Itchy Eyes and Falling Hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Eyes and Falling Hair

For almost a year I have had a strange shedding of hair and excessively itchy, scaley eyes.  This started when I lived in an area which was converting farmland into residential development.  A new housing development begin and there was a lot of fine dust in the air.  I never really noticed until one day I had a very stinging itching sensation in one direct spot on the right side of my hair.  When I reached to scratch it a large crusty scale that was the color of dried blood but had a had a clear, pointy core on its bottom came off.  It left a small hole or depression in that place on my scalp that felt perfectly round.  I scratched it vigorously and later that day when I combed my hair, the hair began to fall in that precise location.  Three more of these same scabs occurred with the same hair scene in different places on my scalp, but never in the same spot twice.  Now the right side of my hair has lost it sheen, thickness and is brittle and falls at the slightest disturbance.  Along with the first outbreak also came excessively itchy eyes which of course became infected.  Also there was a great deal of flaking in the scalp, much like dandruff, but worse.  Talking to doctors has not helped.  They don't seem to know what's going on.  The irritations are always there one way or the other and my hair is lopsided which doesn't seem to be consistent with alopecia.  As well, I am now getting these scaley divets on other parts of my body.  I have hairy legs and the same thing occurred:  suddenly an intense itch, I reached to scratch and a scaley plug came up.  When I examined it I saw a hair was in the center of the open patch of skin.  It itched intensely around the area just as my scalp experience had been.  Later the hair was gone as well.  I'm not sure what this is.  Could it have been chemicals in the dust from the area I used to live in?  Months and months later after many hair treatments to moisturize the scalp and create nutrient supply to the hair, it's about the same.  That original spot still itches in a dull but prominent fashion.  Most of the hair still falls from that exact spot, my eyes have healed from the infection, sight is a bit restored (vision was affected due to aggressive combative scratching and rubbing even during sleep), but the skin surrounding my eyes continues to be a battle having never truly healed.  I have excessive wrinkling from this aggrevation and took to using saline washes on the skin and in the eyes made from just table salt and warm water.  This was the only thing then and now that has relieved this situation.  The dermatologist told me I had a simple case of exzema (eczema) and to put petroleum jelly around my eyes and olive oil, both which ecsacerbated the irritation and intensified the itching.  It left me wondering what type of dermatologist she was because I had eczema over 40% of my body and petroleum jelly didn't heal it!  Can you please help me find out what is going on potentially so I can help the doctors I have to see to help me?

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how he is doing.

Regards.