Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy all over

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itchy all over

Dear Doctor,

My husband began itching about a month ago.  I began about a week later and our daughter began about a week after that.  We have no fleas, although we do have pets (one dog and four cats).  But this has never been a problem for the past nine years.  We recently moved from city water to well water.  At first we thought that it was due to hard water.  But I am told by a nurse that water would not cause this severe itching.

The house we moved to is almost one hundred years old.  Don't know if there are any "bugs" that may be the cause of our itch.

There is no specific area.   It's all over from the chest, neck, back, stomach, legs, arms, fingers, toes, etc.  The skin is clear at the start of itch.  As we scratch uncontrobally, even in our sleep, a small spot appears, reddens with further scratching, dries out, bleeds once scratched open.  Ends up looking like a small infected area.  

We have tried all of the over the counter lotions. Hydrocortizone creams, anti itch creams, basic lotions.  Nothing helps.  

We welcome any suggestions.  Should I have the water tested?  Should I call the Dept. of Agriculture to see if there are any infestations in my rural area?  Please advise.

Sincerely,
Itchy
Juli

Juli:

The symptoms you describe and their timing both suggest scabies rather than an allergy, to water or anything else. I advise you to see a physician to get a prescription for all of you.  Scabies is easy to cure practically overnight.  You can be rid of that miserable nighttime itch in short order.

Scabies is caused by a mite, and has nothing to do with dirt or poor hygiene.

Best.

Dr. R
I HAVE A SIMILAR SYMPTOM. FIRST I HAVE A RED MARKS APPEAR NEAR MY FEET. THEY EVENTUALLY BEGIN TO ITCH. I ITCH THEY SCAB UP THEN GO AWAY. I THOUGHT THEY WERE FLEAS BUT NO ONE ELSE IN MY HOUSE IS AFFECTED. I USED SOME LOTION THAT WIPES OUT SCAVIES THAT DIDN'T HELP EITHER. MOST OF THE "BITES" ARE ON MY FEET OR NEAR THE ANKLES. THEY ITCH LIKE HELL. EVERY SO OFTEN THEY WILL APPEAR ON MY UPPPER LEG OR ARMS. NEVER HAD ONE ON MY CHEST OR BACK.
THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS. HOW COME NO ONE ELSE IN MY HOUSE IS RECEIVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS? I'M VERY CONCERNED. ARE THERE STD'S THAT HAVE THESE "BITES" LIKE HIV OR CRABS OR WHATEVER?

THANKS

JUSTIN
Just wanted to confirm what the doc said.  I had scabies and didn't know it, just itched all over--scratching even in my sleep.  Benadryl and even prescription antihistamines didn't even seem to help much.  At the second doctor visit my doctor figured out it was scabies.  With a prescription lotion, I finally got rid of that dreadful itch.  I treated my furniture and bed with RID spray too, and washed all the clothes and sheets in hot water..
Husband, son and myself have all been fighting sabies for months.Eurax cream did nothing, Elimte is helping but have all been treated a total of 5 times.  Husband and son improving, but although I treated again the day before yesterday I woke up with a new itchy spot this morning. Am at my wits end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dear Doctor,
          Help please,I have been suffering from hive outbreaks for a week. One doctor said I was having a reaction to my cats(I have had them for years with no problem) I notice now that I wake up with these awful things. I have treated my beds,couches and linens still no relief. Also I can sit on my bed or couches and nothing happens, only when I go to sleep. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Well, I thought I was alone. I really need help too. I have had these itching episodes that result in a hive that is slightly bleeding and eventually scabs. I am itchy all the time. Could this be scabies?
I have the itchies also. I am a diabetic and taking insulin along with other medicines. It feels like I am itching all the time. I thought it might be the medicine, but have only noticed the last few months of constant itching. I have no rash and antihistimine does very little to ease this suffering. Can you suggest something besides going to the doctor that I might try?
In th elast month I seem to have developed an allergy to water.  Every bath or shower results in unbearable itchy skin and large white welts and red patches.  I told my GP who seemed unconcerned and just said matter of factly that some people just develop and allergy to water.

I am finding it really distressing.  Can you suggest anything?
my daughter itches mostly  around her torso  during the night she  develops small sores that itch, some are small others are in large clusters.  The itching started about three weeks ago on her  scalp.  I check her throughly for a few days  to make sure it was not lice, I have washed her hair over and over with different  shampoos that are not medicated, now I have noticed small bumps on her scalp.   My scalp is now very ichy, and my husband says he is starting to feel his scalp is ichy.  Could this be scabies?  What is scabies?   What are the symptons and how does one get scabies?   Would appreciate any information.
A related discussion, itchy all over was started.
A related discussion, Itchy skin, no rash was started.
Okk well I'm 30 weeks  pregnant and I have been itching for months it seems like forever. My boyfriend has been itching to I have red bumps and if I continue scratching they bleed and scab up. My ob tolde it is scabies but I keep treating myself and boyfriend with permetherin cream and hydroxcide pulls and we are still itchy what is going on why are we still the same as before could it be anything else? I itch everywhere nonstop I can't stop please help me if its not scabies that we have what else could it be