Itchy legs at night

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy legs at night

Hi. I hope someone can help. I'm an American that has been living in Qatar for the past eight months. This problem I have has been bothering me for most of this time. My wife isn't experiencing the same symptoms.

I often wake up at before dawn with extremely itchy legs. It usually happens at that time, and only when I'm at home. Only my legs display these symptoms. They do feel itchy sometimes after a shower, but not as severe (almost like an after-effect of whatever bothered me at night). I am a deep sleeper, and this itch on both my legs doesn't fail to wake me up night after night, month after month. I use moisturizer hoping that it helps (it doesn't).

I recently came back from a visit to the US, and I can say I never woke up from itching while there. A few days after getting there, I forgot that I had the problem at all. When I got back, I was going to sleep around dawn each night. Interestingly, the problem didn't come back until tonight. I went to bed earlier, and woke up with the same intense itching as before about an hour and a half before dawn.

I thought it might be bed bugs because of the timing of the itch, but as I understand it they leave visible bumps. I have none (just intense itching at that time of night).

Dust mites might be present here, and I may be allergic. However, I don't display any other symptoms of being allergic to something right now. And why is it only my legs that are itching? And why only intensely an hour before dawn?

It's not soap, detergent, or the fabric I wear (I've tried eliminating those things already). What am I missing?

Just in case someone thinks I may be crazy, I can now prove I'm not. I just talked to my father who was here for a visit, and he admitted to me that he had the same exact symptoms while staying here in my house an few days ago.

Please help...
Does no one have any serious ideas or suggestions? If the doctors don't know then I guess I'm out of luck. Although annoyed by my difficult situation, it is interesting in a way.

Regards

hi atassi
i dont think it is anything to do with the bed or where you are, but just incase have you got another room you can sleep in for a trial to see if the same thing happens?
the reason i say i dont think it is this is that i have suffered with itcy legs mainly at night for years and i have moved in that time an nothin aliviates it.
you seem to have the same sort of symptoms as myself and i have ruled out just about everything that it could be to do with the environment. i have read on one website that it could be pressure hives where it starts as an itch and the more you itch the more intense it gets. people have suggested antihistamines which i will be trying soon you can either try them to or wait for me to try them and write back.

hope this helps
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be dust mites or bed bugs .However , you do not show any visible rash on the skin. Bed bugs would present with dark red , tender to itchy spots. They may also be terribly itchy. Dust mites may also present with itchiness. Do you have any known allergies?

Itchiness may also be a sign of an underlying disease condition such as liver or kidney disease. You have not mentioned of any associated symptoms in your post. This is likely to be an external trigger here as you have noted your father experiencing the same symptom also.  You may seek a complete physical examination with your doctor. Blood tests to determine kidney and liver function may be helpful if indicated.

Have you ever been checked for type 2 diabetes. I am a type 2 and when my sugar levels get high I get exteremely itchy legs. I sometimes scratch them until they bleed. I also get twitchy legs. These conditions subside when my sugar levels drop - medication Metformin. Red wine is helpful as the alcohol lowers the sugar level.
Good luck
Mike
Thank you very much to everyone who responded. I thought I should leave an update to the condition.

I am still in Qatar. I still don't know exactly what caused the extreme discomfort I had before, but I found that it is some sort of allergy. Maybe to dust. Maybe to something else.

How did I fix the problem? I took a Claritin 10 mg tablet by chance. It's obviously not just for runny noses and other allergy symptoms. It allowed me to sleep without discomfort.

Shadowtear, you were right.

I didn't need to take one each day. Amazingly, the harsh itching I had was completely controlled with just one 10 mg tablet every 7-10 days. Recently I have started taking 5 mg loratidine tablets (Claritin is the brand name) with the same results.

Responding to Dr. Lacuesta and to Muttley, I am pre-diabetic (not yet thankfully although it runs in my family). I am assuming that the effect of the antihistamine shows that I (my legs) have some sort of allergy in this country I'm in. However, I will keep your information in mind for the future.

Thank you all.

Atassi
hi everyone.

My name is Miguel.I'm from Spain and for the past 2 months I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms as the creator of this thread described. Extremely intense itch in my legs at night, especially a couple of hours before dawn. For work reason lately i've moved to Brazil from Spain and i've been sleeping in lots of hotel rooms with different types of sheets but unfortubatelly the problem persists. I've been doing some research online and i've come up a couple of articles explaining that chronic leg itch is something quite common for elder people or people with allergies or suffering from some kind of infection. In my case im only 26 years old. I've never had any known allergies and the only symptom of a potential infection is the itch. I don't suffer from any medical condition, that im aware of.I should have gone to see the doctor when i was in Spain but since now Im in Brazil and i dont have easy access to quality healthcare (im not covered by my insurance here) I would be so greatful if someone knowledgeble could advise me on what i could do to aleviate this unbearable itch??i can't sleep at night. thanks  in advance

Miguel
I have had the same problem for several years. Doc no nothing but hot water on the area for a time will stop the itch for at least 24 hrs or more.  They say it may be sometimg to do with nerve endings.  Is worse when sweating.  Is more a young girl condition than a man thing.  Said to be on trunk area and legs of girls.  Until a Dr gets the condition, we may never get a cure.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers