Itchy feet with tiny scabs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy feet with tiny scabs

Ever since I was a child, there are times when I get really itchy feet, especially the tops of the feet and the ankles and lower shins/calves.  Small scabs develop in these areas where the itching occurs (perhaps due to scratching), but eventually it all goes away (maybe a matter of days, weeks, even months).  I've never paid much attention to it, never done anything about it, I usually just try to ignore it until it goes away.  I am severely allergic to grass, and I've noticed this seems to happen during times of the year when I might walk through tall grass wearing shorts and sandals with no socks (of course).  My feet seem to itch the most anytime I am wearing my sandals, and I find myself compelled to take off my sandals and start scratching my feet, sometimes (embarassingly) in public.  It might seem obvious, but I just want to see if anyone has similar experience and can confirm that this is due to grass allergens getting into my sandals.  I guess my only fear would be that this is actually some sort of transmissible parasite.  I do sometimes find myself scratching rather violently in the middle of the night, in bed.  Occasionally these types of tiny scabs also form on my lower arms, especially when I wear short sleeves in the summer.  Even if this is just because of my grass allergy (I live in hot, green central Texas), does anyone know of a way to improve the situation?  I hate having all these scabs on my legs, and I could do without the itching as well.  It's pretty much exclusive to the areas I've described.  Can I afford to keep ignoring it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This sounds like a case of contact allergic dermatitis. This type of dermatitis is aggravated or triggered by contact with any known allergens. It may present with a well demarcated red rash which may be weepy and itchy. There may be vesicles or bumps with clear fluid inside. It may be itchy and the itch scratch cycle may develop excoriations and involve normal skin.

There is no single definite medical treatment for dermatitis .Corticosteroids and antihistamines may help alleviate the symptoms. Avoiding all known triggers is the best way to prevent flare ups.

Are you using any medications on the area?