Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

For the last four years I have had a problem with my legs itching.  When it started it was only an occasional problem, but it has developed into an everyday occurance.  When my legs itch it is usually my lower legs, but my upper legs will itch too.  There is never any sign of a rash or any kind of irritation on my skin - it just itches like crazy.  Sometimes it feels more like a "pins and needles" feeling, like when your hand or foot falls asleep.  It almost feels like every little hair on my legs are poking me.  I've tried switching detergents, soaps, not using fabric softener or bleach, I've used anti-itch lotions from my dermatologist, but nothing helps.  It gets so severe at times that it brings me to tears.  Sometimes it will get so bad it will wake me up in the middle of the night.  It can last only a few minutes or it can last days.  Usually it seems to be aggravated by something, the most common causes being nylons, water (taking a shower or swimming), humidity, and shaving.  But sometimes it doesn't seem to be caused by anything at all.  I have been to several doctors trying to solve this - and all I've been able to determine so far is that I am not having an allergic reaction to anything.  I will do anything to make this stop, it has been going on for so long now.  Not to mention that I'm getting married in a few months, and I would hate for my itchy legs to ruin my wedding day and my honeymoon!  I have already had two doctors tell me "I don't know what else you can do", so any suggestions on what this is or how I can treat it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Allergic reactions will not cause itching symmetrically on both legs.  Likewise, there are no skin ir internal diseases of which I am aware which cause symptoms of the type you describe.  Therefore, I don't think any tests are called for.

When people itch without a rash, in my experience stress is often a factor.  At times it's the itch itself which induces the stress--in other words, the more you itch, the more you scratch, and so on.  And the more you worry about whether you're going to itch, the more you will.

What I usually advise itchy people to use is a topical anesthetic, as often as needed (even every few minutes.)  This can help break the itch-scratch cycle.

Over-the-counter anesthetics include: Benadryl, Lanacane, Sarna, and pramoxine.

Prescription anti-itch products include Lidocaine and Zonalon.

I advise you to use one or more of these and use them regularly, until you stop itching.

And congratulations on your upcoming marriage.  (Talk about stress!)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have had the same exact problem for almost two years.  I know the doctor answered you back telling you that is most likely stress.  My doctor said the same thing to me also, but I really do not have a stressful life.  I have read that itching WITHOUT a rash maybe a sign of a serious internal disease.  I'm going to have my itching further checked out for any internal problems, you might want to consider doing this too.  There are many different things they can do to figure out what this is beside just looking at your skin.  Good luck.
I just wanted to write and tell you that I have the exact same problem also.  I have had this problem for two years.  It tends to occur violently only after I take showers, although my itching is present in a lesser amount on and off throughout the day.  I have done some searching on the internet and have found that I am not alone.  Other women have had this same problem.  No one has found a successful treatment for it yet, it seems like.  I know it's not stress, and, personally, I get very tired of doctors trying to pawn it off on that.  If anyone has any suggestions of how to dull the itch please let us know.  This is an extremely frustrating affliction.
Doesn't it seem so relaxing to hear that you're not the only one going through this problem.  Now if a doctor would just find a cure for this problem.  If you do hear anything/find anything out on our problem, please let me know.  Oh yeah, the shower thing (violent itching spells) happens to me too.  And the occassional itching throughout the day.  Go figure!!
I also have the same "itchy" problem.  It occurs under the following circumstances:  After showering, after swimming and on very humid days (if my legs sweat a little).  The itching is primarily the front part of my upper legs (thighs) with some itching on the back side of my upper arms.  I use Lubriderm on a daily basis to control the after shower itching...helps a little but still ithes wildly for about 30 minutes after the shower.  After swimming on hot humid days there is nothing I can do....makes me just crawl in my skin.  The itching is so bad and I get the "pins and needles" effect for about 30 minutes.  Sometimes it is so bad I have to rub my legs with a hair brush or something !!  There is not even a sigle hint of redness or skin discoloration which amazes me.  The funny thing is I can go in a hottub in the winter and it hardly even bothers me???

I have tried drinking water and have been to the doctor.  He had me try a topical steroid to be used in small amounts but that did not help much.  I am going back this week because I just can't take it anymore.  Other things I may try that I have been reading about are Sarna cream and lowering sugar input which I am going to try.  The worst part about this "syndrome" is when you try and explain the severity of it they look at you like you are crazy which really ticks me off.  

Are there any other suggestions Doctor? This is not a stress induced issue for me.  I also want to let people in this forum know that you are not alone.  I will be eternally greatful to anyone that can solve this issue since I have been living with it for 4 years now and just have to do something about it...anything!
Hi everyone thank God im not the only one. im 17yr. old and ive told my mom about my icthing and she told me it was all in my head so i said i was going to find out my self cause i hardly sleep when i do itch and i hate takin showers but i found takin a bath with rubbing alchohol in the tub helps a little.  Plus rubbing your self w/ warm petrleum jelly (vaseline) also helps.
I would watch out with the alcohol in the tub.  I used to get some relief with rubbing alcohol on my skin when I get itchy till my doctor said that makes the itching worse because rubbing alcohol can make your skin 10 times drier.  Would the alcohol not make your privates dry and itchy?
Well - have any of you considered it may merely be from shaving your legs then wearing tight pants or hose?

I find that I shave my legs more often in the warmer months, then if I wear hose - the "stubble" can get rubbed this way and that by my hose causing my legs to itch.

In warm weather, the hose would rub more vigorously because of your legs being warmer.

Just a thought! :)

~Kimberly
I am having the same symptoms.  I feel like I'm going crazy, and I can't stand this.  
I went to the emergency room a month ago because of the itching, and was told that it is an allergic reaction to a new detergent or soap., and the Dr. prescribed me Atarax, but it didn't help the itching.  I've stopped using any new products, and changed my detergent, soap, lotion, etc. back to what I have always used.  
Different from what you've said though, when I take a hot shower or bath it actually eases some of the itching.  I feel like I'm being bitten...by something that I can't see.  I have no rash, no sores, cuts, bumps or anything.  
It first started on my upper legs and bottom, around the inside of my thighs and the top of my thighs.  Now it is happening all over.  It has gone to all over my thighs, the underside of my forearms, the upperside of arms, lower legs, back, I feel it on the back of my neck now close to my hair line...it is all over.  
Like I said, this is making me crazy.  It started about 3-4 weeks before I went to the Dr. (about 2 + months ago), and still there is nothing on my skin to show that anything is wrong.  The only thing I think I can see are very small black dots (about the size of the tip of a straight pin), where ever I get the itch/bite.  I don't know if these dots are anything, or if I'm just hoping to see something so I will be able to find out what is happening.  

I read on another board where a lady has this same thing that I'm talking about, but she is the only other person I've heard talk about this before, until I found this board.  

From what I'm reading it seems like it's affecting women.  I'm  also wondering what part of the country you all who are experiencing this live in, thinking that maybe it is a geographical occurance.  That it may be something that people are coming in contact with in a certain area.  I live in Virginia, but like I said I don't know of Anyone else who is having this problem, until I read it on these BBoards.  

Please post if you know of anything, or find anything out about this itching/biting problem.
I live in South Carolina and I've had the "itch" severely after my daughter was born.  The day after I had her I had this really bad itch.  Before the "itch" I had an occasional dry skin itch, but ever since giving birth to her it's been worse.  My friend and I noticed that anyone with this problem, like you did, has been female.  The "itch" could be from many things like: sudden hormone changes (birth control changes, a baby's birth, aging), thyroid problems, too much yeast in your body, skin diseases, auto-immune problems, etc.  So weird that all of us being women keep seeing male doctors and dermatologists (pardon me if you saw a female), but maybe we all ought to see females of the medical profession.  If any of you have any of the same symptoms or maybe live along the east coast like the two of us, write back.  All of us pulling in together with more information about ourselves could give us more ideas or help.  Thanks!

PS
in case any of you feel writing to discuss this
problem anywhere besides this site my email address
is: ***@****
I travel a lot for my job, and up until about 2 months ago, I spent a lot of time in S.C.  Mostly around Latta and Timmonsville, but would go out to Greenville and through Columbia sometimes.  I spent a lot of time up and down the E. coast from Maryland to Florida.  
I've been looking around the web and found things about R.L.S. that sounds something like this.  I'm not saying that's what is going on with everyone, but it's something to think about.  
I was thinking I may have a thyroid problem.  I get very tired alot and usually feel run down, but I'm still pretty active.  My blood pressure has been low the last couple times it has been checked (both in the past 2 years).  And a few other things, so I'm really not sure.  

Anyways here are a couple links to the pages:  

http://womenshealth.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mhsource.com%2Fhy%2Frls.html

&

http://www.rls.org/about_rls/default.htm

Jestine
Hey, I looked the RLS site up and that's not me.  I may jerk only when I get itching fits and don't scratch.  I don't jerk any during the day or night, and when my skin itch's I don't feel the need to just move my limbs.  I feel the need to dig my fingernails in my skin and pull it off to stop the itching.  As gross as that may sound, that's my reaction to itching that bad.  Does RLS sound like the symptoms you're having?

PS
That screen name I put in there before was
the wrong one (that was an old screen name).
The correct one is ***@****, just in
case you'd rather leave feedback there.  Thanks
I have this problem too.  It's very strange b/c I had it about 3 years ago and it went away.  It is back now...just started a few days ago.  It happens only after a shower.  (This morning I chose not to take a shower, not how I want to handle this in the future! ;)  This is strange:  the only commonality is that the drain in my shower got clogged a few days ago.  When I had it before we had a slow drain in the shower...I have no idea if this has anything to do with.   I am having the drain fixed Monday and will post a comment if that helps.  Does anyone else have a slow drain?
It also seems to start out slow and build up to an intollerable itching (really more crawly than itchy) that makes me crazy.
Any info. is greatly appreciated.  I'll keep you posted on the drain.
Just to let everyone know.  I am a male, and I suffer from the same itching problem.  It used to happen evey once in a while, but now it happens more often.  Mostly on my legs, but sometimes on my chest.  It only occurs after I take a shower.  I found one possible solution to the problem.  Hot showers.  I mean, really hot showers, not to where it will burn you, but really hot.  Hope this helps.

