Itchy legs...dress pants? Fabric softener?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have had very itchy legs for almost four years now.  Also get some spots on my vulva and on my forearms, on or near my elbow. It always starts as a tiny spot that itches so bad I can't stand it, and have to scratch/pick until I have removed a small spot of skin. For me, this started after 3 things occurred around the same time: 1) I moved to a new city 2) I was sick for about 6 weeks wth a bad cold then Strep Throat 3) I stopped taking birth control (IUD removed).  At first I thought it was related to something in the new location, but we have been back in our original city for a year now and it hasn't gotten better.

Someone on a similar thread posted they use a gentle loofah in the shower...I think the loofah helps because of exfoliation.  It may also be a good idea to apply a lotion or spray that is antibacterial and also an analgesic (pain reliever), since pain and itch are very closely related.  I have found that spraying Solarcaine on my legs is helpful, especially if I have scratched myself until I bleed in some spots. Helps to prevent infection and also stops the itch.

For me, things that I know irritate this condition are nylons or leggings/pants with nylon, any kind of physical exertion when I haven't been excercising in a while (ie: climbing 2-3 flights of stairs) or eating/drinking something with caffeine. Try sitting in a bath that is not too hot and adding something soothing to the water. Chamomile tea bags, baking soda, oatmeal and esp. turmeric all seem to work well.  Turmeric has great antibacterial and anti-imflamatory properties. You can also drink turmeric tea. Also recommend taking a probiotic to aid in digestion/waste removal. Ay toxins that have not been able to leave your system through the usual route, will be in your blood and sweat. So removal of toxins is critical. There are a lot of toxins in our foods/drinks that we don't even think about because the food companies put them in and we don't read the lables or know how bad these things can be when they build up in our system over time. A few of the "biggies" are gluten, soy, and sugar.

I have always used non-scented detergents, soaps, and lotions, but have found two lotions recently that seem to help.  One is Burt's Bees Soothingly Sensitive body lotion.  The other is pure coconut oil.  I have heard pure hemp oil is also helpful for some people. Still don't know the underlying cause but may go for allergy testing and bloodwork soon.

Does anyone have tips for clothes/laundry?  I have a professional job and must wear dress pants...most of which contain nylon. Any good dress pants for ladies that don't contain nylon? Also, I use Bounce Free and Clear dryer sheets for fabric softener. Has anyone tried something they find is better?

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers