Itchy Scalp, Small Red Spots, Hair Thinning

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I've noticed that my scalp has been rather itchy lately, and also that my hair seems to be thinning a bit (23 Male). I'm not sure if the hair loss has been gradual, but I haven't really noticed it up until now and it's mainly in the front of my scalp (though not affecting my widow's peak, that I can tell). The hairline isn't receding, to clarify, only my hair looks less dense on the both sides of the front of my scalp. I examined my scalp today and it looks like there is slight redness in places and rarely I see very small red spots, no more than a millimeter in size; I don't think they are bumpy, just a small red dot on the surface of the scalp.

I have recently switched shampoos/conditioners/hair gels (a few weeks ago), so I will definitely be reverting back to my old ones, but I'm wondering if the hair loss can be associated with (or amplified by) an allergic reaction to hair products, and if so is it reversible? Also, if the hair loss is possibly occurring regardless, what is recommended to restore/maintain hair?

It may be very difficult to assess your problem without clinical examination. There are many conditions that can result in localized hair loss in adults such as allergy, severe stress, iron deficiency, hypothyroidism , alopecia areata, scarring alopecia, infections like ringworm, folliculitis, piedra, seborrheic dermatitis and folliculitis.

If it is allergic, then the condition should resolve sometime after you switch to your old hair products.

Seborrheic dermatitis presents as dry skin on the scalp, which flakes off (dandruff). It can be treated effectively by using an anti-dandruff dandruff shampoo containing ketoconazole or salicylic acid or selenium sulfide. Folliculitis may cause hair loss and is caused by a virus, fungus, or yeast. Alopecia areata is a genetic condition which causes sudden round patches on the scalp along with inflammation of the roots of the hair follicles. However, the hair follicles are not destroyed and hair growth continues after inflammation subsides. Folliculitis may cause hair loss and is caused by a virus, fungus, or yeast.

You should consult a dermatologist for a complete evaluation and proper diagnosis. Sometimes a skin biopsy is conducted to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment options include corticosteroids, antifungal medication, isotretinoin, antibiotics like bacitracin and neomycin or a combination therapy using minoxidil and anthralin.

Do write in if you need more information.
Take care