Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy Scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itchy Scrotum

I am a healthy, 32 yr old male non-smoker, social-drinker, fairly active, healthy eater.   No prior STDs or any risky behavior.

I have got itchy areas on my bilaterally and intermittently on my testicles for two years.   First I discovered this itch at night trying to sleep.  The condition presented with itching and rash (more from scratching than anything else) and no blisters or eruptions.   Though the skin is raised somewhat, and hard bumps.

I have tried going to a general doctor and informed him that I was afraid I had a fungal infection.   I also discovered that if I apply moisturizer it helps with the itch some what but not raised the bumps.   He advised me to stop using moisturizer and prescribed Clotrimazole and BetaMethasone Dipropionate cream (Rx only) cream to apply one morning and one night, Ketoconazole  200mg tabs  (21 days supply) and was also Ketoconazole 2% shampoo to be used every other day.

While on this regiment, everything seemed to be normal.  Thereafter,  if I had any episodes of itchiness I used Ketoconazole shampoo and  Clotrimazole and BetaMethasone Dipropionate seemed to control it.

Recently,  I have had episode of itching and tried the shampoo and discovered that it caused the area to feel
Eczema, not fungus.  Try over-the-counter hydrocortisone 1% twice a day.  Moisturize liberally.   Minimize friction.  Check with a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis and perhaps a somewhat stronger cortisone cream for intermittent use.  This condition is usually hereditary,  it is not an STD.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
For over-the-counter hydrocortisone 1% is it ok to use on scrotum since it is a steroid?

A related discussion, itch in sensitive area was started.
A related discussion, itchy scrotum darkened in pigmentation was started.