like to find cure myself, besides time and not itching.

Poor animals!  Imagine what they feel like.
Hey guys, i wanted to share my experience with these symptoms because it may be the answer to some of your problems as well. I started getting small red bumps that were very itchy on my legs, stomach and arms. I knew it wasn't fleas because i had experienced that before and at first i thought it might be scabies but after a few days the bumps went away and so i knew it couldn't be that either since scabies doesn't clear up on its own. i started thinking it seemed like it could be some kind of reaction to something i was eating so i thought back to everything i had eaten the week before that i didn't normally eat. the only thing i had that i normally didn't was frosted mini wheats cereal so i looked at the ingredients and found something called BHT. when i did some research on this i found that it is an preservative used in many cosmetics and foods and is thought to be dangerous to consume in large doses. in fact it is apparently banned in most countries other than the US because it is known to cause cancer. to test my theory i tried eating some more of the frosted mini wheats and sure enough i started getting the bumps again. now i read all of the labels on my food to make sure it doesn't contain BHT. even if i chew a few pieces of gum (most of which contain BHT) i will get a few itchy bumps shorty after but if i am sure to eliminate BHT from my diet completely i don't experience them at all. the only thing that confuses me is that i used to eat foods with this preservative all the time with no problems but from the research i did i think maybe it was building up in my body and now i get a reaction every time i eat it. i know this may not be the problem for everyone but maybe you should try eliminating it from you food for a while and see what happens. two other preservatives to avoid are BHA and TBHQ as they seem to give me a similar problem. even if these don't affect you it is worth researching and possibly avoiding since it seems wrong that it would even be in food in the first place. hopefully this helps :)
If any one here notices symptoms within a few days of being exposed to cold of unusual intensity or duration I believe you may have some form of chilblains. for the past few years I have had to live outside and every winter when my feet get cold and stay cold for long periods they begin to itch intensely. chilblains usual affect toes and fingers and the smaller extremities because these get gold easier and can be subject to diminished circulation. In my case the worst symptoms are in my heals because my toes are towards the fire and keep warmer but my heals never seem to be warm enough... especially my right heal. So it always start to itch first.
This year though I got my knees wet and they stayed cold for way too ling.Sure enough its been about a 3 days since that and the red splotchy bumps with painful itching started up. I have not changed cloths for a long time and had not looked at the itchy knees until today and sure enough it looks like chilblains... But the odd thing is I had that word in the front of my mind all nite and this morning. As if some one was helping me find an answer. Maybe my mom... maybe God?

This year I may finally have found a diagnosis and that is a very good feeling. I can try thr things that help others with chilblains. I am going to try to keep those heals warm and all of me warmer.
here is a description:
======================
Chilblains also known as chilblain,
======================
Chilblains also known as chilblain, pernio and perniosis are small, itchy swellings on the skin, which are not painful at first, but can become painful - they are acral ulcers; ulcers affecting the extremities. They are a localized form of vasculitis that occur when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold. Exposure to the cold can damage tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the skin, resulting in redness, blisters, itching and inflammation. The itching, swelling and blistering red patches may occur on the toes, fingers, ears and nose.
======================

There are some links here at medhelp.org about chilblains
Chilblains - Search - MedHelp
http://www.medhelp.org/search?utf8=%26%23x2713%3B&query=Chilblains&camp=top_nav_search
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/chilblains/show/1143134
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Foot-Care-Podiatry/Reccurring-chilblains/show/731642
I have little red bumps on my left leg/ankle that have been coming and going for years.  They only itch sometimes, but they look so ugly, the bumps near my ankle are the reddest and most visible.  As you go up my leg they start to disappear but I can still feel slight bumps where they are.  Idk, it's really weird and I have no idea what is causing them.  I just know when I used to live in the south and was tanner I never had this much of a problem with the bumps on my skin.
