Itchy bumps around scrapes or cuts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy bumps around scrapes or cuts

Recently I have noticed that every time I get a scrape, cut, or scratch I get itchy, red bumps around the wound which start to appear when the cut or scrape is starting to heal. The bumps seems to fester a bit and break easily if scratched, sometimes releasing a small amount of clear liquid . They are extremely itchy and sort of resemble poison ivy but I am fairly confident it is not poison ivy. I have been noticing this trend for about 6 months.

I usually use Neosporin on the scrapes, but the use of Neosporin did not use to cause any sort of reaction when I was younger. I will usually cover wounds with a band-aid during the day, but then leave it uncovered overnight to help wounds air out.

On a possibly unrelated note- for the past  3 weeks or so I have noticed that my palms and the areas between some of my fingers will get really itchy from time to time. Never have any redness or hardly any bumps, just a lot of itching. Also I had some red, itchy bumps in my armpits recently, but that is beginning to clear up.

Can anyone help me solve this mystery, or has anyone experienced similar conditions?
I have also been experiencing the same problem for a year already though the infection went off for a few months, but I don't know what's really going on. Now it's back and it is so uncomfortable! What's the best medication for this. Somebody help us.
Do these bumps appear prior to treatment or after? If before, could be infection causing it or more likely sweat bumps.

This can be an allergy to the neosporin (cream vs. ointment), which I doubt, or to the bandage adhesive.

If it lasts a long time, the cut is most probably infected and you want to see a doctor who can prescribe antibiotics and/or a stronger ointment to be used.

Additionally, using hydrogen peroxide to clean the area (just pour over) helps. Keeping the are covered is best since sweat and anything else can aggravate the problem.

In any case make sure your Tetanus shots (TB Booster) are up to date.
If you're still wondering, it's probably folliculitis, an infection in the hair follicle caused by staph bacteria.
I had this the entire time I was growing up.  Even my doctor had no clue what it was.  Sometimes I would get a cut on my leg and end up with a rash up to my neck!  I was eventually diagnosed with ID reaction though I've seen pictures and I did not feel they were the same.  However the basic theory seems correct.  It is believed that it is due to an autoimmune issue that causes your body to have an allergic reaction to the break in your skin.

I now get rashes when I go in the sun...mainly in any scars and on my hands and forearms.  I'm pretty sure I also have a disorder called hydradenitis suppurativa due to a chronic issue with infected cysts, skin infections, and scarring.  I'm 34.
Did you ever figure out what was causing this?  I think I have the exact issue as you or similar.  Mine started about a year ago with a scrape on my foot, I actually thought that the bumps were caused by athletes foot.  Over this past summer I had two scrapes, one on my leg and the other on my hand, with in two days or so I noticed small  bumps on both sides of the scabs, they eventually raised a bit and almost looked like they were filling with a clear fluid.  Once again, I have a small pin sized scrape from a prong of my ring on my finger, this time the bumps are worse, they are surrounding the pin sized scrape but about the size of a dime.  It started with just a couple small bumps but now the whole area is raised and itchy. From what I have read, this could be an allergy to neosporin, or auto immune issue.