Itchy arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy arms

I'm trying to find out why one or both of my arms suddenly start itching and turn bright red and hot. I've tried many topical anti-itch creams and ointments, but none of them seem to work. I've also tried washing my arms to make them stop itching and burning. I usually break down and start scratching them, which of course makes them worse. This can happen at any time of the day. For example, I woke up with them itching. Sometimes it's just one arm, or just the forearm. Other times it's both arms. What is causing this and what can/should I do to stop it?

Itchy skin on the arms and hands can be due to Eczema or contact dermatitis.

Are you having a history of allergy?Pls get allergy tests like skin ***** tests or blood tests like RAST done to find out if you are allergic to something.

You could consider such things as a staph or strep infection that frequently causes a rash or itchy skin as well. Or perhaps you have come in contact with a poison or have a bacterial or fungal infection. Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like psoriasis,dermatitis,lice,scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

Scratching provides only temporary relief and doesn't promote healing of the underlying problem, it is best to avoid scratching if at all possible. You can apply an anti-itch cream or corticosteroid cream to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Pls take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications. If an internal disease is found, whether it's kidney disease, iron deficiency or a thyroid problem, treating that disease often relieves the itch.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.

Avatar n tn
I just went to the doctor today about my one arm itching. Its mostly the lower part of my arm, there is no rash, just scars where i have to itch so hard my skin bleeds.  I have tried the anti itch creams, different soaps, lotions and alcohol, thought about using bleach next. The dr. couldn't figure it out, strangely enough, the nurse there has the same thing going on with her arm! What the heck!
Avatar n tn
It's funny that you mention that because I actually have an itchy arm aswell (the lower part of the arm) and this is the second day I've had it now.

I've also itched myself on the top of my chest and legs a few times. But 90% of the itching is on the lower parts of my arms and my chest area and legs have been fine for about 24 hours now.

Hmm strange. I was searching on google for this and notice that you only posted this 1 day ago.
Avatar n tn
I have been diagnosed with polymorphic light eruption and my first symptoms sounded like all of the ones I have read on your questions and answers.  If you are spending time in and "out" of the sun, this could be the problem.  See a dermitologist.
Avatar n tn
Have any of you received the flu shot?  If so, did the itching start after you received the flu shot?  Uncontrollable itching in my arms began after I received the flu shot.
i been iching on my arms for a long time and nothing helps them they ich 24/7  what can i do to stop them from iching to danm bad
I don't know how itchy arms happens but I found something that made the super itchiness in my arms stop.  A friend who's had a life-time of eczema told me about bleach baths. So I did as he advised, I took a cup of bleach (Clorox) and poured it in a bath tub of warm/hot water and got in it for 10 minutes.  The first time I did this ended all of the itching.  Four days later I did this bleach bath again because I thought I felt the itch returning and again it worked.  I've done three bleach baths so far, the last bath was a week ago, and the itch hasn't returned, and I suspect never will as long as I lotion up.  And be sure to lotion up after the baths, your skin will be dry.  How it works - the bleach kills bacteria and germs that cause the itching. And once you stop scratching, your skin will go back to normal like mine did.  My name is Julius Willis III and I approve of this message/method!  :)  Good luck.  Oh, and the lotion I use is CeraVe and sometimes Lubriderm.