Mine also started after a spider bite--took antibiotics for the bite.  Also at about same time I had been staining my deck and thought I got into poison sumac - but that wasn't it --- have had this for over 3 years now and like the others here, it itches more at night.  Also started a new job about 3 years ago too and am around a lot of elderly and some from homeless shelters - treated for scabies just in case - but that didn't help (should have known since the dr. told me that it didn't look anything like scabies.  Have been to 4 doctors with 4 opinions and no solutions
PLEASE HELP!!! I live in the UK and am currently working out in Abu Dhabi for 6 weeks, as of last week I noticed some little red dots on the back of my leg, just thinking nothing more of it as it was a fly bite, a few days later there were more and were becoming itchy, (and as most people have said- more in the night time) I thought I was just having a reaction with something in the local air and in the sand, so I went to the local chemists and got some FENISTIL cream (for the local treatment of itching in skin diseases,insect bites,) & also some (CLARITINE loactadine tablets) hoping this would sort it out! its now been a few days since I have started with this, BUT it still seems to be spreading and not going down...? with being away from home and not due back till March 13th, IM AT MY WHITESEND!!! please could anyone suggest anything I could buy from the Chemist which would help... please & thank you, R
I've struggled with all of the symptoms everyone has written about and nothing worked since 2002.  Last night I tried the hair dryer and although the heat was difficult at first to handle, it's true that when done my lower legs went numb.  I put alcohol on my legs, then Neutrogena which has softened the dry skin within 3 days.  Tonight I felt an itch starting, used the hair dryer, this time moving it rapidly over my legs so that it was less painful and again numb.  I just cleaned the skin with alcohol and moisturized with Neutrogena.  For the last 6 months approximately, last night was the first night I didn't wake clawing at my legs.  I'm optimistic tonight will be the same!  Thank You bud47
Did you ever find a cause? The same thing happened to me and my father, only his was on his chest and mine was on both ankles and calves.  But then a few months later, he had a life threatening blood clot in his chest and I had one at the exact same time... Behind my knee.
If it is a ring worn it will resemble an almost perfect ring. At time it will itch and when scratched will rise even more.
-Not at all a small red spot
It's been nice to read all these comments, but a bit confusing too.  Seems like we are all over the map, but there are a core of folks who describe exactly what I have going on with no reason as to why.  My "rash" started on my achilles tendons and then surrounded my ankles with the most agonizing itch, flariing up mainly at night from 10PM to 2AM.  Then the little red bumps spread up my leg and a little around my lower back.  Tried everything.  Went to two docs.  Last dermo gave me advanced benadryl and some steroid cream.  Didn't touch it.  Actually benadryl makes it worse.  Ice water works the best for my feet.  Switched to an alkaline-based diet and after a week things seemed to get better.  Freaky thing is, it all came back suddenly.  Still on the crappy diet.  Back to searching the Internet and found this thread.  I wish I knew the cause so I could change something, and I wish I knew a cure.  Pretty healthy overall and staying  on the straight and narrow ... Just sucking air like everyone else, going to work and relaxing on the weekends.  ... then all of sudden, bam!  Most horrible itch around my ankles for an unknown reason.  Live north of Seattle.  Some freaky new NW pollen??  Seems like I'm screwed...  Maybe it's my attitude ... does a cynical attitude cause itchy bumps around your ankles?  
please consider the possibility that you have accumulated years of damage to skin that is related to low temperature exposure. I sit at a computer for hours and I live in a steal shed with only a heat lamp for heat most of the time. I get the itching now quite readily after only a few hours of cold, or rather cool exposure. see chill blaines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilblains
scabies get rid of the couch clean house vacume all carpet and throw out vacume bag wrap it in a plastic bag tape up good and put outside wash ALL bedding and clothes in HOT water use borax if you can get it. Dogs don't get scabies they get mange sarcopagus mange people get sarcopagus scabies (how ever it is spelled) you get the point if you dont do the above things you will continue to have these little buggers in your life the key is clean clean shower every night before you go to bed and maybe you will get rid of them most likely you will just keep them in check but soon as it gets war, temps outside and or you fall back to your old ways of not cleaning cleaning showering evwry time before you go toi bed the little bastards will be back stronger than the last time you had battled with them it is never ending so get used to it
You just described, to a T, what I have going on.  Did you ever get an answer?
It is fleas , you have fleas I am 100% sure
Fleas
I know, basically I went for a 40 min walk around the block well I felt something hurting(NOT ITCHING!) So I stopped half way and token my boots off to check what the hurting was (underneath my foot) and on my left foot I saw two red flat big dots, so I looked at my other foot and I saw nothing! So I looked at the side(end) and I saw one little red dot on each foot(they were in the same place as each other, just on a different foot) any help?
I have been getting 3 - 7 small, barely raised, red, extremely itchy "spots" on my feet/ankles, more so on the R at this time.  My 12 yr old twin boyz have also been getting a few of them recently, one wears socks to bed, the other doesn't.  I have no clue where they came from, see no bugs in or on our bed, they itch on and off for a few days then go away... then come back!!  I have no pets, I live on the ground floor of an apartment.  My boyfriend of 7 months does not have a single bite/spot. Someone has to know what these are!!!!!  
If you have between the webs of the fingers, it IS Scabies, almost certainly.
Could be as simple as fleas in the conditions you describe.
I was having the same problem...I had little red dots look just like insect bites...I really believe they were bed bug bites. I itch so bad it was driving me crazy!! I needed help...went and got some hydo cream..what a joke!! don't waste your money...I could not afford an emergency room bill.

So I went to walgreens an ask the Pharmacy to help they told me to get some Benadryl...I went home and took that it did not help so I went to another Pharmacy...and he told me to get some Benadryl Gel...and he told me to take a oatmeal bath. hmm..

LISTEN CLOSELY:

I PURCHASE SOME STUDIO (frangance free) NATURAL OATMEAL BATH TREATMENT from walgreens...for dry , irritated skin. I ran a bath water as hot as I could stand it...added the oatmeal bath...it was so hot...I put my feet into the water up to my ankles....OMG!!!! OMG!! I can't explain the feeling...it felt to good to my itchy feet it was better than sex. I was yelling it felt so good and it was such a relief so I added the other feet...ooooohhhhh it felt so good...so good and the itching stop!!! it was over just that fast...I rub my legs and feet in that water I did not get my whole body just my legs and ankles and feet. It was over....do this and it will stop itchy for good.  I had to come back and share.  Good Lucky I am healed!!
I have had watery blisters pop up on my feet and ankles from time to time, they're extremely itchy, feels like I was attacked by an army of fleas... I have come to believe the blisters are linked to an ALLERGY TO MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE. It happens consistently when I've eaten Chinese or Japanese food with added MSG, and within a half hour I'm scratching like mad. The only antidote I've found is soaking a cotton ball in HYDROGEN PEROXIDE and applying it to the blisters for awhile. Settles down the itching, and the blisters go away much more quickly. Hope that helps anyone who has suffered with the crazy itching like I have!!! Aloha from Hawaii.
Put a thin coat of monostate cream on it for the itch it works great.I have to use it on back of my legs because it itches so bad,only thing that works,good luck
Please be careful with clothes, shoes and linens that are MADE IN CHINA,They add a chemical to their cheap material that is causing a bad reaction on human skin and can turn into severe skin cancer.Do you own research on that.
I read all the comments but. It is more then this... Let me describe it better .. All of a sudden my side started to burn, itch.   ,, hurt. Not dry. Not diabetic nerves, dr say ,, you see the itch, burning, hurting,  and under  the skin you could feel the bump.. This could go on for weeks, then lines and noticeable bumps, and clothing bother me on my skins.. But the pain, itching. And the bumps were there with the red lines....when dr see this they don't know why.... This time it was on the side and the same thing happen on the ankle ...  It never appear in the samelaces , it could take place from  maybe a year , 3 month , 6month. Never know when it will happen .. Yes they came out and I am uncomfort,,, tried benadrial  and cream  Cutrell for dry skin.. Confuse
I have been to every doctor and I have the same thing! The itching is very bad and I bleed from the itching! I have tried everything. Now I am not using any soap when I wash in the shower, to see if it is soap scum collecting at bottom of legs as the cause.
I've seen mention of the red spots and bumps happening when it's cold.  Mine come only on my feet and ankles after the heat of summer has begun, and the reason could be from the deteriorated skin on them from the effects of high blood sugar, mostly many years ago, and other wear and tear that those lower extremities have endured, like too hot showers and standing up too long.  I haven't ruled out jiggers or fleas also being involved as instigators.
