Itchy Head only at One Spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Head only at One Spot

I usually feel very itchy on top of my head, only at one spot.  There is no dandruff; the head skin looks clean.  Sometimes it is so itchy that I scratch until bleeding, or I ask my husband to use his fingertips, applying a strong force to numb the area in order to stop itching.

What is the possible problem?

Thank you.
  • hey (1 replies):
    what is a good treatment for head fungus?
  • hair problem (1 replies):
    I have fungus in my hair, can i relax my hair with the f...[more]
  • is its curable (1 replies):
    Is Head Fungus Curable? how long does it take to cure?
  • Ringworm on scalp (1 replies):
    My son has ringworm on scalp. Any suggestions on how to...[more]
  • Itchy Scalp (1 replies):
    I constantly scratch the back of my head because it itch...[more]
You seem to be having tinea capitis. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck. Treatment includes washing the scalp with shampoo with selenium sulfide (2.5%) or zinc pyrithione (1-2%) used 2-3 times weekly at home. Oral steroids, Griseofulvin and oral antifungals may also be required. I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.