Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation
For the last four years I have had a problem with my legs itching.  When it started it was only an occasional problem, but it has developed into an everyday occurance.  When my legs itch it is usually my lower legs, but my upper legs will itch too.  There is never any sign of a rash or any kind of irritation on my skin - it just itches like crazy.  Sometimes it feels more like a "pins and needles" feeling, like when your hand or foot falls asleep.  It almost feels like every little hair on my legs are poking me.  I've tried switching detergents, soaps, not using fabric softener or bleach, I've used anti-itch lotions from my dermatologist, but nothing helps.  It gets so severe at times that it brings me to tears.  Sometimes it will get so bad it will wake me up in the middle of the night.  It can last only a few minutes or it can last days.  Usually it seems to be aggravated by something, the most common causes being nylons, water (taking a shower or swimming), humidity, and shaving.  But sometimes it doesn't seem to be caused by anything at all.  I have been to several doctors trying to solve this - and all I've been able to determine so far is that I am not having an allergic reaction to anything.  I will do anything to make this stop, it has been going on for so long now.  Not to mention that I'm getting married in a few months, and I would hate for my itchy legs to ruin my wedding day and my honeymoon!  I have already had two doctors tell me "I don't know what else you can do", so any suggestions on what this is or how I can treat it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
A related discussion, Severe Urticaria lower legs without rash was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs since 7th month of pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, Itching problem was started.
A related discussion, A SOLUTION TO ITCHY LEGS was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, itchinggg was started.
A related discussion, Itching legs was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Legs was started.
A related discussion, My legs will NOT stop itching... was started.
A related discussion, I found a cure for my itchy legs was started.
A related discussion, Itchy and burning legs was started.
A related discussion, itching on legs was started.
A related discussion, my cure was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation was started.
A related discussion, The Solution to My Itching was started.
A related discussion, Make Itching Stop was started.
I'm a guy and this started to me from 3 days. I don't shave or something my legs won't stop itching when I go to sleep. Like always I take shower every day. I'm very clean person, but have no idea what is it. I thought it is ants the first night when it started, then bed bugs or something. I washed everything again and tried to sleep in another clean bed the next night but still the same. When I wash my legs it doesn't itches or does but not that much to bother me.
I found that regular zertec over the counter will suffice when my hair gets long. I truely believe it's from shaving. I never had this problem until I shaved my legs. I am a 30 year old male that lives in humid new orleans. I am a barber also. I recommend that the ladies should shave once a week to combat the icthing along with lotion after every shower. To my male friends: LEAVE THE BODY HAIR ALONE! do not shave it. It's not worth the problem
I'm so gladto have found this site. I have been experiencing itching for about 5 or so years. Someday are worse than others. It can be triggered by showers, swimming, humidity, sweat. Anything that is wet or moist. I can sleep at night with no covers and be fine but get up and move around for about 30 minutes and the itching starts. I found that if I get up and immediately get dressed my legs do not itch. bit if I am at all warm and sweat just using the restroom will cause my butt and legs to itch. They will itch for about 30 min and then stop. It happens mostly on my legs but not unusual for my arms and back to itch also. My hands and feet never itch. only rarely does my neck or face itch.
Showering is rough. I understand when ppl say they could rip their skin off. Mine is pure itching no pins and needles. For me shaving is not good but I think again I am itchy because of the water or moisture not shaving. I live in Florida and at some time can swim with no itching but get-out and rinse off in the shower and the itching starts. swimming in the ocean also at times causes me to itch. I'm looking forward some info that help understand why this happens but am relieved that I am not alone.  
Oh dear God! Someone please make the itching stop. No one understands. I had idea there were others dealing with this too. Then I found this forum. I guess no one else has a cure yet. I'm going on 3 years with this. I agree it is not stress. It is not athlete's foot. No rash no relief. Its not regional. Its just pure never ending agony. Warmth makes mine worse. Cold relieves it some. Atarax doesn't help. I even soaked my feet in pure bleach and had a wire rust brush to scratch them with. Nothing helps really. Keep the ideas coming. I'm trying it all.
A related discussion, itchy legs! was started.
I am 23 years old and have had this problem since I was about 6. My lower legs are the worst by far! I also get it on my upper legs but not quite as bad as lower. Sometimes, on really bad days I'll get it on my forearms. I get this itchy, sort of stinging, pins and needles kind of itch. Itching it doesn't help at all, it doesn't make it go away and it doesn't feel good or bring any kind of relief. I get it after having a shower, and sometimes will feel it coming while I'm in the shower. I get it when I shave my legs. I seem to get it in that mid-season time between winter and spring. I usually don't get it at all in the summer and it's the worst in the winter. Very often I can't have my legs exposed (no shorts, capris, or skirts) because that will make them itch. I have lived in Victoria, BC, Calgary, AB, all over the Okanagan Valley, BC and even in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I found that it was worse in Calgary than anywhere else. I once wore capri pants to class in Calg and had to get up and leave part way through to go back to res and put pants on because my itching got so bad.  I do think that it is partly brought on by stress. You can be stresses out about something and not really realize it. However I know that stress is NOT the only cause. I have tried only showering at night, only showering in the morning, using the hottest water, using water as cold a I could get away with without being super uncomfortable. I have tried only having baths, I have tried baby oil in the tub and no other soap. I can't use soap on my body, I only wash my privates. I have tried so many kinds of soap. I have to put lotion on my legs AS SOON as I get out of the shower and then put pj or sweat pants on right after. I can't wear anything tight around my legs until after the itching is gone or once it's been long enough that I'm sure it won't come. Sometimes it doesn't come, sometimes it lasts 1 minute sometimes 45 or longer or anywhere in between. It has brought me to tears many times because it is so intense. The only thing that I seems to help me a bit is to try my hardest to relax when it comes and then apply pressure to the itchiest parts (mine moves around all over my legs). If it's a bad spell then I will sit on my bed or the floor with my legs out in front of me and rub them with my hands up and down (with pants on, or with my sheets wrapped around my legs). I don't rub them hard at all, I just find that the feeling of my hands moving up and down sort of masks the itching. It's never a sure fix but I do get some relief from it.