Sounds like body lice. They're nocturnal and make you want to scratch your skin off!
My girl had these red mosquito looking bumps pop up out of nowhere.  They started around her foot on the side and heel and the ankle and calves all they way up to her butt.  Several on the shoulders and 1 on her side boob.  I've been laying out next to her at my pool and I haven't been bit but 1 mosquito here and there.... The itching was driving her insane. After reading some posts on here, we're convinced that it was her ZINC supplement pills !!!  She just started taking them because her legs were getting bruised easily... Just started a week ago and these bumps have started. Looked like a crazy mosquito bite the size of a nickel...a d it was so swollen... Each one.  She's going to stop taking the pills asap amd we'll report over the next week the results.   If not zinc, research any and ALL vitamins and supplements you're taking... Or if you've started eating something new, try cutting it out... Or any new herbal medicines etc.... I'd bet it's starting with something that you're putting in your mouth !!!
Nope! It's not chiggers, because I live at 7500 feet above sea level in Colorado and we don't get chiggers out here. Yet, I have the tiny blisters on my ankles and legs, and my around my wrist area.
I have the same exact thing and live in Colorado. Extremely itchy! Crazy! Only on ankles, sometimes the top of my foot, and wrists. I've tried Cortisone, prescription strength Cortisone, neosporine, pure aloe plant. The aloe gave some relief efforts but it's never gone away. It's been months for me! Having to make a dermatologist apt. Have you found any remedy?
Also tried soaking in Epson salts as well.
I can tell you right now that it is not chiggers. I have been suffering with this for years. And I don't have diabetes.
I've had these small red bump on the left side of my calf for 5 days. Doctor gave me Same meds Triamcinolone Acetonide  Cream USP, 0.1%. It helps with the itching right away but the I can see more new bumps not red yet moving up and over my knee. The only thing I can think of is the new multivitamin pack of pills I'm taking. Maybe I'm allergic to something in these pills. Will stop taking them to see if it helps.
I have three red bumps on my right leg by my heal in the back of my leg. They itch if I don't use anti itch cream but they are still itchy. They started small and got bigger and now they look like three rashes. Can anybody please tell me what those three bumps are??
I have the same original problem posted. Unbearable itching and red bumps around my ankles and top of feet ONLY. Itching is at it's worst in the middle of the night. It is the middle of winter now, and they are NOT fleas, chiggers, bed bugs or anything like that. I have not changed my diet (home grown, organic, natural foods only), or detergent or anything in my environment. It got so bad last night, I got up and soaked my feet and ankles in epsom salts, then applied tea tree oil, mixed with a carrier oil (Almond oil, in my case. DO NOT use tea tree oil straight on your skin). It seems to have worked somewhat. I put more tea tree oil on about 12 hours later, and it's still good. I'm going to continue the oil, and try the zinc. I'm sure it's a fungal infection. I hope this helps someone else!
Hi there, I feel, after hours of reading, I must chime in. Well, I also have small red bumps on both leg from my ankle up to just past my knees. Along with the bumps my leg are very dry and inflamed a bit. One other thing, the itching is "beyond the pale" I can not stop scratching
, it is driving mad. I have tried all the above: the only thing that seems to bring relief from the itching and some cosmetic remedy is "Neosporin". I believe most of us if not all have used or use Neosporin, this a a Bactracin Zinc -  Neomycin Sulfate cream that work to relieve but not cure the problem. I hope this is of help to some. Thanks and God willing we will all find relief!
Sounds like bed bugs
Are you lot for real? There heat spots ffs, me and my 3 yr old have both got them!
I know this sounds strange but I had the same itchy bumps and my daughter did as well. I used a carrier oil (almond) and rose hip seed oil. I applied it and after one minute saw tiny black dots..on the move (used a magnifying glass) I cleansed with rubbing alcohol and here is the strange part..clear packing tape. Just stick it on the affected area really well and then pull it off. I did that a few times and haven't had a problem since. Don't know if it will work for you but it can't hurt to try. Even without the oil just use rubbing alcohol and then tape. If anything peeling the tape off felt good on the itch!