Itchy Red Bumps, on back of hand

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy Red Bumps, on back of hand

I am 15 years old and have been getting itchy red bumps on the back of my hand, about every 4 months. It can be on just one hand, and somtimes it gets on both. Only one time it spread to my knees. They are very annoying and to be specific they are from my pointer finger knucle down to my wrist. To help with itchiness, I just use Gold Bond anti itch cream. The bumps stay on there for a few weeks. I used to think it had something to do with warm weather, because I started getting them in summer than I got it again when I went to Florida for winter. But now, they are back. In cold weather. Im pretty active, I do cheer, tumbling and track. So if anyone has ANY clue what this could be it would help!

There are many possibilities for your symptoms.It can be due to cold weather conditions,contact dermatitis with some cosmetics,soaps,laundry detergents,lotions and other washing detergents, exfoliative keratolysis or dyshidrotic eczema.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).It can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Skin biopsy may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any other queries.

thanks, luckily it has gone away over the past few days, still itches a little bit, but I will try your suggestions when it comes back.
hi Shelby, im just getting the same itchy bumps and i'll let you know how it progress's..thank you :)