I am going to go to as many doctors as I need to until I find an answer to this. Now that I know about this forum I will keep everyone posted on anything I find out
female, east coast, not hard water, first time itching.
it's 5:20 AM and I was woken up 2 hours ago by my shins itching terrible. I immediately checked for a bug bite, nothing. no scar, scrape, rash, bumps, or bites. constant, non-stop, severe itch, just starting to settle after 2 hours, used only what I have here now, caladryl and then lubriderm. took about a half hour for the caladryl to be effective, still itches but not as severe. I feel for everyone that has posted on this page and hope this will be a one time occurance as it seems there isn't exactly a cure.
does anyone remember the very first time their legs itched? did it happen one day and continue from them on?
A related discussion, help! D: was started.
A related discussion, Itching worse in hot climates was started.
Am I allergic to water?!!! 

Someone Please help me with my itchy and painful skin after a shower - it's driving me crazy!!

After a shower, (and interestingly, rarely after a bath) my skin becomes incredibly itchy and painful, usually lasting about half an hour until it subsides.
When I get out of the shower I dry my skin and apply an emollient moisturiser quickly. I get the itching regardless of whether or not I apply the moisturiser, and whether I let my skin air-dry or use a towel. The itch is all over my body, but worst on my legs. I call it an itch, but it's also very painful - it feels like someone stabbing my legs all over with pins, or sometimes as if my legs are on fire! It drives me absolutely mad - it's painful and uncomfortable, and adds about half an hour to the time it takes me to get ready in the mornings!!
A related discussion, Itching Legs & arms was started.
A related discussion, I found some help!! was started.
A related discussion, Very Itchy legs was started.
Okay, well I'm from South Carolina and the itching started about 2 months ago, where I woke up and my legs were itching horribly now the itching starts after I take a shower and shave. I use a razor with shaving cream like already made on it. Well I used it and my legs itched for an hour afterwards then I put on Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. That stopped the itching.....but not completely. I took a shower again and actually used shavin cream and a razor without shaving cream made into it and surprisingly it didn't itch. Well today I took a shower and used the razor with shaving cream made in to it and it itchedd really bad. I used a whole bottle of that Jergens lotion and now its like kinda a little itchy but not horrbile. This is gettin really aggervatin. I'm about at the point of sayin screw shaving. The itching feels like when your were littler and you were outside rolling in the grass and you came in and you where all itchy and hot. Its not because of having kids or anything like that because I'm only 13 so help pleasee.
-Judy
A related discussion, itchy legs (sometimes hands and wrists) no rash, no bites, no redness was started.
A related discussion, i can't believe i'm not alone was started.
A related discussion, itchy leg cure was started.
My legs itch constantly especially when its cold. Of course worse after showers shaving etc. Though it does not relieve it completely using aveeno daily moistuizing body wash followed immediately by aveeno lotion drenching my legs has been the closest to relief i have found
Use aveeno
A related discussion, Itching  was started.
A related discussion, Itchy legs...dress pants? Fabric softener? was started.
A related discussion, Make it stop! was started.
A related discussion, legs and ankles itch with no sign of external irritation was started.
A related discussion, dfg dsh dsh sdh was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Legs, No rash, Affects Mostly Women was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Skin, No Rash was started.
A related discussion, Itchy leg cause was started.
A related discussion, itchy biting legs no rash was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Dermatologists in your area?