Steve
I have also had this problem for the last 8 years.  (Since my late teens)  It drives my husband crazy, my legs are a mess and I have not worn short skirts or shorts for a very long time.  It seems to clear up for a few weeks in summer time, unless it is really hot, in which case it becomes a great deal worse.  Even when my legs are clear of scabs, there are hundreds of scars.
Things that seem to trigger it are:
stress, heat, sweat, shaving legs then wearing stockings, nylon trousers, pins and needles, dry weather, cold weather.
Things that seems to help it are, cold packs, amolin (a barrier cream with zinc in it), showering or getting up and changing my activity.
Hormones do not seem to have had an effect, as the problem started well after puberty, well before becoming pregnant and has continued through two pregnancys and breastfeeding.
I have reached the point now where I live with it as an unfortunate part of my life, which is otherwise rich and fulfilling.
Hello itchy skin pals... I thought as most did that I was the only one , I am happy to know that I am not alone but sorry for all who suffer form the "itch". I am a healthy 25 year old woman w/ 3 small children . The server itching started about three years ago during the pregancy of my second child. Not sure if that has anything to do with it . Just as most it is only my legs that itch , it usually lasts for 30 minutes or so but with me the only relief I can get is by getting into a warm shower and finishing with cool water then immeditly putting an anti-itch lotion (Neutrogena :soothing relief ) and forcing myself NOT to itch my legs for atleast 20 minutes. This does not happen to me every day in fact the only things that I notice as a regular is that it will start about 15 minutes after I get up in the morning . I live in  Western North Carolina have all my life. Strange , maybe there is a connection. One thought that my husband found is it could be "hard water" and for some getting a water softner has helped. I have not tried that yet.... I wonder if it is a vitamin or mineral deficiency . Well lets keep looking for an answer . Thank-you all for your thoughts and Ideas.
I've commented so many times, I'm a regular here.  I noticed that whenever I had a shower or bath, hot, warm, cold, warm-cold, that I itched.  So I just bathe my privates with soap, kinda like a sponge bath.  After that, I gently rub a damp wash cloth over the rest of my body.  My problem now is that shaving really irritates my skin like the shower did.  I am a woman and I need to shave to feel a little feminine.  Anyone know if waxing would cause an itch like shaving with a razor?  I have had to spend the whole summer in jeans just so no one will look at my legs.  It seems that no matter what I do, I will end up miserable with "the itch".
Some of the people in the site below this one "itching head to toe", have some of the same symtoms (symptoms).  A few people list some things that might help.
If you have itchy or unpredictable skin problems, I strongly urge you NOT to use any type of depilitory! Nair, wax, Nads, smoother/buffer. If you are getting razor burn or nonspecific skin irritations when you shave, I suggest that you first sit in a luke warm bath with all natural salts and use an all natural oatmeal soap to lather up and use a new razor head each time. The new razor will be sharper and more importantly it won't be clogged by old dead skin and hair.
Who knows what we have? It most likely runs deeper than the top layers of our derma, but why take chances scraping off the top layer of our skin with a razor and then transferring it into a deeper layer by a dull razor cut?
Just my humble opinion.
Try an oatmeal bath soap and natural bath salts, use a new razor blade each time you shave. Use only a spritz spray aloe moisturizer after you get out of the tub/shower, pat dry and don't rub.
I cannot believe it.  The internet is great.  I woke up yesterday with itchy ankles -- no rash, just itch.  Today it is even worse and now I have momentary itches all over, but the ankles & legs are the worst.  I live in Virginia -- don't know if geography has anything to do with it.  I have been looking around the internet for possible causes, and found this site. Hope we can figure this out -- this itching business will drive you crazy and I have only itched for a little over a day!!!
I actually found that a hair removal cream helped a lot, although it was difficuolt to find a time when there was no open sores on my legs, as it meant the hair was growing back more sparsely (is that a word?) and also finer and less bristly.  This removed the bristly itch factor, but did not solve the problem completely, just partially.
I stopped doing it after a while because I didn't think it was a good idea while I was pregnant and breastfeeding.
I have also found that wiping my legs over with an antiseptic such as medical hydrogen peroxide on a regular basis (twice a day, every day) helps a bit.
I've used everything in the bath that you can think of and I still itch when I get out.  As far as shaving I have rough, course hairs so when I do shave my legs I have to use a new razor every time.  I've read on some sites that when you shave it cuts the hairs and makes them pointy.  So when they grow back that's why they make your legs itch.  That's why I asked about waxing.  I've used stuff like nair too a long time ago, and that stuff didn't work.  I guess I'll just have to join they guys and spend the rest of my life with hairy legs.  
     So far two or three of you have mentioned the states you live in and I'm just starting to think the water/itch thing is an East Coast problem.  What do you guys/ladies think?

P.S.
Anyone else embarassed like me
about this itching problem and
get the feeling that no one
believes you?
Well, I am still very new to this -- as I said it just started, but it has just about driven me crazy in two and a half days.  My itch may be different -- althought it started on my legs and ankles, it seems to have spread to other parts of my body.  And, yes it does sometimes seem to be like little needles.  

I tried putting Vitamin E on the worst spots this morning and that worked for awhile.  But, I am back to itching and no rash in sight.

As far as anyone believing you, my husband thinks I've gone off the deep end.  Since he cannot see a rash, he thinks the itching is in my head!!  No, it is definitely on my skin!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Believe not believe... It's your body, it's happening to you, it's your body and mind that need to be eased. Ease them. Try not to talk about it too much with people who seemingly don't care.

It's the sad truth that if it isn't happening to someone it doesn't really exist or your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's like having faith in something, you either have it or you don't. With or without physical evidence. Try to prove your case in faith to someone who doesn't have it.

Two of my favorite quotes are:

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you"

And

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion"

