Itchy Painful Rash In Butt Crack and Crotch Area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi, For about a week now I have had a painful itchy raw like rash in my butt crack around my rectum and my crotch area I have been using Hydrocortizone 1% and Baby Powder One day its better the next its worse.For about 5 years now I have had a moisture problem that has made me use baby powder several times daily or I will get chaffed real bad I have had a rash a few times over the years from to much moisture but I have always gotten rid of it in 24-48 hours with the same stuff I have been treating this rash with but this one is not going away Its alot worse than the ones in the past its really itchy and little bumps and blisters all around my rectum/but crack area but it is also around my crotch area.I thought it was just a bad rash but since it is not going away could it be a fungus of some sort?Any suggestions would be helpful I am in a lot of pain.Thanks!!

This discussion is related to Wierd Rash??.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocream, Destin are very helpful (apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers