Itchy Head only at One Spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Head only at One Spot

I usually feel very itchy on top of my head, only at one spot.  There is no dandruff; the head skin looks clean.  Sometimes it is so itchy that I scratch until bleeding, or I ask my husband to use his fingertips, applying a strong force to numb the area in order to stop itching.

What is the possible problem?

Thank you.
You seem to be having tinea capitis. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck. Treatment includes washing the scalp with shampoo with selenium sulfide (2.5%) or zinc pyrithione (1-2%) used 2-3 times weekly at home. Oral steroids, Griseofulvin and oral antifungals may also be required. I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.