Carnegie

I think they go hand in hand.
Hi fellow itchers,
I have this itch too and it's interesting to find so many others with the same condition. I don't live on the East coast so that's not it. I do have hard water, but I've had that for 30 years and why should it have new effect suddenly? When the itch happens I get it about 1 hour after I get up in the morning and intermittantly during the day. If I don't scratch it will go away in 20 minutes or so. Clearly, after reading about all of you, I realize I have a very mild case. It seems to be going away now too.
It started for me about two months ago after a bout of flu (which I've had 4 times in the last 6 months. I have some allergies, I think, which I've developed in the last years. I was living in California and going through menopause when they developed and I haven't figure out if it was the vegetation there or hormones or what. I've been mildly congested since then and I assumed, because the itching seems to be a histamine reaction, that it was some related allergic reaction. I can't associate it with any particular food or pollen or mold or dust, though. I have noticed the itch gets worse with warm moist weather. sweat, irritation(skin) and showers but I don't shave or wear hose or even sythetics. The anti-histamine Clorpheniramine takes care of both the congestion and the itching when it's too much.
The reason I assume it's a histamine overreaction (besides the fact that an anti-histamine makes it go away) is because while there is no rash when I start itching, when I scratch the skin in the area gets very flushed and red and hot. Does this happen to anyone else? Has anyone else found anti-histamines help?
My heart goes out to all of you who have it worse than I do.
When I went to the doctor many months ago for this problem he told me it was a histamine problem.  Which at first I believed, but I'm not certain if it's only histamine.  When I get itchy spells I cannot take of by scratching, I take Zyrtec.  It's an anti-histamine that doesn't make you as drowsy as benedryl does.  The two forms that Zyrtec comes in has 10mg of anti-histamine, and that's the highest mg it has.  You're only supposed to take one, but when I get itch fits I have to take two or three to get it to stop.  Zyrtec without insurance costs $75.00, and I have to take two or three everytime I have a fit.  It only comes in thirty day supply, so you can imagine how fast I can go through that stuff.  I have two kids, so I can't afford $75.00 presciptions.  
     As far as panty-hose making you itch after shaving, well that can't be my problem because I don't wear hose or anything like it.  I'm stumped as to how to completely stop this.  Oh yeah, it started with my legs at first too, but has now spread to other parts.  The days I do so bravely shower completely, when I get out my legs, arms, back, and boo-hind itch.  If I sit on the potty to use the bathroom after I've been sweating, my legs and boo-hind itch.  Since I practically sponge bathe and go natural on the legs, my itching has almost stopped.  When I get nervous or anxious about something my ankles itch.  I hope you others don't having itching fits this bad.  The more the years go by, the more parts decide to itch.  Bad thing is this itch has really only been a severe problem for a year and a half.  
     I believe this does it for all my itching info.  Anyone have comments, give 'em to me.  ~kim
Maybe an east coast thing - except I'm on the east coast of AUSTRALIA!  It is quite a relief to know that there are other people in the world though who have this problem.  I don't believe it is anthing to do with water or environment as I have lived on tank water for two years and have since gone back to our (much) harder town water.  It's nice to hear your opinions though, itch buddies!
The itch is Universal, Dr. Rockoff has posted that at least 80% give or take a few, come to him with many symptoms one of the most prominent is itching. I think it could be an underlying symptom of a host of possibilities. So speculation will keep us going around and around, were all so vastly different in our genetic make up. And because of that, we express allergies to something in different ways.

The reason you itch and not your spouse or children is because they aren't as allergic to or as sensitive to something as you are. I've found that most derm docs use the word hypersensitive, I'm not really sure what this means, because any part of our body that doesn't feel normal should feel hypersensitive, that's how we know somethings unusual.

When you scratch to the point of damaging your skin, or applying something that does more damage is our down fall. Any thing that dries out your skin, alcohol, peroxide is going to be bad news, anything that is petroleum based is clogging the pores and trapping in any dirt debris from your environment and what's under your fingernails. Not to mention, stuff will adhere to the petroleum as you go about your day.

I've used Cetaphil cleanser and lotion for over two years with wonderful results as far as itchiness goes. (But my legs have never been my problem. It's my upper body.)  Dermarest has some good cleansers as well. I don't know if these products are sold outside of the U.S. though.

Does anyone have thickening cuticles or has your heels gotten increasingly drier and thicker? I'm thinking circulation...maybe...speculate speculate....

Greetingz-- I just stumbled on to this wonderful site. I am a 23 year old female, and I can relate with so many of you. I have had a skin condition for about 6 years now, and have no resolution. My main problem is on my legs. However it has spread to my left inner elbow, but never really on my right inner elbow (weird!) The rest of my body is fine,  but sometimes I have a few bumps creep on the sides of my stomach. I have tried several different remedies as well as regular doctors and dermitologists. I have not yet found a serious answer- Results have been -- "Chop your legs off", "You got it from some ancestor who was a farmer working in the field", "Move to France because then you don't have to worry about shaving", "Dont shower", "Dont wash with soap, only water period", and so on. When I first discovered this problem I had mere razor burn in high school. Over the years it has increasingly worsened with more severity.-- I have been told many names for my condition-- Eczema, Folliculitus (folliculitis), Herpes, Scoriscis, etc. Interestingly enough, I had this condition before I even acquired "herpes" which was due to being raped. So, in many ways I have oviously been misdiagnosed. I have spent extreme amounts of money on pills, creams, lotions, and the like.I have also tried over the counter remedies. Some of the different options have included, NADS, Epil Stop, Nair, Electric razors etc. I have used AVEENO which is a life saver-- I prefer the one with Menthol, to help aid for a decrease in itching for 24 hours... I have tried natural options: Oatmeal, Honey, Milk, Hydro Peroxide, alcohol etc. I have also experimented with wrapping my legs in vaseline, or wearing knee high socks at night to "smother the bacteria" Many of the medications listed in the comments  I have used as well. Just as of yesterday I asked my Dr. if there were any experimental treatments at all. He has given me a few samples that are  not FDA approved yet-- So here goes. My most recent Dr. has actually given me the permission to tan-- I have noticed it helps, but I dont exactly color. I did at one point have a dermitologist who actually did a skin biopsy and helped discover some relief for me, but she retired right after that. I also found that exposure to Chlorine has helped dry up the condition somewhat.
I also recently tried a product that was featured in ad in the paper-- A company by the name of :
ACADIA
(1-888-981-7700)or(1-800-664-9130) Based out of Maine

They will give you $100.00 in exchange for your before and after pictures.
I did have some results, but then it stopped working. Its a exfoliation process in which you leave a concoction with the consistentsy of Vaseline for about 8-12 hours, then follow up with a spray 1-2 times a day or as needed. The main ingredients are Salicyic Acid 3.0% and Pyrithone Zinc .25% The amounts are not irritating, just mainly the whole process of how to use the products.

I sleep in silk pants because I dont want my boyfriend to touch me or feel my non-smooth skin.This whole condition does "kill" your view of a nice and silky smooth female body. Therefore I havent worn shorts or sometimes short sleeves for quite awhile. I am ashamed and embarassed because of it. I used to be a cashier in a flower shop and people would look at me weird because some of my condition in on my lower left arm and elbow. I did quit because I thought certain flowers or plants aggravated my condition. I use Neutrogena "Skin Clearing Make-up" to help tone down the redness and scars or scabs thanks to severe itching. My legs, well can't do much about it except cover them up.  I also buy dark sheets because I itch at night and basically have ruined light colored sheets.
I hope I have somewhat helped any of you, and I am open to suggestions myself. I am very thankful I have found this site and know that this isnt "just in your head".

