Itchy Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Rash

I have an itchy blotchy rash on my back, with several raised bumps (there are no blisters/heads to them). The whole red area is about the size of the palm of my hand, excluding my fingers.

It started a couple months ago as a couple bumps where my bra strap is sewn into the back part of my bra (note:not a new bra). I really thought it was just the bra that was itching and tried several different bras (new & old). But the couple bumps spread into a big red blotchy area with many (not very well defined) raised bumps that all kinda blob together. I have also noticed that over the whole surrounding area on my back the pores seem extra large/open?

I am not on any medications. I was breastfeeding but have 100% weened now. I was wearing a bra 24/7 when this began (b/c of the nursing) but now sleep bra-less (hoping it would help, but it hasn't).I have tried otc hydrocortisone cream (no help, maybe a tiny bit less red? just maybe?).

I really just have no idea what's going on? Could this be an infection? or allergic? any ideas???

Sweating also seems to aggrivate the rash making it look/feel much worse.  No fun since it is August and crazy hot!
I added a pic in the photo section.
From the symptoms it can be contact dermatitis, sweat dermatitis or heat rash. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I went to my primary care doc a week ago about my rash he stared at it  and seemed completely baffled. In addition to the patch on my shoulder blade I now have little tiny raised bumps springing up all down both arm accross my shoulders and shoulder blades, and on my chest above my breasts and going up my neck. The bumps are not particulary red, they are really hard to see, easier just to feel the bumpyness on my skin, but they are pretty itchy. In addition to the patch on my back I now have a patch on my chest, above my breast, that is particularly bad.

The doc gave me a steriod cream and an antifungal, neither seem to be helping. The redness is decreased on my back, but it is still raised and itchy.

I will see the doc again on tues, but since he seemed so perplexed I was just searching for answers on my own.

I find the itchiness to be at its worst in the morning, when I get out the shower or if I get hot an sweaty during the day...

I also have been under a great deal of stress lately if that could be worsening the condition??? I am really grasping at straws now.
OK, so I am just snowballing wildly out of control now! I have another patch that has sprung up, the mirror image of the original patch (now on both shoulder blades.) I have the patch on my chest above my left breast and a new small patch forming in the small of my back.

Also as I previously mentioned singular little tiny bumps just everywhere on my arms, shoulders, back, chest and neck.

I am so baffled that I could have this small area of rash for months with very little chance and then suddenly it has taken over my whole upper body?!?!? It is definately itchy, but not unbearably so, and mostly I look just fine, you realy have to look at the texture of mu skin more than the color, because only the few patches are actually red.

I am begining to seriously worry that I might give this to my kids or husband. So far I see no sign of any rash on any of them??? Ugggg...
added a pic of rash on my chest. it is so hard to capture the bumpy texture of my skin, and while it is reddish, it isn't a firery red rash. =/