Itchy blotchy rash on neck and upper chest during winter months

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Every winter, usually from Nov to March, I get a very itchy rash on my neck and upper chest.  The skin gets red and blotchy but isn't thickened and the rash goes away during the summer.  I use heavy moisturizers daily, which doesn't seem to help. I've tried covering up the area from the cold (I live in the northeast US) with turtlenecks, scarves, etc., with no change. Dermatologists have checked for scabies (no) and prescribed cortisone cream (didn't help much and thinned the skin a lot).  It drives me crazy with the itching and I find myself scratching at night while asleep, which just makes the redness worse.

Anybody else exerience the same thing?  Is this eczema?  Is there a cream that might help?  Would an anti-allergy med (benadryl, claritin) help?  I'm so tired of this annoying rash; I've had it every winter for 7 or 8 years now (ever since I started having children -- I wonder if that has something to do with it?).

Thanks for any insight you can give!
Barbara
Since the rash mostly comes in winters, so it can be eczema. Eczema is a skin disorder which is experienced as inflammation of the outermost layer of the skin. The causes are- allergy to soaps, detergents, dust, smoke, medications, sweat and some food. Eczema around eyes can be because of extreme changes in temperature and psychological changes in a person due to stress and anxiety. Boosting your immunity can help in faster recovery. Eat balanced diet, drink lot of water and apply plenty of moisturisers. Topical application of steroid ointment is available. Consult a Dermatologist for examining your eyes and for further advice on treatment and care to be taken.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.