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your responses.
I wanted add the only medication I felt relief from was Prednizone. However due to the toxicity levels of steroids,It was deadly and very addicting.
Well I feel a bit out of place here (being a guy) but I am actually posting for my wife...

My wife is 32, very healthy, very active and no real medical issues in her adult life. Very little to no stress.  And for some reason about 5 months ago she developed this leg itch with no visable rash anywhere on her legs.  She says the itch didn't happen everyday but tended to be more in the middle of the week but now seems to be happening more and more...  even on the weekends which sorta of ruled out the stress thing all together...  Now she has developed a very small lump on a lymph node on the back of her neck which the doctors are going to CT SCAN sometime soon... They first thought she had been bitten by a tick on the head and the lymph node swelled to fight off the bite.  They did blood work and found that she was border line lyme disease (an infection from tick bites, we believe).  Gave her Zithormax which did not shrink the lump, at least at this point (about 3 weeks later).  

In searching sites we found that maybe it could be a lymphoma but the doctors are not really concerned since there is no visable rash on her legs and she's not losing weight, no sweating at night, no fever...  I assumed these were all tale tale signs for Lymphoma which we looked up on the Lymphoma sites on the web (too much information can be a bad thing since it just made us worry even more).

Needless to say this has caused us lots of sleepless nights, the itching and the worry over the lump but we were wondering has any person on this posting found any help.  It is effecting both legs and she indicated that it feels like it's on the inside of her leg.  

We were just wondering if anyone had found an answer to why this seems to be just females and just the legs.... No other parts of her body currently experience this itch.

Thanks for any help or thoughts
BMoore

Thanks for any help or thoughts
BMoore
Hi Everyone ... I too am searching for relief from the itching. I have seen allergists, dermatologists and doctors to no avail.

Searching the net I came across some others suffering the same symptoms ... one mentioned large doses of niacin (B-3) ... I researhced this and found sufficient information that I myself felt confident to start taking it.

Note ... taking large does of nicin can be dangerous ... you should likely clear everything with your doctor ... they will have to do ongoing liver function tests to make sure you are not damaging yourself. Also, many papers warn against the time release form of niacin ... this apparently has damaged peoples livers.

Personally ... I take 1500 mg niacin x 3 times a day (every 8 hours). This is 3 x 500 mg pills ... they cost about $35 for 500 pills up here in Canada ... and you can get it over the counter ... it is not a prescription drug. Also ... at night I also take 1 benadryl and 1 allegra. If I miss the niacin by even 1 hour I start itching. Do not start at 1500 mg ... start at either 500 or 1000 mg ... only move up if you absolutely have to. My doctor told me that the maximum daily dose I can go up to is 6000 mg per day ... I am a 200 lb male.

I also found reference to this treatment under something like orthotherapy having to do with megadoes of vitamins ... it has been used to treat schizophrenics and alcoholics among other things. See Dr Hoffer's research. I do not have the exact web page ... but you might want to start searching from ...

http://www.islandnet.com/~hoffer/hofferhp.htm

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:3xIHgG62QRwC:www.orthomed.org/links/papers/hofschz.htm+hoffer+niacin+saskatchewan+manitoba&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Also ... please be aware, especially the first time, that you will experience a nicin rush ... you are not dying or having some fatal attack ... although some won't get this ... you will likely feel an extremely warm feeling emanating from your forhead and going down your limbs and trunk. After the first few days you will not feel this anymore. Actually the first time it was quite a rush ... I sort of wish it would happen all the time :)

Once you have gotten past this keep taking it every 8 hours like clockwork ... otherwise you will feel some itching.

As to washing ... I only use Pears soap (everything else makes me too itchy) and I only wash my privates, underarms and feet ... I use Nizoral on my hair (and occassionally on my pubic hair and eyelids). The rest of my body I only rinse with warm water. I have found that my itching is also less if I soak in a clean tub of clear water without using any soap.

I have to keep pants or sweatpants on all the time as my legs get very itchy otherwise ... as the moisture or sweat evaporates.

Prior to this treatment, at one point a fan was blowing across my legs at it was extremely painful.

I have had this since approximately 1987-1988 ... it has been extremely taxing ... I have gone many nights and days without sleep.

The other day I came across a web site and the person was found to have Sjogren's Syndrome ... I will have to get some testing to see if this is it (long shot). Researchers at the UNiversity of Toronto and Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto have potentially found a cure for Sjogren's ... but it will be a few years before it gets into clinical trials.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lynnec21/jolynnFrame1Source1.htm

http://www.sjogrens.org/research/news/resnews8_10.07.02.html

Good luck to all. Hopefully we can find a cure for this.

To contact me directly ...

***@****
19$'s to post a question?!!!?!?!???!!!!!

what tha f^%##ck!!!
why are doctors such greedy ripoffs?!!
i can do the research myself without some know-it all doc to say
" annnh!! probably nothin'" and then grinning take my 19 bucks!
GEEZ!!
Hey fellow leg-itchers,

I am also male and have the same problem as all of you... but I don't think it's a gender thing.  I'm pretty sure it's actually related to blood circulation.  I work out pretty regularly, but sometimes I miss a couple of days.  The first workout I do after a break is always TERRIBLY itchy in my legs just because I can feel the blood pumping through it.  

I did some research and apparently this is common for many who walk or jog... also, for those of you who get it in the shower it also makes sense because when you shower it's hot (like exercise) and the blood is rushing to your feet because you're standing.

Also, that's why people don't see any visual irritation like rashes: because it's not an external thing -- it's an internal thing.  I think it relates to the fact that our blood vessels aren't used to getting so much blood (perhaps we all just have generally poor circulation -- does anyone else often get cold feet?) so when they DO get a big surge of warm blood from exercise or taking hot showers, they react by getting itchy!

What do y'all think?!?! I'm curious what people think about this...

Mike

I'm not a doctor, but this seems to be
Hey fellow leg-itchers,

Mike

I'm not a doctor, but this seems to be
i wanted to say to the person who said people think your crazy when you tell them how you suffer (and that's exactly what it is SUFFERING), well your NOT because i suffer the same way.  Except, now my whole body go through the burning, itchy, stinging, pricking sensation.  It use to be just my legs but now it's my chest, belly, arms, legs, back, ankles, heels of my foot and palm of my hands.  My face itches but not the unbearable torturing itch like the rest of my body.  But im sure that if some smart scientist/doctor doesn't think of a solution, cure or relief, my face will be going through the same thing too.  I itch as soon as i take my clothes off.  It's clockwise everyday. It's almost like as soon as air hits my skin, a horrible nightmare is set in motion.  Sometimes all i can do is cry and ball in a fetal position until it stops.  Naturally the more i itch the more i scratch and then i itch even more. My itching has been going on now for years.  I go to doctor after doctor.  They keep telling me "you have dry skin".  And although, that is true.  I know that is NOT why i itch.  Even when my skin is dripping w/moisturizers i still itch, maybe not as severe, but it still hurts.  It's so horrible i just want to scream.  My back, arms and legs are itching now.  Showers/water really agravate my condition.  I hate taking showers, but i have to do so for proper hygiene of course.  But if there was a magic pill that could make me clean w/o showering, I would take it.  Keep the faith people.  Hopefully some smart doctor out there will take interest and help us w/this condition.  I don't know how long I can go on like this.  Wondering when it's going to start, stop and how long it'll last.  Well time to do the lotion thing.  Oh and by the way, I've used claritin, zyrtec, allegra etc.  I've used things the dermatologist gave me and NONE of it works or it works very little.  The only thing i haven't tried are steroid.  Although the idea of taking them scare the life out of me, I'd rather take them and relieve my pain
Make it Stop :-(
Hi Everyone,
I just stumbled upon this site today and I must say that it's a bit of a relief to me to find that I'm not completely imagining this terrible itch!  I too suffer from terrible itch immediately after a shower. I have to be careful about what type of fabrics I wear. Believe it or not, wearing jeans seems to be best for me versus wool or lycra based products. I suffer from post-workout itch on my legs. The minute I am done with my run I rip my clothes off and take a shower because that will sometimes stop the itching before it starts. I agree with the man who posted a note about the blood flow itch reaction. My legs do not itch during a workout but they certainly itch immediately afterwards. Again, it may be in my head, but wearing cotton based products helps me a lot. I'm so sorry to those of you who are unable to find relief. It must interrupt every area of your life! There must be something out there that helps!
I am another victim of this horrible disorder.  There are so many of us...why can't they find a cure.  I've been suffering since I as 13 - I'm now 32.  I've gotten horrible attacks after showers, after swimming in a pool or ocean, while hanging out at home with my legs simply exposed to the air, in the middle of the night while sleeping, while out at a fancy dinner in my nice dress, and while being out in my shorts walking around.  I've learned coping skills - yet it seems so unfair that other people can walk around in shorts, skirts, and dresses with no problems at all.  I just never know when an attack is going to come over me.  It's hard to explain to people - they just think you're a little wacky.  I usually just make up some excuse to not swim in 90 degree weather.  Anyway, coping skills have included jumping into a hot scalding bath - which happens almost daily.  Right after a shower, I put on some kind of pants.  If I plan to wear a dress later, I always put on sweats for a little while first so my legs can "calm down".  God, it even sounds crazy to me.  But I have to say, I googled this today for the first time and I'm soooo glad to see I'm not alone.   I went to a derm once and he told me I was allergic to the air and gave me a cream that didn't help at all.  How can we create more awareness of this disorder???  There are so many of us!!!
I would just like to say that I have been suffering from the exact same burning and itching since I was 12 and I am now 22.  My roomates in college used to look at me like I was crazy because I would be crying because of the "itchy" legs and they just didnt understand because, like all of you, there was no rash.  Reading all of these comments has made me feel so much better.  I have found the same techniques "useful" as LILLY2006, when I feel the itchy legs coming while Im in the shower I turn the SCALDING HOT water on and stay in for 15 minutes.  I also take an allergy medication but the more I read these comments the more Im convinced its not allergy related.  I think that the guys are right about blood circulation.  I also wrap my legs in tight pants or a towel and that helps them too.  Last night I was playing volleyball and I got the feeling it was so bad I had to leave.  Someone said to me "maybe its the long white socks you are wearing". Ha..Im glad there are some people out there who actually understand what im going through.  Thank you for helping me feel internal relief from this problem.  WE DO NEED TO BRING AWARENESS TO THIS DISORDER IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A NAME!!!  
Oh and just to add-THIS IS NOT STRESS RELATED!! So stop telling us that! THANKS
I'm 25 and I've been suffering from this since I was 15. My doctor told me to take benadryl whenever I have the violent attacks and told me that I'm probably just allergic to my soap or laundry detergent. But I have changed my soap several times since then and who wants to take benadryl all the time? It makes you so sleepy.

I get it after I shower and it is especially worse in the winter. I also get it after I run, especially if its in the morning and I will also get it when I shave, to the point where I will dread shaving and just wear pants whenever I can. Sometimes I take benadryl before I shave and just plan on going to bed after wards.

I really only get it on my lower legs and forearms, which has always made me think it was a circulation problem. I had thought that it was dry skin, but whenever I put moisturizer on it seemed to make it even worse. I also wondered if it had to do with going from extreme temps, from hot outdoors to air conditioning, or outdoor cold to indoor heat (I live in South Eastern PA) Something I can not possibly control.

