Itchy bumps around knees, elbows

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy bumps around knees, elbows

For the past 2-3 weeks or so, I've had tiny bumps on my forearms (the outer, elbow side) and around my elbows as well as on my knees and shins. The bumps are very tiny, very close together, and not at all red. It's a kind of "chicken skin" appearance. It responds briefly to Benadryl, but the itching always comes back.
I don't have any food allergies that I'm aware of and nothing in my diet has changed, nor am I using any new soaps or detergents.
Any ideas what this might be?
One possibility is of lichen nitidus. It is characterized by 1-2 mm, discrete and uniform, shiny, flat-topped, pale flesh-colored or reddish-brown papules. Generally it is self limiting but severe cases may need glucocorticoids.

I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get it evaluated. Also then it has to be differentiated from folliculitis which may present with similar symptoms.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers