Itchy Scalp, Swollen lymphnodes behind ears
I have a quarter sized red inflamation on my scalp right at the top of my forehead. It itches and stings a little. But i've always had really bad dry scalp and dandruff. Also I noticed that my lymph nodes. (the ones behind my ears and at my jaw line are swollen. Its like raised bruises. I got some dandruff shampoo to hope that it will help but some people are telling me I should go to the doctor. I'd like to avoid paying the fees if at all possible. Is this something that will go away with after use of the shampoo?
Swollen lymph nodes usually mean your body is fighting off a virus or infection. I'm not sure what the dry scalp would have to do w it though. However, I would consult a doctor though just to make sure.
From the symptoms seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff and tinea capitis need to be ruled out. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck.  Because of the scratching that is involved with the condition it can become secondarily infected with a bacterial infection. Diagnosis is by clinical examination of the scalp as well as a skin lesion biopsy with microscopic examination. Anti-fungal medications, taken by mouth, are used to treat the infection.

It is important to keep the area clean. A medicated shampoo, such as one containing selenium sulfide like selsen may also help. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.