I would try drinking tons of water thinking I was dehydrated, but it didn't seem to make a difference. It usually goes away about 45 minutes after I shower, run, or shave. Those 45 minutes are unbearable though. Instead of scratching, I just rub my legs, it seems to help and also I don't hurt my skin. I too use a wet towel and wrap it tightly around my legs, sometimes helps, but when I take the towel off it goes back to being severe.

To the people I tell that don't have it, they think its a small problem. But I plan my entire day around it. I have to use twice as many towels, one of them is always sopping wet from after I shower, I can't shave except at night because I need to take drugs that make me sleepy. I hate working out because of the itchy effect after wards. I do it anyway but it makes working out twice as hard. I can never take a quick shower and run out the door, I need to plan about 1/2 an hour of itchy suffering into my schedule when getting ready.

I thought I was the only one who had this, its some what of a relief to hear I'm not the only one. Its so horrible and my friends and family don't understand it.  The idea of having to live the rest of my life with this problem is so depressing, I really wish someone could find out what it is.
I think you all should try Sarna cream if you have not already.  It is sold over the counter at most drug stores.  I stumbled on this site as this is a new problem for me.  However, I do think it may be stress-related (sorry, this is not meant to minimalize it at all)- at least for me.  It started the morning after I had the most stressful day of my life and continued for weeks after as I grappled with a stressful time in my life.  I saw a doctor who prescribed hydrocortisone cream, which worked.  However, the itching came back once I stopped.  I am 32 with two young children, who lives a hectic lifestyle- I am a nurse and was attending graduate school.  I have always been a worrier and type A personality. My nursing background of 10 years has helped.  I think certain personality types are prone to this kind of problem.  I think excess histamine is released in stressful times as a defense mechanism of the body.  The itching then causes more stress in itself. The goal is to break that cycle.  The sarna cream had been a life-saver so far for me!! Cross my fingers......along with relaxation techniques such as yoga and deep breathing. Think of people with eczema - it is often potentiated my stress and involves severe itching of the skin.  This is just my hypothesis- and if it helps just one of you overcome this intense itching I am happy.  
I also feel that alot of the recommendations listed above also apply, such as using good shaving techniques and cool compresses.  There is also a condition, for those of you who experience this more with exercise, called cholinergic uticaria.  Researching this condition may help.  Before you begin relying on stronger antihistamines and lotions with steroids (which can thin your skin over time) try the sarna cream and apply right after your shower and anytime you feel the urge to itch for a week or so and see if it helps.  In additon, focus on relaxation activities to get the focus of the itch.
Lack of sleep can take its tool- so you may need benadryl at night until you are feeling more rested and able to cope.  Good luck to you all!!!!
p.s. I think the link to temperature is that when you get warm, there is more blood flow to your legs therefore more histamine is circulated there.  Keeping your legs cool, helps decrease this aggravating blood flow to your legs.  However, a warm shower does help soften the hair follicles for shaving, and shave at the end of your shower with a good moisturizing shaving cream, new razor, and go slow.  Then apply cream as soon as you pat dry.  It may take awhile to ease the itch for those of you who have suffered for so long.  Just have faith that you can and hopefully in time you will reep the rewards of your diligence!!!  Good luck!!
I, too, am an itchy leg and arm sufferer.  I am 36 and can remember it happening since I was a little girl.  I have found that if I take a really hot bath it stops the itch.  I go through the "itches" about once a year for a 1 month period of time, generally in mid to late summer.  I thought it was related to going to the ocean on vacation, but I skipped the ocean this year, and it is still happening.  Nothing else works for me except the really hot bath.  Try it, it might work.  It almost feels as if it numbs my legs.
A related discussion, itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, Trust me on this one... was started.
A related discussion, Leg Itch was started.
A related discussion, how do I stop itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, possible cure for itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Legs was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Ankles was started.
A related discussion, Some help was started.
A related discussion, Re: itching legs was started.
A related discussion, Why do my legs itch? was started.
A related discussion, The itch is killing me was started.
A related discussion, Severe Urticaria lower legs without rash was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs since 7th month of pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, Itching problem was started.
A related discussion, A SOLUTION TO ITCHY LEGS was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, itchinggg was started.
A related discussion, Itching legs was started.
A related discussion, My legs will NOT stop itching... was started.
A related discussion, I found a cure for my itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, Itchy and burning legs was started.
A related discussion, itching on legs was started.
A related discussion, my cure was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation was started.
A related discussion, The Solution to My Itching was started.
A related discussion, Make Itching Stop was started.
I'm a guy and this started to me from 3 days. I don't shave or something my legs won't stop itching when I go to sleep. Like always I take shower every day. I'm very clean person, but have no idea what is it. I thought it is ants the first night when it started, then bed bugs or something. I washed everything again and tried to sleep in another clean bed the next night but still the same. When I wash my legs it doesn't itches or does but not that much to bother me.
I found that regular zertec over the counter will suffice when my hair gets long. I truely believe it's from shaving. I never had this problem until I shaved my legs. I am a 30 year old male that lives in humid new orleans. I am a barber also. I recommend that the ladies should shave once a week to combat the icthing along with lotion after every shower. To my male friends: LEAVE THE BODY HAIR ALONE! do not shave it. It's not worth the problem
I'm so gladto have found this site. I have been experiencing itching for about 5 or so years. Someday are worse than others. It can be triggered by showers, swimming, humidity, sweat. Anything that is wet or moist. I can sleep at night with no covers and be fine but get up and move around for about 30 minutes and the itching starts. I found that if I get up and immediately get dressed my legs do not itch. bit if I am at all warm and sweat just using the restroom will cause my butt and legs to itch. They will itch for about 30 min and then stop. It happens mostly on my legs but not unusual for my arms and back to itch also. My hands and feet never itch. only rarely does my neck or face itch.
Showering is rough. I understand when ppl say they could rip their skin off. Mine is pure itching no pins and needles. For me shaving is not good but I think again I am itchy because of the water or moisture not shaving. I live in Florida and at some time can swim with no itching but get-out and rinse off in the shower and the itching starts. swimming in the ocean also at times causes me to itch. I'm looking forward some info that help understand why this happens but am relieved that I am not alone.  
Oh dear God! Someone please make the itching stop. No one understands. I had idea there were others dealing with this too. Then I found this forum. I guess no one else has a cure yet. I'm going on 3 years with this. I agree it is not stress. It is not athlete's foot. No rash no relief. Its not regional. Its just pure never ending agony. Warmth makes mine worse. Cold relieves it some. Atarax doesn't help. I even soaked my feet in pure bleach and had a wire rust brush to scratch them with. Nothing helps really. Keep the ideas coming. I'm trying it all.
A related discussion, itchy legs! was started.
I am 23 years old and have had this problem since I was about 6. My lower legs are the worst by far! I also get it on my upper legs but not quite as bad as lower. Sometimes, on really bad days I'll get it on my forearms. I get this itchy, sort of stinging, pins and needles kind of itch. Itching it doesn't help at all, it doesn't make it go away and it doesn't feel good or bring any kind of relief. I get it after having a shower, and sometimes will feel it coming while I'm in the shower. I get it when I shave my legs. I seem to get it in that mid-season time between winter and spring. I usually don't get it at all in the summer and it's the worst in the winter. Very often I can't have my legs exposed (no shorts, capris, or skirts) because that will make them itch. I have lived in Victoria, BC, Calgary, AB, all over the Okanagan Valley, BC and even in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I found that it was worse in Calgary than anywhere else. I once wore capri pants to class in Calg and had to get up and leave part way through to go back to res and put pants on because my itching got so bad.  I do think that it is partly brought on by stress. You can be stresses out about something and not really realize it. However I know that stress is NOT the only cause. I have tried only showering at night, only showering in the morning, using the hottest water, using water as cold a I could get away with without being super uncomfortable. I have tried only having baths, I have tried baby oil in the tub and no other soap. I can't use soap on my body, I only wash my privates. I have tried so many kinds of soap. I have to put lotion on my legs AS SOON as I get out of the shower and then put pj or sweat pants on right after. I can't wear anything tight around my legs until after the itching is gone or once it's been long enough that I'm sure it won't come. Sometimes it doesn't come, sometimes it lasts 1 minute sometimes 45 or longer or anywhere in between. It has brought me to tears many times because it is so intense. The only thing that I seems to help me a bit is to try my hardest to relax when it comes and then apply pressure to the itchiest parts (mine moves around all over my legs). If it's a bad spell then I will sit on my bed or the floor with my legs out in front of me and rub them with my hands up and down (with pants on, or with my sheets wrapped around my legs). I don't rub them hard at all, I just find that the feeling of my hands moving up and down sort of masks the itching. It's never a sure fix but I do get some relief from it.

