Itchy head in "lice" pattern, but no lice... what to do?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I am going crazy with itchiness!

It's the worst on the back of my head, beginning where the hair is growing from my neck, and continuing up my scalp for about 10cm. It looks to be in roughly the same place that sufferers of head lice experience the worst itching, but I'm sure it isn't lice. There aren't any nits or anything even similar to them.

If I scratch this itchiest area, I get tiny dry white flakes no bigger than a millimeter wide at the very most. Usually it's more like coarse white powder. They aren't at all oily like dandruff. The top and sides of my head may itch every once in a while, but they don't have the powder. Very rarely, I get a small pimple or something like that in this area, but only ever one or two at a time, and they clear up quickly. I have long hair which I only wash every once in 5 days or so, always at night before going to bed. This condition seems to be the absolute itchiest on the second and third day after I wash my hair, then it calms down a little. Sometimes I don't want to wash it because I know how bad the itching will be... but I don't want to risk an infection, either.

I've had this for probably four years now, but we recently moved to another climate (hotter, drier) and I think it's getting worse. I have hypothyroidism, so I always thought it was the dry skin symptom... could it be something else? Are there any OTC products I could try? I'm about thiiiiis close to putting calamine lotion on my head!
From the symptoms this problem of dry itchy scalp can be due to dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium. But if your hair is colored, don't use products with selenium sulfide or sulfur.

If the symptoms persist, then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist and get fungal infections ruled out. Eat a healthy diet. You can also take vit B6 and vit A and E which are good for hair and skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

i have been having a similar problem for weeks now itchy rash on neck and head with no lice or nits im so itchy they bleed what should i do