Itchy Pustules on Hands/Fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Pustules on Hands/Fingers

For about 2 years now I have suffered episodes where my hands, especially in between my fingers, break out in small, fluid-filled pustules. I have googled dyshidrotic eczema because I read some descriptions that sounded like my symptoms, but I typically only get 3-4 pustules at a time and they usually go away within 24 hours (most cases of eczema I read about were much more severe than that, and lasted much longer). They are terribly itchy and scratching at them seems to cause more pustules to erupt on my hands. They are difficult to pop and if I rupture them they take a long time to heal. I initially attributed the cause to be my rosehair tarantulas - they have irritating hairs on their backsides that can feel a bit like fiberglass if contact is made. I do usually get itchy hands after handling the spiders, even though I scrub thoroughly, but now the pustules are reoccurring more and more frequently, and I sometimes go weeks or months without ever touching the tarantulas. I also wondered if maybe some of the hairs were lodged in my skin and causing irritation, but the pustules never seem to be in the exact same spots. I get them on both hands but nowhere else on my body. I do not think this condition is contagious as my boyfriend has never experienced the same symptoms. It's starting to occur at least once weekly and it's driving me crazy! I don't have money to go to a dermatologist, but I'm scratching my hands raw in my sleep, and I feel like that might be my only option. Any suggestions??
The symptoms are indeed suggestive of pompholyx. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroids. But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If they prove unsuccessful, then Light treatment: UVA-1, PUVA, Grenz rays, Low Level Light Therapy using a Red + NIR (LED) combination can be used

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.