Itchy Rash After Quitting Cigarettes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Rash After Quitting Cigarettes

About 2 weeks after smoking cessassion, I started a rash on my legs.  My physician gave me a medrol dose pack which did nothing but further fray my nerves.  The rash spread to my chest and arms and is not going away!  I am starting to think that the nicotine was keeping my immune under control and now it is not.  Any suggestions?  (also my stomach is now very overactive)
Nicotine and immunity- Atleast I do not see the connection,atleast not a reason to get back to smoking which  am sure you have left behind, and see it as history.
thank you and i do not want to smoke again--would like to quit itching though--not enough to take that awful prednisone again!
Yes indeed.Take a course of Zyrtec,or cetizine 1 at bedtime.not not drive after taking tabs.
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be due to contact dermatitis,sweat dermatitis,eczema,fungal infection or dermatitis. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).Also use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Fungal infections have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

I'm thinking i have something similar... I just quit smoking after 5 years, i just turned 20 yr's old so i have plenty of time to heal...  However now it seems every bit of me is falling apart...  About a week or so ago i developed rashes on the tops of my feet around my ancles and running up my calves...  I applied aloa gel, and within a few days the majority of the little collection of dots were gone, still some remain though...

yesterday i woke up and had a rash across my face... from just under each eye, and across the nose...  Once again i'm using aloa in hopes it will help, along with attempting to keep the area as clean as possible...  I was actually wondering if this could be a side affect of quiting smoking... since the toxins in smoke obviously coat your skin with a layer of waterproof poisent basically, quiting will give it a chance to be expelled from your poors is what i'm thinking...  like i see some others on the internet are...  I honestly believe the two may be connected... if so it's probably only a short term thing...

hope your still clean... quiting smoking was a smart idea on my part... i quit once before for 2 years, and never should ahve started again...
I have had a similar experience. I quit smoking using the patch. I have a red papule rash that is itchy. think the rash may have started just prior to quitting though on my legs. Now it is on my chest, back, in my hair, everywhere. Dandruff also developed and I think unless I am just noticing my skin more now, that moles have elongated and I have skin tags. I too am wondering if it is immune system or allergy to patch?
i have also quit smoking after 15 years and developed a scary looking rash on calves, thighs, stomach, chest, arms. Zyrtec or other allergy pills didnt work. i was on low level cortison and that cleared up an other rash but not his one. now am back on cortison and have had a biopsy of the affected area. will get results soon. its been 8 weeks now! i can't help thinking there must be a link as well.  
I've also had rashes on my legs,esp the calves and some on my body esp the stomach area and few on the hands...I quit after smoking for 5 years..I didn;t tell the doctor I used to smoke..I was prescribed an antibiotic,an antiallergic tablet and a lotion to soothe the itching...
I quit smoking yesturday. I bought an ecig to help. I had the hardest time last night because I was itching ridiculously all over.  I woke with a red welts all over, probably from me scratching, and red swollen skin.   I thought it was the ecig..that maybe I was allergic to them, but after reading these post now I know its from the smoking.  Geez....
Wow quit smoking three days ago and noticed today that my testicles were very itchy.  When I got home I realized it was beneath my penis right where the top of my testees where it attaches to the shaft.  I then called myp girlfriend whose mouth was all over it yesterday she of course told me I better go get it checked.  Is it from not smoking anymore or my dirty *** girlfriend's mouth??? Someone help me.
I am so glad i found this forum, 3 days after quitting smoking i developed a horrible itchy rash that looked like flea bites that spread to my arms, fingers, legs, thighs, stomach and hips, I am currently pregnant thus the reason i quit smoking...i have had to deal with this for over 5 weeks and nothing my ob or the dermatologist is giving me helps. It is slowly going away on its own but my skin still itches at times, i changed everything from soap to fabric softner to see if it was an allergic reaction but nothing helped.
ive been smoke free for about 2 weeks now after 5 years. the rash that i had started on my inner thighs and has since spread EVERYWHERE<stomach, legs, chest, fingers). ive changed detergents thinking it might be te new kind i was trying but the rash seems to be getting worse. they are small pumps and not so much in clusters. i dont know what to do anymoe bt it is making me a very agrivated person. any ideas on what to do.
E-Cigs cause dangerous rashes. Been there done that. Stop the vaping.
Well, it seems the other way for me ! I am starting and quitting smoking for a while, can't quit totally since there is no suitable replacement yet !

If I start smoking my testicles itch and skin of it comes of as dried white tiny parts and I have been using steroid anti fungal cream, handwash & antibacterial alcoholic solution to treat my balls. They work but only if I quit smoking for at least 3-4 days. But the problem repeats after 1-2 weeks.

I am not sure about that even if it connected with smoking or not ! Any Idea what it might be ?

I so glad I have read this. I stopped smoking completely about a week or so ago and for the past three days I have had a rash on my face, neck and ears with a little swelling on my face. The rash is slightly red and feels like tiny pipples. I have been taking anti-allergy tablets but I have seen no improvement at all and the rash seems worst in the morning.

I have been to my G.p today who said it was "virual rash". - Im sure the term viral is used by doctors when they don't know whats wrong with you!!!;)

I visited my stop smoking adviser who informed me that she has heard of cases like ours where you devolep a rash from stopping smoking. She told me its my bodys way of dealing with lack of nicotine and also its the toxins coming out of your pores.

I have been told to use a small amount of hydrocortisone for a couple of days to see if it helps.

Wish me luck!!
Hi guys! Im so glad I found this forum. I gave up smoking 6 weeks ago and have been plagued with various rashes. Im on a nicotine patch but the rash has never been near where the rash is. It started on my inner thighs and lower stomach and then was on my upper legs. Now its on my shins and its unbelieveably itchy!! Ive tried everything, body creams, dermatological creams and even anti fungal creams. So do you think this is related to stopping smoking? Im on Sertraline (Zoloft) as well 100mg, but ive been on this 9 months no problems till I gave up smoking.
I recently quit smoking for 6 weeks.  Started back up and within one week broke out in a rash all over  Nothing is working to clear it besides Prednizone and creams.  Still not clear.  Still researching, but I believe there is definitely a link.  Will keep you posted.