I am going to go to as many doctors as I need to until I find an answer to this. Now that I know about this forum I will keep everyone posted on anything I find out
female, east coast, not hard water, first time itching.
it's 5:20 AM and I was woken up 2 hours ago by my shins itching terrible. I immediately checked for a bug bite, nothing. no scar, scrape, rash, bumps, or bites. constant, non-stop, severe itch, just starting to settle after 2 hours, used only what I have here now, caladryl and then lubriderm. took about a half hour for the caladryl to be effective, still itches but not as severe. I feel for everyone that has posted on this page and hope this will be a one time occurance as it seems there isn't exactly a cure.
does anyone remember the very first time their legs itched? did it happen one day and continue from them on?
A related discussion, help! D: was started.
A related discussion, Itching worse in hot climates was started.
Am I allergic to water?!!! 

Someone Please help me with my itchy and painful skin after a shower - it's driving me crazy!!

After a shower, (and interestingly, rarely after a bath) my skin becomes incredibly itchy and painful, usually lasting about half an hour until it subsides.
When I get out of the shower I dry my skin and apply an emollient moisturiser quickly. I get the itching regardless of whether or not I apply the moisturiser, and whether I let my skin air-dry or use a towel. The itch is all over my body, but worst on my legs. I call it an itch, but it's also very painful - it feels like someone stabbing my legs all over with pins, or sometimes as if my legs are on fire! It drives me absolutely mad - it's painful and uncomfortable, and adds about half an hour to the time it takes me to get ready in the mornings!!
A related discussion, Itching Legs & arms was started.
A related discussion, I found some help!! was started.
A related discussion, Very Itchy legs was started.
Okay, well I'm from South Carolina and the itching started about 2 months ago, where I woke up and my legs were itching horribly now the itching starts after I take a shower and shave. I use a razor with shaving cream like already made on it. Well I used it and my legs itched for an hour afterwards then I put on Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. That stopped the itching.....but not completely. I took a shower again and actually used shavin cream and a razor without shaving cream made into it and surprisingly it didn't itch. Well today I took a shower and used the razor with shaving cream made in to it and it itchedd really bad. I used a whole bottle of that Jergens lotion and now its like kinda a little itchy but not horrbile. This is gettin really aggervatin. I'm about at the point of sayin screw shaving. The itching feels like when your were littler and you were outside rolling in the grass and you came in and you where all itchy and hot. Its not because of having kids or anything like that because I'm only 13 so help pleasee.
-Judy
A related discussion, i can't believe i'm not alone was started.
A related discussion, itchy leg cure was started.
My legs itch constantly especially when its cold. Of course worse after showers shaving etc. Though it does not relieve it completely using aveeno daily moistuizing body wash followed immediately by aveeno lotion drenching my legs has been the closest to relief i have found
Use aveeno
A related discussion, Itching  was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs...dress pants? Fabric softener? was started.
A related discussion, Make it stop! was started.
A related discussion, dfg dsh dsh sdh was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Legs, No rash, Affects Mostly Women was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Skin, No Rash was started.